X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting O-Line Stat

So one stat that may make the o-line look a little better:

Lock and Rypien: 80 combined drop backs, they've been sacked 2 times

Driskell: 75 drop backs, he's been sacked 11 times.

That's not to say the o-line has been fantastic, because clearly they've had their struggles. But the sacks certainly seem to be a much bigger problem when Driskell is in.

I wonder about pressures are Qbs have had . I heard on the radio today that Rivers has been pressured 17 times this yr so far . When he was a Charger he was pressured 14 times a game on avg.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

That's not to say the o-line has been fantastic, because clearly they've had their struggles. But the sacks certainly seem to be a much bigger problem when Driskell is in.
      I think lock and rypien has been calling blitz better
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
        I think lock and rypien has been calling blitz better
        There was an obvious difference when Rypien came in for Driskel. I recall a play that was, I think, a pass to Gordon down the left sideline that Rypien just floated out there almost immediately. As I recall there was a ton of pressure on the play but there was no way that anyone was going to get to Rypien because the ball came out so quickly. Which is impressive because it was a really nicely thrown ball - right on time and on target. I noticed a lot of little things like that from Rypien. I don't know how much a 'strong arm' can be coached up. I do know that it can be, but I don't know if Rypien is at his ceiling right now as far as that goes. If he can routinely put more zip on the ball then the Broncos have something with him.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Rypien has the ability to deliver the ball quickly. That keeps his sack numbers lower.

Both Lock and Driskel have the same mobility that should keep them from getting sacked. Problem with Driskel is there are a lot of times his mind freezes when he sees pressure. It is not 100% of the time but it is more often than not.

Our offensive game planning is pretty crappy in terms of designing and calling plays that gets the ball out of the hands of the QB and into the play makers hands...compared to other teams. From everything I have seen of our offense so far I with we would have kept our old offensive coaches...hopefully we will evolve as a team in terms of offensive plays and play calling.

Our team pass protection is definitely inferior to a lot of other teams in the NFL
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Yeah - I actually thought the OL did a decent job this week - maybe they just need some game time together - 40% is new and another 20% transient
            Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

This was the experience last year, Flacco vs Lock. One guy got sacked a lot. The other, a rookie at that, was sacked once per game, which is pretty reasonable.

This is why athletic, strong armed QBs can add so much value. Look at Mahomes and the others who can throw and run with pretty much equal agility. Sacks are not going to be easy when you have QBs who can use whatever time they have to zip a pass, avoid a single rusher, or take off if necessary. Put a slower to react QB behind the same Oline, and those Oline passing stats will not look as good.

I am highlighting Mahomes, but I could substitute with Wilson, Jackson, and others. But watch Mahomes when he is pressured. Odds are he will find a way out, and a positive outcome a reasonably high % of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                ............... But watch Mahomes when he is pressured. Odds are he will find a way out, and a positive outcome a reasonably high % of the time.
                That is exactly what makes some QBs like Mahomes and Wilson great and has Cam Newton/Lamar Jackson being dominant until they meet a team that shuts them down completely.

Those are the red flags when you have a QB that does well only against certain types of competition. What makes Mahomes and Wilson great is that you cannot find a singular formular to shut them down, and they don't have the games where they score 3 points. I have an uneasy feeling about Lock as there is a log of similarities to Cutler that I disliked very early. Lock seems the same mold - amazing one week like the Texans game and then you put up 3 points the next week.

If you don't frequently win at least 3 in a row against great competition, then there is no chance to succeed in the playoffs. You need to be able to carry the team when things are hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

The O-line has been pourous. Lock and Driskel are much more mobile. Lock seen to have better instinct but but he and Driskel don't seem to identify where pressure is going to come from.

Rypien send to have better awareness pre-snap that I think accounts for him avoiding pressure but gets sloppy trying to throw in tight spaces, maybe where he thinks the pay will be based on his early read of the defense.

Driskel's sacks, Rypien's ints... the net result is just about the same unless you give up a short field to the defense or worse, a pick-six.

We are struggling with inexperience and talent asking other things.

I'm frustrated with Lock's injury. I believe he has the talent. Missing these past games would have been valuable for him learning against tough defenses.

Comment

Working...
                  X