286 tackles in one season?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 286 tackles in one season?!

Randy gradishar.........how did he actually get 286? i wasnt round back then........but tahts amazing.........
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

wouldnt that have been in 14 games also?

Comment

It said 16 but idunno was 79 i think.........
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
        Randy gradishar.........how did he actually get 286? i wasnt round back then........but tahts amazing.........

Are you sure - that seems awful high

Comment

where do you see this
          ?

Comment

Yea that has to be some sort of record in the NFL.

Comment

This was 1978, 16 games.

Randy was just one of those types who was just after the ball all of the time. Kind of like Ray Lewis of late.

Man had ball = Randy attacked man!

DJ Williams has that attitude!!!

Comment

Exactly! The man averaged 200 tackles per year. That's unheard of. That's why it's such a travesty that he isn't in the HoF. A lot of people on here are too young to remember, but just imagine.. as good a player as Al Wilson is, he isn't near the player Gradishar was in his prime.

Gradishar was a big hitter, maybe not as big as Wilson, but he was also a sure tackler. Of course back then it wasn't all about getting your hit on ESPN highlights so guys would make sure they made the tackle instead of going for the knockout blow every time.

My point isn't to knock on Al Wilson, I'm a big Al Wilson fan, but it's to sing the praises of the guy that I think is most deserving of the HoF, but isn't in.
                "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

Well, after meeting him this year, I have to say I have a little less respect for him than I did before. BUT, he certianly deserves a bust in the hall, no question there!

Comment

Gradishar was a great player, no doubt. He deserves to be in the HOF.

The big question about the 286 tackles is part of what is keeping Gradishar out of the HOF. There are many HOF voters that question how the Broncos kept stats back then. Many of them say the Broncos recorded all assists as solo tackles. So if two people assisted on the tackle then both players got credit for a solo tackle. How true this is I don't know, but after watching Gradishar for a large part of his career, he made a lot of tackles for the Orange Crush. He was the unquestioned leader of that defense and he was one of the top 2 or 3 MLB's in the game during his playing career.

Comment

Gradishar was the best defensive player Denver has ever had including "tombstone" Jackson, Atwater, Meck, and everyone else. Whether it was run inside or outside, whether it was pass short or long, each play/every play he was there. The offense couldn't seem to block him no matter how many men were assigned the task.

I would often just watch him rather than watching the football. He would catch up to it soon enough.

He is as deserving of hall of fame as Elway was on offense and both are better than two thirds of the hall of fame players. Call me a homer but I believe every word of it to my core.

Its a shame he hasn't already been inducted.

Comment

Originally posted by bro1ncos
                        Gradishar was a great player, no doubt. He deserves to be in the HOF.

The big question about the 286 tackles is part of what is keeping Gradishar out of the HOF. There are many HOF voters that question how the Broncos kept stats back then. Many of them say the Broncos recorded all assists as solo tackles. So if two people assisted on the tackle then both players got credit for a solo tackle. How true this is I don't know, but after watching Gradishar for a large part of his career, he made a lot of tackles for the Orange Crush. He was the unquestioned leader of that defense and he was one of the top 2 or 3 MLB's in the game during his playing career.
                        Yeah, I've heard the controversy before about how all teams used to keep their own tackling stats. There probably is some validity to that. Either way, for some reason Harry Carson is getting a lot more push for the HoF than Gradishar. I watched both of them play and I don't see why Carson would stand out to the voters, but not Gradishar. The only conclusion I can come to is the famed "east coast bias" that a lot of sports writers have. I thought Gradishar was a better player than Banks, but that's just my $.02 worth.

By the same token even Derrick Thomas (RIP) is getting a major push. I can only assume because of the tragic accident that claimed him. If you look at it objectively he was pretty much a pass rusher that lined up at LB. Yes, he was effective. Was he HoF worthy? If I had a vote, it would take a lot of persuading to get me to vote yes.
                        Last edited by spikerman; 01-30-2005, 03:02 PM.
                        "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

Comment

can i have alink to see his stats???

I am realy suprised to hear of that kind of numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DENVER BRONCO56

Sorry, I cant provide a link to a book. Just buy any recent Broncos media guide. They have everything!!!

Pehaps someone else???

Comment

Originally posted by DENVER BRONCO56

Here are some decent links:

http://broncos.gazette.com/fullstory.php?id=1709

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...1%257E,00.html

Comment

Working...
                              X