Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake restructuring because of poor play???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake restructuring because of poor play???

Does anyone think Jake is restructuring for the second time to win fans and ownership over? I am sure he isnt completely satisfied with the year he had. Although many on this board are more than satisfied with Jake.

Just wondering if this contract business has anything to do with his play, the finger, or his new deal and signing bonus

No idea why he did it.. I would probably have to ask him. But I'd say he did it for the 3 reasons you mentioned.
    R.I.P. Darrent Williams

R.I.P. Damien Nash

Comment

I don't know. I do think that Jake is a good leader and a good team player and respect him for that. I think that is the main reason for doing this. But it could be an effort to win the fans. I like Jake, I am just not certain that he is good enough to get the Broncos to the SuperBowl. Either way, class act showing that the money isn't as important as the team.
      Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Not taking away from Jake but this is a good thing for him. He's most likely converting base salary into bonus money which he receives up front. Here an example of what the ramifications might be:

Jake's base salary for this year is reduced say by $1.5 million (just a guess for illustration) and converted into bonus money. With 5 years left on his contract, that bonus money is prorated over the 5 years for a cap hit of $300,000 per year.

So, we'll save $1.5 million this year in base salary but take an additional cap hit of $300,000 for a net savings of $1.2 million this year. In summary, Jake gets $1.5 million right now instead of over the course of the season while the Broncos save a net $1.2 million this season but will have an extra $300,000 cap hit the following 4 years, assuming we don't cut him. If we cut Jake before his contract is up, what ever prorated bonus money that is still unaccounted for will accelerate onto that year's cap.

Restructuring is good for Jake, good for the Broncos in the short term, but bad for the Broncos long term. The idea being that our salary cap in future years will be in better shape to deal with the extra cap hits.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
          Not taking away from Jake but this is a good thing for him. He's most likely converting base salary into bonus money which he receives up front. Here an example of what the ramifications might be:

Jake's base salary for this year is reduced say by $1.5 million (just a guess for illustration) and converted into bonus money. With 5 years left on his contract, that bonus money is prorated over the 5 years for a cap hit of $300,000 per year.

So, we'll save $1.5 million this year in base salary but take an additional cap hit of $300,000 for a net savings of $1.2 million this year. In summary, Jake gets $1.5 million right now instead of over the course of the season while the Broncos save a net $1.2 million this season but will have an extra $300,000 cap hit the following 4 years, assuming we don't cut him. If we cut Jake before his contract is up, what ever prorated bonus money that is still unaccounted for will accelerate onto that year's cap.

Restructuring is good for Jake, good for the Broncos in the short term, but bad for the Broncos long term. The idea being that our salary cap in future years will be in better shape to deal with the extra cap hits.
          Are you suggesting that this is purely financial for Jake?

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange

now if he could only spread his ints out like that
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

It is purely financial for both parties involved. Broncos get extra cap space now, Plummer gets more guaranteed money in his contract.

To your first question: I have yet to see a true # 1 starting QB on any NFL football team since the Salary Cap came to be, not take a pay cut if asked by the team. The QB is looked upon as the leader of the team. What better way to lead and help the team during the off-season then by refigureing your salary numbers, if it will help bring in better talent around the team as a whole allowing the team to sign people to fill needed spots.
              2007 Season- Allllll Readddddy!!!!! #27

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho
                now if he could only spread his ints out like that
                Yeah it would be straight if we could back load his interceptions to the end of his contract.

Comment

I'm saying there was no reason for him NOT to restructure his contract. It is only a good thing for him, not in any way a sacrifice. I'm not even hinting that Jake this reflects badly on Jake; rather it just doesn't reflect favorably on him, either.

This had nothing to do with his play. This was simply a financial maneuver on the Broncos' part that helped themselves in the short run but was nothing but good for Jake.
                  ------

Comment

To each his own I guess... If he wants to re-restructure his contract then let him. Hey its saving the Broncos a few bucks...™
                    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
                      To each his own I guess... If he wants to re-restructure his contract then let him. Hey its saving the Broncos a few bucks...™
                      Not really. He isn't taking a paycut, he's just shifting the money around. He's most likely converting base salary into bonus money which spreads the cap hit over the life of the contract.
                      ------

Comment

Not really. He isn't taking a paycut, he's just shifting the money around. He's most likely converting base salary into bonus money which spreads the cap hit over the life of the contract.
                        Apparently it did free up a little cap space though. thats always a good thing™
                        This space for rent

Comment

Jake's a team player, that's why.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                          2. Taxes
                          3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by Snk16
                            Jake's a team player, that's why.
                            This wasn't a sacrifice on Jake's part. If he takes a paycut, then that'll show he's a team player.
                            ------

Comment

This wasn't a sacrifice on Jake's part. If he takes a paycut, then that'll show he's a team player.
                              He restructured AGAIN! hence, he's a team player.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                              2. Taxes
                              3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Working...
                              X