Decision to Sit First String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision to Sit First String

I'm somewhat concerned about our decision to sit out our starters in yesterday's game against Green Bay. I understand (although I don't agree with it) the motivation to give key personnel a chance to rest and maximize their probablity of being 100% for the game next week, however, I remember a similar decision we made a few years ago. Denver had not only earned a playoff spot but a first week bye with a week to go. The same decision to sit starters was made then and, although you may want to argue lack of cause and effect, the result was a loss in our first playoff game. I think every game is important. If for no other reason then to establish a winning mindset. Go out and win this game. It's important. Turning on and off a winning attitude is not an easy thing to do and a dangerous thing to attempt.

I'd like to hear YOUR thoughts.
    Regards, Rick
    Thunderbutts

Re: Decision to Sit First String

Originally posted by Thunderbutt
    I'm somewhat concerned about our decision to sit out our starters in yesterday's game against Green Bay. I understand (although I don't agree with it) the motivation to give key personnel a chance to rest and maximize their probablity of being 100% for the game next week, ...

Look at the Chiefs, Patriots, Eagles and Rams..they will have a week off....so do you think their talent will change while they sit?

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Re: Decision to Sit First String

Originally posted by Thunderbutt
      I'm somewhat concerned about our decision to sit out our starters in yesterday's game against Green Bay. I understand (although I don't agree with it) the motivation to give key personnel a chance to rest and maximize their probablity of being 100% for the game next week, however, I remember a similar decision we made a few years ago. Denver had not only earned a playoff spot but a first week bye with a week to go. The same decision to sit starters was made then and, although you may want to argue lack of cause and effect, the result was a loss in our first playoff game. I think every game is important. If for no other reason then to establish a winning mindset. Go out and win this game. It's important. Turning on and off a winning attitude is not an easy thing to do and a dangerous thing to attempt.

i think it was a good idea to sit our starter, they will be fresh and what happened back then happened back then, you cant connect it with losing, just that game didnt go well, even if we lose to indy, it wont be because we rested our starters, it'll be because we played poor.
      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Re: Re: Decision to Sit First String

Originally posted by AsianOrange
        Look at the Chiefs, Patriots, Eagles and Rams..they will have a week off....so do you think their talent will change while they sit?
        Excellent, excellent point.
        Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

I think the problem is that this gave us a loss. A bye week does not. I think we should've come out to play and if we had a big lead, then bench the starters. I seriously believe in momentum and we definitely had it. Now that's gone. Rest is good. But, so is momentum.
          sigpic
          Kyle Orton Army Soldier #888

Comment

momentum is overrated, each game is separate, when you have veterans like we have, the last game is forgottenm whether it be a win or loss. this wont affect the colt game, we should still win.
            dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy
              I think the problem is that this gave us a loss. A bye week does not. I think we should've come out to play and if we had a big lead, then bench the starters. I seriously believe in momentum and we definitely had it. Now that's gone. Rest is good. But, so is momentum.
              Like Peter King said: "Ignore yesterday because the Broncos did."

he still ranked them at #3!

Comment

Considering how many injuries we've had this season, I think it was absolutly a good idea to sit these guys.

Plus, by deactivating some starters, the Broncos were able to activate and play some guys that have toiled all season long on third string or the practice squad. These guys got a little reward for working hard all year without being able to take the field during a real game. In fact, the practice squad guys all got about a $10,000 bonus for that game just for being active instead of just earning the practice squad paycheck.

Our backups did a decent job until the 4th-quarter implosion. Well, at least considering they were playing the Packers' starters who were playing for their playoff lives.
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Considering how many injuries we've had this season, I think it was absolutly a good idea to sit these guys.

Plus, by deactivating some starters, the Broncos were able to activate and play some guys that have toiled all season long on third string or the practice squad. These guys got a little reward for working hard all year without being able to take the field during a real game. In fact, the practice squad guys all got about a $10,000 bonus for that game just for being active instead of just earning the practice squad paycheck.

Our backups did a decent job until the 4th-quarter implosion. Well, at least considering they were playing the Packers' starters who were playing for their playoff lives.
                  Exactly! Resting the injured players...do you think we should send out our best players while they are nursing injuries!?!

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                    Like Peter King said: "Ignore yesterday because the Broncos did."

he still ranked them at #3!
                    I like that!
                    sigpic
                    Kyle Orton Army Soldier #888

Comment

Resting the Starters

I agree that resting the starters was a good idea. However, what bothers me is that Jarious and company (the second string players) were not given advance notice that they were starting. If you are going to send a second-string football team onto the field to carry the full weight of the game, then you need to have rehearsed that second-string team completely. Everything I heard indicated that they were NOT given the opportunity to prepare as a unit.

I may not play football, but I am a musician and no stranger to the concept of performance. When you head into a big concert, you make very sure you are fully rehearsed. Seems to me, our second string guys headed into this one not even knowing which Concerto they were going to be required to play. That doesn't seem right to me.

Further, I worry that some of the guys may have come out of this game a little demoralized. What happens if next week when we are up against it with the Colts, somebody gets hurt and one of our second stringers has to go out there and jump in? Have we potentially compromised some winning spirit by the "surprise party" with the Packers????

Let us hope not!

Marty

Comment

Re: Resting the Starters

Originally posted by martymagic
                        I agree that resting the starters was a good idea. However, what bothers me is that Jarious and company (the second string players) were not given advance notice that they were starting. If you are going to send a second-string football team onto the field to carry the full weight of the game, then you need to have rehearsed that second-string team completely. Everything I heard indicated that they were NOT given the opportunity to prepare as a unit.

I may not play football, but I am a musician and no stranger to the concept of performance. When you head into a big concert, you make very sure you are fully rehearsed. Seems to me, our second string guys headed into this one not even knowing which Concerto they were going to be required to play. That doesn't seem right to me.

Further, I worry that some of the guys may have come out of this game a little demoralized. What happens if next week when we are up against it with the Colts, somebody gets hurt and one of our second stringers has to go out there and jump in? Have we potentially compromised some winning spirit by the "surprise party" with the Packers????

Let us hope not!

Marty
                        i liked what you said about the rehersals and stuff. the broncs scored only 3 points with theri backups, but i did like what i seen on the field, those guys were our future and they showed they had skill, but the were probably just all on the wrong page and when they get organized, im sure they can produce.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

It's great to save the team for the playoffs. I agree. However I also believe in keeping winning momentum going. I also remember what happened the last time we did this. Just ask John Elway how he felt when we lost to Jacksonville in the playoffs. The decision to hold out the starters may have been sound, that is yet to be seen. The only thing I didn't like was we didn't know. Obviously the players knew because of the roster moves. I spent alot of time and money going to this game. When I saw it on the schedule I thought here will be a great one. I left Lambeau humiliated. 31-3! I would not have gone and taken the ridicule that goes along with it had I known I wasn't getting to see a first class effort. Losing is one thing when you give it your best. When you concede a game you have lost more than the game. You have lost credibility. I always thought the Broncos cared for their fans. There would have been alot of Packer fans who would have liked my ticket.

Comment

Re: Resting the Starters

Originally posted by martymagic
                            My understanding is that this was by design. It wasn't that Shanahan didn't want the 2nd string to practice... it was that he didn't want the 1st string to know; thereby making them practice and think they were going to play.

<Shrug> I could be wrong on this, but Shanahan isn't exactly the kind of guy who does things for no reason.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                            ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

There is such a thing as a good loss. First if anybody noticed until Shanahan took out the defensive starters the game was still 10-3 (2 minutes left in the 3rd) and Green was still under 75 yards. We would've beat them easily with our whole offense in there. Those 3 TDs would've never happened if the whole team was out there the whole game. The playoffs are more important than a meaningless regular season game and I wouldn't take a chance getting any of the guys hurt just so we can get a meaningless win. Think of the Cleveland game where Portis got hurt when he ran the ball too many times when Elam could have kicked it earlier in OT.

Then you must look at who you rather see in the Super Bowl. Greenbay or Minnesota? I like our chances with Greenbay a lot more than with Minnesota.

I think Shanahan did a smart thing by having regular practices the whole week that way the guys stay sharp (no pun intended). So the starters still got a workout and I think this will keep them from getting cold. I think we would've had a better chance at beating Greenbay had Shanahan had Kanell and Jackson take most of the snaps during the week of practice but then we would've took a chance at messing up the chemistry between the 1st string players.

Sure it would've been nice to see a 11-5 record instead of 10-6 but the playoffs are more important.

Comment

Working...
                              X