No announcement yet.

Decision to Sit First String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All sports fans are obnoxious DenverFaninGB. I've been surfing (and moderating) these forums for all of 8 years now ... bar none, opposing teams' fans are ALWAYS obnoxious. Just ask the friend of mine who is a Viking fan and lives in Denver. Or...my wife's two uncles who live in suburban Denver ... they're not even football fans, but when the locals find out they're from Wisconsin ... well ... suffice it to say that the feces hit the oscillator.

Just bear one thing in mind ... to the Packers and the Bears, ALL the other teams are expansion teams.

Now, the point at hand ... was Shanahan's resting of 6 offensive starters and one defensive starter in the best interests of the game? No. To a football purist, victory is all that matters. Parcells didn't park any of his guys....he respects the game too much. Worst part is ... now Denver fans can sit back and say "Yeah, well our Junior Varsity was only slightly mauled as the Packers struggled for their playoff lives". Ya shur.... Sherman pulled starters when victory was assured as well.

All that Mike succeeded in doing was showing a total disdain for "the game"....and when all is said and done ... it's the game that matters.

Good luck through the playoffs folks. The Broncs are a class organization and I'd like to see them do well...not too well, mind you, but well, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
      Ask the Patriots if momentum is overated.
      Good point. They are on a 12-0 run. During their Super Bowl run they won 9 straight and 11 out of their last 12. This year it will be 15 straight if they win it all.

Does it matter? I think it all depends on the mentality and nature of the team. To the Pats in 2001 it mattered. To this year's team I think it matters less. It does seem that winning begets more winning. Winning or losing can become a habit.

Are the Broncos the sort of team that can turn it on and off at will? That usually takes a high confidence and talent level.

Comment

Momentum is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't always carry you through.

Vikes 6-0 momentum then collapsed
        Cheifs 9-0 momentum then went 3-3.
        Philly was on a roll almost as big as NE until SF clipped them in week 16.

I hope Denver can turn it on and keep it on for the playoffs. We are a system team that relies on Key individuals. Jake went out, we dropped 3 of 4. The year Ed got injured our WR continuity went out the window and we struggled immensesly trying to find people to fill the spot. Mike knows in order for us to function on all cylinders and have a chance in Indy we need our players healthy and rested so we can give them our best shot whatever the outcome.

At least this way fans can't take away anything from Indy if we lose. We are putting in our top players so we have no excuses.
        The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
          Philly was on a roll almost as big as NE until SF clipped them in week 16.

We are a system team that relies on Key individuals. Mike knows in order for us to function on all cylinders and have a chance in Indy we need our players healthy and rested so we can give them our best shot whatever the outcome.
          The Eagles didn't collapse, they bounced right back after a loss in OT. Momentum for them might not be that big a deal. That is a veteran franchise that is used to making the playoffs. The Pats in 2001 needed to keep winning, the streak was inseparable from the team in many ways. This year's team would absorb a loss and come back stronger.

I know what you mean about Denver's offense being personnel dependent. The Pats used to be that way back in the late 90's. If a receiver went down, no one seemed to be able to step up and fill his shoes. The offense would seem reborn when he returned. That's what is so different about the Pats now. Belichick can plug people in at will and they don't really seem to miss anything. Players are picked for verstility rather than being exceptional at any one role. Denver's RUNNING game seems anything but personnel dependent. You guys seem like you could take a homeless guy from off the street and he would run for a 100 yards.

Comment

Working...
          X