Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last year's D-line vs. this year's D-line...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year's D-line vs. this year's D-line...

Last year, we had Reggie Hayward, Luther Elliss, Elliss Johnson, Trevor Pryce (although he was injured) Mario Fatefehi, Marco Coleman, and other role players..

This year we have some players that we have acquired from the much maligned Cleveland Browns organization that were acquired through Free Agency and Trade.

This year, we have Courtney Brown, Gerrard Warren, Ebenezer Ekuban, Michael Myers, along with Trevor Pryce (Healthy) Luther Elliss and a slew of other role-players.

Someone, please tell me how we are worse off this year...I know that your out there...please explain yourself...
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Hey man, I'm with you. I think this years DLine is going to be much improved.
    Bite my shiny metal a**!

Comment

Honestly, if you analyze the entire team this year... it is either BOOM or BUST. The whole team.

Browns new d-linemen: If healthy, they are simply dominant. There was no denying that Courtney Brown was a bad lineman, he was amazing. The only reason he hasnt made the Pro Bowl yet is because he has a bad case of the injury bug. Combine him with the return of Trevor Pryce, then that is scary. Broncos brass can cut most of them if they dont fare well.

Maurice Clarett: What else do i have to say? If he returns to his Ohio form, steal of the draft. If not, laughing stock of the league.

CB's drafted: If one turns out well, then it was a good draft, if they all are busts then taking 3 CBs will be a joke.

Plummer: Picking up on the option was highly scrutinized. Will it pay off? We'll see.

Shanahan sure likes to gamble. Maybe he has an addiction?

Comment

The entire D Line is a doubt. I Think that drafting a D Lineman would help a lot. But.... I Think that with hard work and luck with injuries our D Line will be good.

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John
          Someone, please tell me how we are worse off this year...I know that your out there...please explain yourself...
          Well, the Broncos D has been one of the premiere Ds in the league for a couple of seasons now. It is going to be much easier for the Bronco D to slip a couple of slots than it will be to go higher.

Getting better or worse is all speculation and hope, the only known facts are what happened last season. I don't see how one could legitimately say that the D has gotten better if you take into account the Brown's performance last year.

Another known fact is that this is a big gamble that has no precedence. I think the analaysts are just as confused as the fans are.
          Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

Originally posted by wesuckrealbad
            I don't see how one could legitimately say that the D has gotten better if you take into account the Brown's performance last year.
            That line didn't have much help in cleveland, would you want Chaun Thompson as your OLB?

Well maybe you would, I mean, you are starting Scott Fujita.

Bottom line is, the Browns D line had absolutely no support, in Denver they'll suddenly find themselves in front of arguably the best linebacking corps, and a hell of a secondary.

Comment

Well, the Broncos D has been one of the premiere Ds in the league for a couple of seasons now. It is going to be much easier for the Bronco D to slip a couple of slots than it will be to go higher.

Getting better or worse is all speculation and hope, the only known facts are what happened last season. I don't see how one could legitimately say that the D has gotten better if you take into account the Brown's performance last year.

Another known fact is that this is a big gamble that has no precedence. I think the analaysts are just as confused as the fans are.
              Well, if this is supposed to be an answer for BBJ's call for an explanation, this wasn't much of one. Why will it be "much easier for the Bronco D to slip a couple of slots"? Because it's the Broncos? Then you take one player and make that a case in point?

First of all, Brown's performance cannot be taken into account because when he did play he played hurt. So did Ekuban, for that matter. Second, if my memory serves me (correct me if I'm wrong), ten other players comprise the defense. Of those ten, Walls, Gold, and Pryce come back, and Brown, Ekuban, and Myers are added (Warren, too, but he is a definite question mark). I hear from the Charger, Raider, and Chiefs fans how their respective teams have improved with additions, but the Broncos haven't made any additions and have actually deteriorated to doormats. Yet Denver is the only team in the West to make quality, experienced additions, at least in numbers.

So there you go: six players added to the Denver defense. And they are going to slip?

Comment

The slip remark wasn't so much a knock on the players as much as it is "hard being at the top". I would say the same for any team in the top 5 in O or D. It is going to be easier to go from third to fifth, then it is going from fourth to second. That's all I was saying.

If the Bronco's LBers and cover guys are good enough to elevate the Brown's player's game, then why wasn't the Bronco backfield doing the same thing for the Dline players that may be replaced?

And I'm really not trying to knock the players at all, I'm simply looking at facts and not trying to speculate. What do we know about the Browns players? Injuries and under production. That's simple. Could it work out for the best? Sure. Could it go south and blow up? Sure. So what's the point?

Comment

The slip remark wasn't so much a knock on the players as much as it is "hard being at the top". I would say the same for any team in the top 5 in O or D. It is going to be easier to go from third to fifth, then it is going from fourth to second. That's all I was saying.

If the Bronco's LBers and cover guys are good enough to elevate the Brown's player's game, then why wasn't the Bronco backfield doing the same thing for the Dline players that may be replaced?

And I'm really not trying to knock the players at all, I'm simply looking at facts and not trying to speculate. What do we know about the Browns players? Injuries and under production. That's simple. Could it work out for the best? Sure. Could it go south and blow up? Sure. So what's the point?
                  Isn't that the case from year to year for any team, Wes? There is no guarantee for the best unit in football, even if everyone returns. There could be injuries, illness, personal problems--any number of things for anyone.

Nonetheless, the the backfield had some people injured last year, including a starter at CB. Nontheless, I believe they did elevate the Dline and the whole game last year. Talk a look: the #5 defense with an average pass rush? I'd say they did a pretty good job of elevating, didn't they? Now if they can improve their pass rush with a healthy backfield and a LB corps that is even better with the addition of Gold and another year's experience for D.J. Williams, that will make for one mean defense. Now, doesn't that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                    You said none of the other teams in the league made quality, experienced additions to their squads. Yep, I guess that is why we signed CB Patrick Surtain (3 Pro Bowls), SS Sammy Knight (2 Pro Bowls), and LB Kendrell Bell (1 pro bowl and Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2001). And we signed a less known player, DE Carlos Hall. Carlos Hall is not a top notch DE but he did fine filling for Jevon Kearse when he was injured in Tennessee.

And, for those of you who think Kenrell Bell cannot stay healthy or won't be healthy, he says and the teams doctors say that he is good enough to play right now if he had to. He didn't injure himself on the field, but in the weightroom doing too much weight.

Nope, I guess siging players with a combined 6 Pro Bowls are just not quality players or experienced players. Sense the sarcasm? You guys are the ones that have unproven players, such as a crappy Cleveland D-Line, Ron Dayne. Not saying your D-Line will be good or it will not be good, but do to the fact that many of those players have injury problems, and they have not played with good linebackers, they are unproven.

And oh yeah, watch out for both Priest Holmes and Kendrell Bell. They were both training together down in Arizona. Priest Holmes has added 5-10 pounds, and that is all muscle.
                    Perhaps I could have said that better. What I meant was that Denver has made the greatest number of those changes. I did not mean to imply that we were the only team to do it. But keep in mind that you made those changes to the #30 defense in the league, whereas Denver made them to the #5 defense and #1 in the West. You may come up a few notches in the league, but the best just got better.

Far be it from a Chiefs fan to criticize the mighty Denver Bronco defense.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      Perhaps I could have said that better. What I meant was that Denver has made the greatest number of those changes.
                      must have liked the Redskin's philosophy huh?

Comment

i like the signings the chiefs went out and did but remember it'll take most all of the year to get these guys to gel together ... ill give them a so so year but next year could be scarey if they all play up to expectations..im with Denver being a top D again this year we had a medicore line last year and still placed in the top five and ithink it oculd be a a gift that we signed the whole line of clevland they have time playing together.. with the addition of trevor back from injury id harldy call the dnever d horrible by any stretch of the imagination..

where i am a little scared is so many questions on O the line is getting older .. and well we lost neil ....our wide outs while rod smith is a great player he is getting older asheligh can stretch the d but can he make some catches over the middle. darius watts had a great camp but it didnt carry over to game day... tatum bell showed us flashes of maybe being the next in a great line but he was often inured

plumber needs to cut back on his INT's and if he does he could make the pro bowl

putz we know he can catch but is inaffective in the red zone and his blocking needs work...
                        Last edited by Broncosinindy; 05-09-2005, 12:22 PM.
                        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                        While he sits by his hearth at home.
                        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

I think this years line has to be better. Our team lacked a pass rush last year and now we have a chance to have a decent rush this year then allowing our secondary to increase turnovers. We'll be much improved.
                          BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
                          IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

We will have a very good D-Line, if they can all stay healthy. Unfortunately, that is a very big if!

Comment

The D-line has more potential then last season. However, we pretty much failed to improve the interior of our line very much at all. Gerrard Warren should be a minor improvement over Ellis Johnson, but the rest of the DT rotation is the same, along with Mike Myers who is a mirror image of Monsanto Pope.

My issue is that we addressed the D-line to work for one season. We did not draft any depth, and after this season, Gerrard Warren, Anton Palepoi, Dorsett Davis, Monsanto Pope, Luther Elliss, Marco Coleman, and Courtney Brown will all be free agents. Brown will be because his option bonus would count 8 million against our cap next season and that will not occur most likely.

This years line is better then last year's line. However, this year's line is a one year rental, and next season, we will be plugging holes with veterans all over again. Perhaps we can use both our 1st rounders on DTs, but that's wishful thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X