George Foster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Foster

Anyone have any idea how he is progressing?

I know he played alot last year, but I have a hard time judging the play of an OLinemen individually while watching the game.

Anyone know how he is coming along, and if he is filling the value of his first round? Will he be a franchise OL in the future like we had hoped when we drafted him?

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic

I know he played alot last year, but I have a hard time judging the play of an OLinemen individually while watching the game.

Anyone know how he is coming along, and if he is filling the value of his first round? Will he be a franchise OL in the future like we had hoped when we drafted him?
    Little early, isn't it? Camp hasn't started yet.

Comment

I meant like what kind of year did he have last year?

I should have stated it like that.

Did he have a good year last year? Alot of playing time? I don't even know how his year went.

Comment

mark my words he will be a beast

thanx to TMHG

Atwater makes the hit
        Woodson makes the pick
        Lott takes it back

All for respect this is how the game should be played

Comment

He is getting better and next season he will take Lepsis's spot on the left. He will be a franchise tackle for Denver.

Comment

Who all thinks he was worth the first rounder now? If so why? If not why?
            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

There's nothing wrong with George Foster. He started, played well and the coaches are pleased with him. He has worked hard and is now a good RT.

Of course, there's a BIG difference between playing RT where the OL faces mostly power-rushers, and LT where the OL must protect the QB's blind-side against the NFL's best rushers. Usually Right DE's are speed rushers like Dwight Freeney, who use quick first moves to get around the OT. If the OT doesn't have good speed and footwork, he's toast and his QB quickly becomes road-kill.

IF Foster could be left at RT for the next 5-10 years, he'd be fine. But, next season after Matt Lepsis gets a huge bonus and disappears in FA, Foster will have to switch over to the left. At this point we can't tell how he'd do there.

The only other option would be to sign a FA LT, but that would cost more than $10 million just for the signing bonus alone, plus Denver's system takes some getting used to. It would be best to promote from within. Thus, the Broncos will need a replacement for Foster at RT if he's moved over to the left. The team currently has NOBODY capable of starting RT in Foster's place and didn't acquire any tackles in the draft, which was NOT good long-term planning.

To give you the idea, the current backup tackles are Cornell Green and Clement Anthony. Never heard of them? You're not alone.
              Last edited by Cugel; 05-09-2005, 07:39 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Chris Myers play all OL position in college and doing that at da U is pretty empresive

thanx to TMHG

Atwater makes the hit
                Woodson makes the pick
                Lott takes it back

All for respect this is how the game should be played

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                  There's nothing wrong with George Foster. He started, played well and the coaches are pleased with him. He has worked hard and is now a good RT.

Of course, there's a BIG difference between playing RT where the OL faces mostly power-rushers, and LT where the OL must protect the QB's blind-side against the NFL's best rushers. Usually Right DE's are speed rushers, who use quick first moves to get around the OT.

IF Foster could be left at RT for the next 5-10 years, he'd be fine. But, next season after Matt Lepsis gets a huge bonus and disappears in FA, Foster will have to switch over to the left. At this point we can't tell how he'd do there.

The only other option would be to sign a FA LT, but that would cost more than $10 million just for the signing bonus alone, plus Denver's system takes some getting used to. It would be best to promote from within. Thus, the Broncos will need a replacement for Foster at RT. The team currently has NOBODY capable of starting and didn't acquire any tackles in the draft, which was NOT good long-term planning.
                  Anthony Clement, was a starting right tackle for Arizona for a while, we picked Pears and Foster was a left tackle in College also P.J. Alexander who is at guard played tackle in College, Lepsis was a tight end in College, Denver will be fine, they turned a tight end into a premier left side tackle!

Comment

He looked really good for a first time starter. Of course, he did have a full year to adjust the the NFL without much pressure. Most first round picks don't get that luxury.

I really liked what I saw in his play, for the most part. In pass protection he was actually better against speed rushers than I expected. But he was more vulnerable to power guys than I would have thought considering he's the biggest of our starting linemen. I think the power rushers would sometimes get him off balance and then he wouldn't recover real well. I should point out out that it wasn't a major problem, just something I noticed from time to time. There were times where he looked dominant but he would suffer from inconsistency now and then.

In the run game I thought he also did very well. Again, he didn't always play with as much power as I thought he should considering his size. On the otherhand, he was quicker than I expected so it's kind of a tradeoff.

All in all, I think he's already a pretty good to very good offensive lineman. Not perfect but, then again, who is? If he can progress in his second year as a starter and make a little better use of his size without losing the quickness, I think he could be a Pro Bowler down the road.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Foster took some knocks after the Cinci game last season, but seemed to rebound after that and did a pretty solid job from what I saw during the games.
                      Unless he has some horrible training camp, he should be set to go this season, barring injury (jinx)
                      The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
                        Anthony Clement, was a starting right tackle for Arizona for a while, we picked Pears and Foster was a left tackle in College also P.J. Alexander who is at guard played tackle in College, Lepsis was a tight end in College, Denver will be fine, they turned a tight end into a premier left side tackle!
                        Anthony Clement lost his starting job for the Arizona Cardinals last season.

The mighty Cardinals didn't want him any more and they won all of 6 games last year!

He must be great!

As for Foster, there's no indication he CAN'T start at left tackle next season. But nobody knows he can and there is a serious lack of quality backups at this point.
                        sigpic

Comment

He was excellent in runblocking last year. He was beast in the rungame.

In the pass he did OK. He looked hesitant is pass protection that was slide or zone.
                          His size and strength kept him from getting beat. He was on IR his rookie year and this was his real rookie year.

He should be better this year,

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                            He looked really good for a first time starter. Of course, he did have a full year to adjust the the NFL without much pressure. Most first round picks don't get that luxury.

I really liked what I saw in his play, for the most part. In pass protection he was actually better against speed rushers than I expected. But he was more vulnerable to power guys than I would have thought considering he's the biggest of our starting linemen. I think the power rushers would sometimes get him off balance and then he wouldn't recover real well. I should point out out that it wasn't a major problem, just something I noticed from time to time. There were times where he looked dominant but he would suffer from inconsistency now and then.

In the run game I thought he also did very well. Again, he didn't always play with as much power as I thought he should considering his size. On the otherhand, he was quicker than I expected so it's kind of a tradeoff.

All in all, I think he's already a pretty good to very good offensive lineman. Not perfect but, then again, who is? If he can progress in his second year as a starter and make a little better use of his size without losing the quickness, I think he could be a Pro Bowler down the road.
                            This is a pretty good assessment. I didn't notice his problems against bull-rushers, but it wouldn't surprise me. That takes proper technique and he's only in his 1st season. I'd say that George Foster has been a success so far but he has a long way to go before he's a premier LT like Zimmerman was, so that Plummer's blind side is protected. A top LT is a key component of any SB team.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                              Anthony Clement lost his starting job for the Arizona Cardinals last season.

The mighty Cardinals didn't want him any more and they won all of 6 games last year!

He must be great!

As for Foster, there's no indication he CAN'T start at left tackle next season. But nobody knows he can and there is a serious lack of quality backups at this point.
                              Oh I agree but come on Denver somehow would use Clement and make him good in our system, we are good at recycling!

Comment

Working...
                              X