George Foster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cugel
    This is a pretty good assessment. I didn't notice his problems against bull-rushers, but it wouldn't surprise me. That takes proper technique and he's only in his 1st season. I'd say that George Foster has been a success so far but he has a long way to go before he's a premier LT like Zimmerman was, so that Plummer's blind side is protected. A top LT is a key component of any SB team.
    Yep, I'm speaking entirely of his play at Right Tackle. Who knows if he'll transition back to the left side without difficulty? Although I believe that was his native position in college.

As to his problem with the power rushers, I didn't mean to sound as though it was a chronic problem. It was just sporadic and really not that bad for a guy in his first year starting. I do think his technique can improve if Dennison can do his job as a coach. I'd feel better if we still had Alex Gibbs whipping our linemen into shape but that's pretty much spilled milk.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
      Anthony Clement, was a starting right tackle for Arizona for a while, we picked Pears and Foster was a left tackle in College also P.J. Alexander who is at guard played tackle in College, Lepsis was a tight end in College, Denver will be fine, they turned a tight end into a premier left side tackle!
      I personally think Lepis is to light in the loafers to be a great LT in any other system, besides our "baby" line. That is not to say some moron out there will not give him the moon as a signing bonus.

Someone mentioned that foster is a beast in run blocking. Most of the good runs were up the gut later in the year and behind Lepsis on the left all year. Very few big runs went off RT any part of the year a lot of the run stuffs on Q were off RT.

Think he has a ways to go there.
      Last edited by Jrhampton; 05-10-2005, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
        Yep, I'm speaking entirely of his play at Right Tackle. Who knows if he'll transition back to the left side without difficulty? Although I believe that was his native position in college.

As to his problem with the power rushers, I didn't mean to sound as though it was a chronic problem. It was just sporadic and really not that bad for a guy in his first year starting. I do think his technique can improve if Dennison can do his job as a coach. I'd feel better if we still had Alex Gibbs whipping our linemen into shape but that's pretty much spilled milk.

He really didn't have much of problem bull rushers. It seemed early in the season he was coming out of stance to high and letting them get into his pad. It seemed to have passed later in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoInATL
          He really didn't have much of problem bull rushers. It seemed early in the season he was coming out of stance to high and letting them get into his pad. It seemed to have passed later in the season.

i wasnt really watching him on the oakland games

but you really didn't hear much about warren sapp

thanx to TMHG

Atwater makes the hit
          Woodson makes the pick
          Lott takes it back

All for respect this is how the game should be played

Comment

i think foster played as well as could be expected for his first season as starter
            he'll get better with playing time, more reps, more coaching, he's got great physical tools, maybe need a spot more coaching on his technique

however, i dont know if he has the skills to move to LT in the future, if we have a real high 1st rounder, i would say we may be able to pick up a real franchise LT, that way we'd be set in both tackle slots for the near future, imagine having 2 bookends to build the line around
            Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
            http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by dbdom
              i think foster played as well as could be expected for his first season as starter
              he'll get better with playing time, more reps, more coaching, he's got great physical tools, maybe need a spot more coaching on his technique

however, i dont know if he has the skills to move to LT in the future, if we have a real high 1st rounder, i would say we may be able to pick up a real franchise LT, that way we'd be set in both tackle slots for the near future, imagine having 2 bookends to build the line around
              That sounds great. Until you consider that NO rookie can start at LT in the NFL! It's very tough even for a 2nd year player to start at the premier line position.

All you have to do is ask yourself, "would I really want see a rookie LT trying to stop Dwight Freeney from tearing Plummer's head off?" The answer to that question is NO!

Shanahan won't even CONSIDER that! Nor would any other coach who expected his team to compete for a playoff berth (or cared about the health of his QB)!

No matter how good he is, a 2006 draft choice would be ready to start at LT in 2008 or 2009. Maybe.

Meanwhile what do you do in 2006, when Lepsis gets a $30 million contract with a $12 million signing bonus or something equally ridiculous as a FA and departs, leaving a gaping hole at LT? (Take a look at what starting LT's get in FA if you don't believe it).

Either the Broncos pay outrageous money to keep Lepsis, or they let him go. If they let him go, they need a starting LT. How do you get one? Since a rookie can't start, the draft is no answer for 2006. A top FA LT would cost at least as much as keeping Lepsis (more if he were better) and would need some time to work into the Broncos system. Promoting from within would only work if you have someone ready to step up to the most important OL position.

Thus, the only obvious solution is to move Foster to LT and hope he can hold down that position. A LOT depends on Foster's development this season and next.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X