nate jackson vs j rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nate jackson vs j rice

Nate jackson seems worried about rice coming in. http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...09&videoID=772 <---click and hear nate talk about him being old.

You can tell in broncos tv that nate jackson is thinking about his job. Does rices arrival in denver mean that he's going to come in and take the 4 th wr postion? Who would be better?

We also got Luke in the compitition for # 4.

Comment

I realize luke is in comp for 4th spot but who do you think is better between nate and rice?

Comment

Originally posted by BOBBLEHEAD
        I realize luke is in comp for 4th spot but who do you think is better between nate and rice?
        Well Now I think nate is better then rice...... but rice is more important.

Nate is better then Luke IMO also...

Comment

I duno I want to wait to see them both in training camp.

Comment

All I can say is, Jackson and Luke had better bring their "A" game to camp this year. Jerry Rice surely will. Jackson and Luke have the youth and physical condiditoning (just meaning their bodies have less mileage) on their side, but no one is more competitive than the GOAT. If they slack off just a little bit, he'll take their job.

I think Nate Jackson does look scared and he should be. Jackson's bread and butter are tough catches in traffic and short catches for first downs (possesion) so, Jerry is his number one competition because that's what Rice still does best. I don't think Luke has as much to worry about purely based on his blazing speed. He's a speed guy, pure and simple, and Rice just can't compete with that.

Jackson also isn't a rookie or a first year vet like so many other WRs. He's had 4 yrs in the league to prove something and has yet to do so (he was on SF roster for 2 yrs and was cut). This year, he won't be competing with rookies for a job so his job security is that much less.

Comment

I'am leaning toward your view point. I do think luke can be a lil marvin harrison if he works on his route running. Nate watch your job. A 40+ year old is gonna take it.

Comment

Nate jackson seems worried about rice coming in. http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...09&videoID=772 <---click and hear nate talk about him being old.

You can tell in broncos tv that nate jackson is thinking about his job. Does rices arrival in denver mean that he's going to come in and take the 4 th wr postion? Who would be better?
                Nate Jackson = Pratice Squad 2005
                2007 Season- Allllll Readddddy!!!!! #27

Comment

All this discussion has involved Rice, Luke, and Jackson. Coming up on the outside are B.J. Johnson and Romar Crenshaw, completely unnoticed. Nobody is going to have it easy in camp this year--Rice, Luke--nobody.

Nate is scared? They had better all be a little bit apprehensive, including Rice. Despite comments in other threads describing this group as "scrubs," there is a lot of talent here.

IMHO.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                    All this discussion has involved Rice, Luke, and Jackson. Coming up on the outside are B.J. Johnson and Romar Crenshaw, completely unnoticed. Nobody is going to have it easy in camp this year--Rice, Luke--nobody.

Nate is scared? They had better all be a little bit apprehensive, including Rice. Despite comments in other threads describing this group as "scrubs," there is a lot of talent here.

IMHO.
                    -----
                    You're right about that. Look at all the WRs who are in the same class with Jackson, i.e. basically reserves and developmental players:

Rice, Jerry WR 6' 2" 200 10/13/62 21st Mississippi Valley State Crawford, Miss. FA-'05
                    14 Jackson, Nate WR 6' 3" 223 06/04/79 2nd Menlo San Jose, Calif. T (S.F.)-'03
                    81 Adams, Charlie WR 6' 2" 190 10/23/79 2nd Hofstra Mechanicsburg, Pa. FA-'04
                    19 Mattos, Grant WR 6' 2" 220 03/12/81 2nd Southern California Mountain View, Calif. FA-04
                    12 Johnson, B.J. WR 5' 11" 207 08/04/82 R Texas Grand Prairie, Texas CFA-'04
                    15 Crenshaw, Romar WR 6' 0" 185 09/22/80 R S.E. Oklahoma State Broken Bow, Okla. CFA-04
                    87 Luke, Triandos WR 5' 10" 189 12/24/81 R Alabama Phenix City, Ala. D6-04
                    10 Devoe, Todd WR 6' 2" 198 04/05/80 1st Central Missouri State Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. FA-'05

Three starters Smith, Lelie and (probably) Watts make the team automatically. That leaves only 2 or 3 other roster spots for WR and all those guys to fight it out.

Last year the team kept six. This year Shanahan is talking about 5 WRs. The #6, if there is one, will be a developmental player probably a rookie like Romar Crenshaw or B.J. Johnson.

Rice must beat two out of three of WRs Triandos Luke, Nate Jackson and Charlie Adams to win a spot and all of them to win the #4 and have any impact at all.

Can he do it? We'll see. But not one of those guys is really that great.

To compare Triandos Luke with Marvin Harrison is just absurd. Luke has done nothing and Harrision is the best WR in football and was selected with the #19th selection of the 1st round. Most top WRs in football were high #1 picks (yes I know there are some exceptions) but talent in college does sometimes translate to talent in the NFL.

Triandos Luke doesn't have NEARLY the talent that Marvin Harrison showed coming into the NFL, so there's no indication he'll ever be remotely as good as Harrison, or even a #1 receiver. Makes about as much sense as Shanahan comparing Brian Griese to Joe Montana.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                      Most top WRs in football were high #1 picks (yes I know there are some exceptions)
                      Yes, there are exceptions. Rod Smith comes to mind.

Not a rebuttal; just an observation.

However, Romar Crenshaw is looked upon by some who may be that kind of sleeper.

-----
                      Last edited by topscribe; 05-26-2005, 10:57 AM.

Comment

practice squad

They squad rules are very strict. There is a specific limit on games played, years in the league, and time spent on the squad. If any are exceeded by a player he is not elligable. I don't remember the exact limits but I know Nate has exceeded them and cannot be on the squad. Its make or break. Probably 2-3 young wr will go to the Practice Squad leaving 6-7 guys realistically fighting for 5 spots.

JMO

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceOfClub
                          PRACTICE SQUADS

Section 4. Eligibility:

(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than one previous season on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). No player may be a practice squad player for more than two seasons.

(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and has been a member of a club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or post-season games (a bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or post-season weekend in question).
                          Somebody's going to be out of luck . . . .

-----

Comment

I hope Rice makes the team, and if he plays likes he is capable of, he will. His leadership is invaluable. I hated the niners growing up(still do), mostly because of Joe Montana. But, Jerry Rice is all class and his direction and work ethic will be good for some of the younger guys on the team who have had troubled pasts. I have really grown to respect Jerry over the past few years. He is just an amazing athlete. Not a lot of guys can still compete with guys 20 years younger than them.

Jake "the Fake" Plummer - Shannon Sharpe

Comment

While i think its cool to have Rice as a Bronco,i really think its un-cool to have him come in for a year and because of that,one of our WR's gets cut..But i guess if a 42yr old can beat one of them out,it's fair??

GOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X