Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article about the Broncos and Shanahan's interview.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about the Broncos and Shanahan's interview.

The article was written by Pete Prisco, of sportsline. Here's the link.

There is also an interview with Shanahan in nfl.com

Please post info as some of us don't have access to sportsline

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnotic
      Please post info as some of us don't have access to sportsline
      Sorry! Here's the article:

What in the heck is going on in Denver? The Broncos have spent the offseason loading up on players with questionable character and questionable injury histories and creaky veterans such as Jerry Rice, who would be better off hitting golf balls than trying to hang on to a career that's starting to smell like Johnny Unitas wearing a Chargers uniform.

Is Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, who we call the Teflon Coach since all the criticism simply rolls off his back, in panic mode in an attempt to win a playoff game for the first time since John Elway retired?

Or are all the moves he has made ones that can pan out and potentially get this team back to a Super Bowl?

"You have to wonder about that team," said one NFC personnel director. "Some of those guys he brought in are big bums. They flopped at other spots badly. What's to think they'll make it there?"

Rice became the latest to join the Broncos when he signed a one-year contract Wednesday for a chance to be the team's fourth receiver. To me, Rice is the best football player ever to wear pads. He is so far ahead of everyone else at his position, he has to earn that moniker.

He was a joy to watch. Now he's not. Rice was never a burner, but now he'd have trouble separating from a high school corner. Why he continues to play is mystifying. Let's hope his magical career isn't tarnished by this move.

We never liked seeing Joe Namath in a Rams uniform or O.J. Simpson wearing the San Francisco 49ers colors. How about Tony Dorsett in a Broncos jersey?

In some cities, the coach can't be blamed for personnel moves. In Denver, he certainly can. Shanahan runs the show, and the roster is his to fill.

He takes the heat for all the moves.

Back when Elway was throwing lasers and Terrell Davis was ripping off a 2,000-yard season, Shanahan was billed as a mastermind, a label he never backed away from. Now many in Denver, including some of his players, know the pressure is on more than ever. The tarnish is ruining his shine.

"Guys talk," said one player. "They know that Mike has to start winning. They know we haven't won a playoff game in a long time."

Teams that make the playoffs -- which Denver has the past two years -- and get defeated in the first round sometimes have a tendency to panic. The carrot is hanging so close, so they sell their soul to get it.

Is this what Shanahan is doing?

In giving him the benefit of the doubt, there isn't a lot of big money being spent to take a chance on the questionable players he's acquired. That lessens the hurt if they do flop.

The real issue, though, is can the players help? Can three defensive linemen Shanahan acquired from a Cleveland team that finished 28th against the run really help improve the Denver defense?

Can doughboy runner Ron Dayne resurrect his career, or is he destined to be known as the biggest tap-dancer in running back history for a man his size? What about the Michelin Man with the attitude, Maurice Clarett? Or troubled punter Todd Sauerbrun, whose flabby body makes one wonder what the heck he did with those supplements he reportedly got from a doctor in Carolina?

Good luck, Mike. You'll need it with your Three Wide Men.

Here's a closer look at the players the Broncos brought in this offseason.

Signing Rice: At 42, what does he have left? Rice works out as hard as anyone in the offseason and has insisted he can play until he's 45. But he did little last year with Seattle, catching 30 passes for 429 yards -- the lowest production of his career for a non-injury season. The Broncos would have been better off letting a young, faster player emerge as their fourth receiver. Rate the move: This one makes no sense. Play a kid as the fourth receiver.

Signing Dayne: He has been a major flop since the Giants used a first-round pick on him in 2001. He has never run like a guy who weighs 250 pounds. Soft is a label he's earn, not only for his midsection, but also for the way he pounds the rock. It's a belief in Denver that any runner can have success in the Broncos system, a belief proven over time. Can Dayne? Not likely. Rate the move: Bad. Dayne isn't very good.

Trading for Sauerbrun: Sauerbrun, despite his off-field issues, is one of the league's best punters. He has a booming leg, finishing tied for third in the league last season for Carolina with a 44.1 average. That will go up kicking in Mile High Stadium. Keeping him in line might be another story. Rate the move: Outstanding -- as long as he stays clear of problems.

Acquiring Cleveland defensive lineman Ebenzer Ekuban, Gerard Warren and Courtney Brown: Brown and Warren are former high first-round picks -- Brown the first overall in 2000 -- while Ekuban was a first-round pick of the Cowboys. So the pedigree is there. All have had problems, though. Brown has battled injury woes for most of his career, and he failed a physical in Cleveland before he was let go because of a foot injury. Brown's a great guy, but injuries have made him a bad trivia question since he's the last non-quarterback to go first overall in the draft. Warren has loads of ability, but he was a major problem for the Browns. He didn't practice hard, and when coach Butch Davis allowed him to get away with it, there was friction in the locker room. If Warren does get committed to the cause, he can be an impact player. That's an "if" that's as wide as his waistline. Ekuban had a good year for the Browns last season, starting 14 games and getting eight sacks. But he had shoulder problems and had knee surgery after the season. Damaged goods. Can any of the three have productive 2005 seasons? The guess is Warren can if the Broncos stay on his ample behind. One out of three would be a good hit for Denver. Rate the move: So-so. If Warren becomes a starter and Ekuban can give them pass-rush help, these moves could work out.

Drafting Clarett: Using a third-round pick on Clarett opened a lot of eyes around the league. Clarett last played football as a freshman at Ohio State in 2002. He was then declared ineligible the next season for taking illegal benefits and hasn't played since. He tried to force his way into the draft last year through the courts but was denied. He then showed up out of running shape to the combine this year and didn't wow many at his Pro Day Workout. But this could be a move that pays off big for Denver. Clarett can run the football. "You look at him get into the hole so quickly and you know he's going to be successful," said one NFC scout. "He may not be a burner, but he knows how to run." Rate the move: Good. Clarett will help this team in a year or two. Once he makes over his body into an NFL physique, he will be a 1,000-yard rusher.

Comment

Thanks, Amigo. Prisco probably reads and re-reads his own articles, just to entertain himself. That's all I can make of his rubbish. The interview was much more revealing as to what was going on in Shanny's mind, wasn't it?

-----

Comment

Thanks Amigo

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
            Thanks, Amigo. Prisco probably reads and re-reads his own articles, just to entertain himself. That's all I can make of his rubbish. The interview was much more revealing as to what was going on in Shanny's mind, wasn't it?

-----
            I found really funny when he said: "No, we drafted Clarett just to have media attention, we don't really think he can play." (or something like that)... it seems that he has been asked way too many times about that.

Comment

Blah, Blah, Blah....

The same thing is being said everywhere? Doesn't any writer have any original thoughts?

Here's a non- Bronco fan's take....

Brown and Warren are good players who were drafted by the worst run team in the NFL. End of discussion. Myers and Ekuban may be decent and could turn out to be really solid players, but Brown and Warren are the true gems. They just need to play on a decent team. They could be stars right now if they hadn't been drafted into the armpit of the NFL.

Dayne is a RB who prolly shouldn't have been drafted in the 1st round. He was exposed in the Outback Bowl against Georgia when he was still playing for the Badgers. They penetrated into the backfield and once they got a good lick on him, he couldn't get a full head of steam and went nowhere. HOWEVER, behind a good O-line(which the Vagiants never had...) he could be a solid change-of-pace RB. He also has some surprisingly decent hands as a receiver out of the backfield and can pick up blitzes really well. Denver could be a nice fit for him.

Rice is a no-brainer. I wanted him on the Eagles. He signed a cheap affordable deal. If he doesn't pan out, you release him in preseason and no harm done. The only drawback is that he's prolly not gonna play ST's. Still, I think he can produce and I guarantee that if he sits down with Lelie for one hour watching game film, he can show him 10 things ole' Ashley can improve on going up against certain DB's. It's a win-win situation.

Everyone who says he's too old to play needs to be thrown in front of a bus. With all of the talk about Robert Smith, Ricky Williams, Jim Brown, and Barry Sanders walking away from the game too soon and it being such a waste, here we have a guy who loves the game so much that he's taking a lesser role for MUCH less money just to keep playing the game he loves and everyone is crucifying him for it.

This isn't a normal job... Once you walk away, it's over. Take advantage of it while you have the chance. Who cares if he isn't the same player he used to be? I'd say he's better than 60% of the WR's in the NFL based on his experience alone. Picture this.... You've got 26 seconds left in a crucial game with no timeouts.... Plummer has a wide open space with a WR just a few feet from the sideline and it would be enough for a first down AND be in Elam's FG range... who do you want there? Jerry Rice or Nate Jackson? If you say Nate Jackson, go run into a brick wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
                Is Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, who we call the Teflon Coach since all the criticism simply rolls off his back, in panic mode in an attempt to win a playoff game for the first time since John Elway retired?
                I think Shanahan would settle for being able to keep a playoff game close.
                The NFL 2005 season... The season the NFL finally changed the rule around cut-blocking. Now will Denver actually play nice?

"I predict Jake & the offense will take pretty good care of the ball and there will be no turnovers™" - urinal_cake

Originally posted by EMCF
                But wait until you meet a team of non-pansy players who can get it down for 4 quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bueno
                  Blah, Blah, Blah....

The same thing is being said everywhere? Doesn't any writer have any original thoughts?

Here's a non- Bronco fan's take....

Brown and Warren are good players who were drafted by the worst run team in the NFL. End of discussion. Myers and Ekuban may be decent and could turn out to be really solid players, but Brown and Warren are the true gems. They just need to play on a decent team. They could be stars right now if they hadn't been drafted into the armpit of the NFL.

Dayne is a RB who prolly shouldn't have been drafted in the 1st round. He was exposed in the Outback Bowl against Georgia when he was still playing for the Badgers. They penetrated into the backfield and once they got a good lick on him, he couldn't get a full head of steam and went nowhere. HOWEVER, behind a good O-line(which the Vagiants never had...) he could be a solid change-of-pace RB. He also has some surprisingly decent hands as a receiver out of the backfield and can pick up blitzes really well. Denver could be a nice fit for him.

Rice is a no-brainer. I wanted him on the Eagles. He signed a cheap affordable deal. If he doesn't pan out, you release him in preseason and no harm done. The only drawback is that he's prolly not gonna play ST's. Still, I think he can produce and I guarantee that if he sits down with Lelie for one hour watching game film, he can show him 10 things ole' Ashley can improve on going up against certain DB's. It's a win-win situation.

Everyone who says he's too old to play needs to be thrown in front of a bus. With all of the talk about Robert Smith, Ricky Williams, Jim Brown, and Barry Sanders walking away from the game too soon and it being such a waste, here we have a guy who loves the game so much that he's taking a lesser role for MUCH less money just to keep playing the game he loves and everyone is crucifying him for it.

This isn't a normal job... Once you walk away, it's over. Take advantage of it while you have the chance. Who cares if he isn't the same player he used to be? I'd say he's better than 60% of the WR's in the NFL based on his experience alone. Picture this.... You've got 26 seconds left in a crucial game with no timeouts.... Plummer has a wide open space with a WR just a few feet from the sideline and it would be enough for a first down AND be in Elam's FG range... who do you want there? Jerry Rice or Nate Jackson? If you say Nate Jackson, go run into a brick wall.

Brown and Warren's biggest need is to stay healthy. I find it hard to believe moving to a new city would cure that.

The Giants do have a good offensive line. Have you seen what Tiki barber has been able to do? That's a load of crap.
                  The NFL 2005 season... The season the NFL finally changed the rule around cut-blocking. Now will Denver actually play nice?

"I predict Jake & the offense will take pretty good care of the ball and there will be no turnovers™" - urinal_cake

Originally posted by EMCF
                  But wait until you meet a team of non-pansy players who can get it down for 4 quarters.

Comment

I think the key point is that none of these moves carry a lot of risk. There is not a lot of money tied up in any of these players and if things don't work out, send them packing. If just one or two of these moves work out then it was worth it.

Hell, if nothing else these moves have given us all a boatload to talk about and keep the offseason from being boring.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I just read this on the website and was thinking of creating a thread to show his narrow view. How non-logical his arguments are and how they are writin up in such abosute dramitic fashion. This artilce was absurd. I was offeneded as a reader.

As soon as i read the first page i went to the bottom on there site and seen somone made a thread called "stupid article" ..now that was entertaining reading people dismember this dibble being passed off as writiing. This guy has no idea what he talking about he's just a talking head spewing out of control.

Comment

Where is the link to the Shanahan interview?

Comment

There are risks in these moves. The general line of thinking is the cost was low, if they fail Denver isnt losing alot of dollars. What isnt mentioned is if these 3 or 4 guys dont pan out, the Dline is in much worse shape than last year.

How about they blossom, have great years, they are on short contracts and would surely be looking for a payday on a new contract.

That, to me, is a far greater risk than dropping a big payday on a young DLine player that doesnt have as many questions surrounding health and has shown ability in his first few years.

Comment

Wow, that's pretty much the most amateur-ish article i've ever read. If i were to write an article about the raiders off season, it would be very similar. How many times did he call our players fat??? What the hell man? MoC isn't even fat, he's freakin solid. Wow, how long till we get on the field to shut everyone up?

And to big red stick, one correction, warren doesn't have injury problems. He had a strained pec last year, but that's pretty much it.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
                            ABWRFRC

Comment

Originally posted by Broncology
                              Where is the link to the Shanahan interview?
                              Right in Amigo's thread-starter post. It's under "link."

Once you get into the page, it it takes a little looking to find it, but it's there.

Edit: Oh, Sorry, Bronc. That is the link to the article. Go to http://www.nfl.com, and then you can find it down under "Video."

-----
                              Last edited by topscribe; 05-27-2005, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X