Hardest hitting Bronco Safety...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest hitting Bronco Safety...

Rank the hardest hitting Bronco Safeties...

I came up with 5 guys who hit especially hard...if you have 1 to add, feel free..

My 5 are as follows...

1.) Steve Atwater- The guy would throw his body at you however he could...his style kinda reminded me of how Roy Jones Jr. punches...The guy put 268lb Christian Okoye back 2 yards on a critical short yardage down...Unfortunately for Steve, he would have to hand over his salary to pay the fines were he playing in today's nerf league...
    2.) John Lynch- He almost reminds me of a Pro-Wrestler coming off the top rope...John will put you out...I put him below Steve Atwater, because Steve was more of a complete player at safety...
    3.) Dennis Smith- Dennis was almost as hard a hitter as Steve Atwater...Dennis came and wood came with him...
    4.) Kenoy Kennedy- It seemed like once per game, Kenoy introduced some poor slob to the spirit world...
    5.) Mike Harden- I didn't see him play very much, but I remember he was also a hitter...
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Originally posted by Big Bad John

I came up with 5 guys who hit especially hard...if you have 1 to add, feel free..

My 5 are as follows...

1.) Steve Atwater- The guy would throw his body at you however he could...his style kinda reminded me of how Roy Jones Jr. punches...The guy put 268lb Christian Okoye back 2 yards on a critical short yardage down...Unfortunately for Steve, he would have to hand over his salary to pay the fines were he playing in today's nerf league...
    2.) John Lynch- He almost reminds me of a Pro-Wrestler coming off the top rope...John will put you out...I put him below Steve Atwater, because Steve was more of a complete player at safety...
    3.) Dennis Smith- Dennis was almost as hard a hitter as Steve Atwater...Dennis came and wood came with him...
    4.) Kenoy Kennedy- It seemed like once per game, Kenoy introduced some poor slob to the spirit world...
    5.) Mike Harden- I didn't see him play very much, but I remember he was also a hitter...
    Sound good to me. End of thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John

My 5 are as follows...

I totally agree with that list.

Comment

Great list.

And that 'Okoye-hit' practically killed that man's career. He was never the same after that.

To put it into perspective for some: Imagine Jamal Lewis or Jerome Bettis in their prime (Okoye was having an incredible season, the guy was a monster) and having him and a defensive-back run into each other --- and the only one standing after all is said and done is the d-back. That hit alone is a top-5 tackle of all-time, IMO.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
        - Carl Sagan

Comment

I've been looking for a picture or clip of that Okoye hit for a long time, can anybody help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
            Sound good to me. End of thread.
            JR, I'm surprised at you, an "old-timer" such as I. Have you forgotten one?

My list (for comments, see BBJ's post: Except for one, his will do):

1. John Lynch
            2. Steve Atwater
            3. Billy Thompson -- A defensive terror!
            3. Dennis Smith
            4. Kenoy Kennedy
            5. Mike Harden

Comment

My picks are Atwater and Dennis Smith. However, this part of the game is IMO is going the way of the dinosaur. The rules changes, I fear, will allow this part of the game to only exist in history rather than practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                My picks are Atwater and Dennis Smith. However, this part of the game is IMO is going the way of the dinosaur. The rules changes, I fear, will allow this part of the game to only exist in history rather than practice.
                Yeah I agree with you...them old dinosaurs....next they'll talk about leather helmits and squares on the field and the goal post mounted in the ground on the goal line and no face masks etc
                "Go away kid, you bother me"....W.C. Fields

Comment

Uh-huh . . .

Originally posted by cuuda
                  Yeah I agree with you...them old dinosaurs....next they'll talk about leather helmits and squares on the field and the goal post mounted in the ground on the goal line and no face masks etc
                  Sarcasm will get you somewhere, my "old" friend.

-----

Comment

interesting thought...go down through 10, who will you see?
                    Last edited by Portis'HomeDogg; 05-28-2005, 03:10 PM.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
                    RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                    Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
                    -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
                      I've been looking for a picture or clip of that Okoye hit for a long time, can anybody help me out?
                      PM me and I can hook you up. I got an NFL Films clip with it and interviews with Elway, Simon Fletcher, and I believe Charlie Waters.

Comment

The only exception I have to the original list is Kennoy Kennedy. Sure, he'd land big hits on WRs that were smaller than him and "unaware" they were about to get lit up, but I never saw him clean a RB's or a TE's clock the way the others could. Most of the time one on one with a RB or TE, Kennedy would get run over. I honestly think Nick Ferguson, pound for pound, is a better hitter and more importantly - tackler. If you don't believe me check out the Broncos TV archives where he absolutely smokes MA (who he gives up 30 lbs to) in camp not once, but twice in the open field. Why do you think they call him "TRAIN WRECK"?

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                          Sarcasm will get you somewhere, my "old" friend.

-----
                          Sorry, couldn't pass it up............we need to remember they didn't have the added pads and other protective devices that they wear now back then......remember Elway had to wear a special brace on his knee or leg(looked like a young Forrest Gump running sideways) or the insurance company wouldn't cover him....think there was a game where the equipment manager forgot(?) to bring it to cleveland(?) , believe they got it to him just minutes before the game
                          "Go away kid, you bother me"....W.C. Fields

Comment

3. Dennis Smith was the hardest hitting Bronco Safety and to put anyone ahead of him is silly !!!!!!!! and I loved the way Steve Atwater played !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 56crash
                              3. Dennis Smith was the hardest hitting Bronco Safety and to put anyone ahead of him is silly !!!!!!!! and I loved the way Steve Atwater played !!!!!!!

I vivily remember Dennis Smith playing...He was an evil hitter...but Steve came at you with everything that he had, and he had 6' 3" 217lbs....Dennis was more like 6'1 205 unles I am mistaken...
                              And John Lynch has to rank above Dennis, unless you missed all of last season...
                              I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Working...
                              X