Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of running game do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wise-guy ehh
    [1]Portis is a great running back who is very ellusive and has the quickness and speed to bust long runs consistently. He's a threat to go the distance at any time.

I still prefer a running back who is not afraid to make contact. I want a guy who lowers his shoulder and tries to blast through tacklers like, oh, lets say, an Earl Campbell type back. Walter Payton was another who intended to punish a tackler. [2]Is there a back like that today?
    [1] Let's give him a few years. Then see how "great" he is. "Great" is Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers. "Good" is Clinton Portis. We'll see.

[2] Michael Anderson. He may not be another Earl Campbell, but Campbell did not have anything over on MA when it comes to his willingness to play smash-mouth football.

-----

Comment

I prefer the kind of running game where Ron Dayne runs over everybody for the touchdown. Go Brewers............Sheets only allowed two hits last night.

Comment

Originally posted by MajikMan7
        I prefer the kind of running game where Ron Dayne runs over everybody for the touchdown. Go Brewers............Sheets only allowed two hits last night.
        I have no problem with someone supporting a Bronco any Bronco. You seem to be totally taken by Dayne. I just dont see what you see.

Comment

Ah but . . .

No running back can be compared to Earl Campbell and his willingness to play smash-mouth football. Campbell was responsible for the decline of Isaiah Robertsons great career because of a single hit.
          Jim Brown comes to mind. No one can be compared to him in that area, least of all Earl Campbell. Except Jim Taylor and Walt Garrison.

And, yes, I will put Michael Anderson up against anybody when it comes to willingness to play smash-mouth and to run over people. Again, I am not comparing MA to Earl Campbell as a total running back. But MA is vicious. Period.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
            I have no problem with someone supporting a Bronco any Bronco. You seem to be totally taken by Dayne. I just dont see what you see.
            Well I live in WI so I saw Dayne tear up every college football team he faced. And hime become the all time NCAA rushing leader. He's got tons of talent.....the giants just didn't use him right.

Comment

Well I live in WI so I saw Dayne tear up every college football team he faced. And hime become the all time NCAA rushing leader. He's got tons of talent.....the giants just didn't use him right.
              Now I see where you're coming from. Hopefully Dayne won't disappoint you.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                Now I see where you're coming from. Hopefully Dayne won't disappoint you.
                He won't, thats why I'm taking him in the 1st round of my Fantasy Football league this coming season.

Comment

Portis is a great running back who is very ellusive and has the quickness and speed to bust long runs consistently. He's a threat to go the distance at any time.

I still prefer a running back who is not afraid to make contact. I want a guy who lowers his shoulder and tries to blast through tacklers like, oh, lets say, an Earl Campbell type back. Walter Payton was another who intended to punish a tackler. Is there a back like that today?
                  So what happened in WAS?

Other than one long run, his first touch of the year. His whooping 3.5 average stunk the place up.

Comment

Well, you are free to think anything you want about one of your favorite players. Outside of Jim Brown and Walter Payton, no one can compare to Earl Campbell's ability to punish a tackler. After all, I don't know of any other running back who is said to be responsible for ending the career of a defensive player who was considered a beast. ( Campbell vs Robertson )

How many games did Campbell miss over his career? Not very many. Pretty impressive when you consider how he played.
                    How old are you? Did you ever see Jim Taylor play? Walt Garrison? Larry Csonka? John Riggins?

Nonetheless, please don't put words in my mouth. It gets my ire up. I did not say a thing about the ability to punish a tackler. I talked about the

WILLINGNESS

to play smash-mouth football.

You think I may have made myself clear now?

Sheesh!

-----

Comment

He has yet to do this in the NFL. He is not a scat back at 245-270 pound his old playing weights. Yet he plays like one dancing around in the backfield.

Perhaps he did not do that in college but the pllayers in the NFL are bigger and faster than how they play in the big 10.

Comment

Guy, sit back and relax. I don't want to see you vapor lock. Good grief........
                        Just, when I write something, please be content to read out of what I say, not read into it. That's all I ask.

-----

Comment

You still may benefit from getting into Yoga or something. No need to get all cranked up over nothing.
                          Well, you have your values, and I have mine. You also have your buttons, and I have mine. If you like yoga, more power to you. Perhaps it helps you with your buttons.

Sorry if I don't see things through your eyes. But my writing is usually pretty precise. The third time I have to come back and try to explain what the recipient took wrong, the hairs on the back of my neck are beginning to stand up.

But this doesn't have to be a running issue. We understand each other now, don't we?

-----

Comment

Working...
                          X