Who is our most talented back-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is our most talented back-up?

I know that the season hasn't started yet and the starting line-up is not etched in stone, but who would you say will likely sit the bench on opening day while the others play...(a rhyme )

Is it Clarrett, Griffin...Jerry Rice, Stephen Alexander...Ekuban, (assuming Pryce and Brown start) Jashon Sykes, Darrent Williams...who do you say?

I go with Quentin Griffin...if the kid could put his head into the game, he could start for 25 NFL teams with his talent...
    Rice in his hey-day would have been a no-brainer...IMO...
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

I'm gonna go with terry pierce. If you had asked this last year the answer would have been nick ferguson for sure.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
    ABWRFRC

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John
      I know that the season hasn't started yet and the starting line-up is not etched in stone, but who would you say will likely sit the bench on opening day while the others play...(a rhyme )

Is it Clarrett, Griffin...Jerry Rice, Stephen Alexander...Ekuban, (assuming Pryce and Brown start) Jashon Sykes, Darrent Williams...who do you say?

I go with Quentin Griffin...if the kid could put his head into the game, he could start for 25 NFL teams with his talent...
      Rice in his hey-day would have been a no-brainer...IMO...
      If Rice were in his hey-day the back up would be Lelie. Good thread though. I dont have a clue as to who is the best back up. I think Shanny will find a way to exploit Rice's skills. He'll be a good back up. I dont know who'll be the best though.

Comment

Are you talking about immediately usable talent or latent talent? In usable talent, I would probably go with MA (assuming he is the backup; Bobby Turner is still giving him a crack at starting), Sykes, or Ekuban. In latent talent, Clarett, whose upside is just incredible. I might have gone along with you on Q on usable if I knew he was recovering fully from that devastating injury. Darrent Williams has plenty of latent talent, also. Jerry Rice, over his career, has had more than anybody; the key here is "has had." He's not washed up, but is surely in the downside of his career.

IMHO.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by PRBronco
          I'm gonna go with terry pierce. If you had asked this last year the answer would have been nick ferguson for sure.
          I'll go with Pierce too.

We haven't seen him in action much as a Bronco, but I had the chance to see a couple of K-State games when he was there and he was a complete monster.
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

Absolutely . . .

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
            I'll go with Pierce too.

We haven't seen him in action much as a Bronco, but I had the chance to see a couple of K-State games when he was there and he was a complete monster.
            MnG, Pierce would start for most teams, I believe. It is such a shame to see him languishing away on the bench. It's not really the Broncos' fault; he has D.J. Williams, Wilson, and Gold ahead of him, and then there is Sykes. But I really do believe the Broncos could do Pierce a favor by trading him to a team who needs him (except Washington!), and they could do themselves a favor by getting some value out of him in return. Frankly, I just don't know why they don't. There should be plenty of backup LBs out there who should be backups, whom we could get relatively cheaply.

IMHO.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
              MnG, Pierce would start for most teams, I believe. It is such a shame to see him languishing away on the bench. It's not really the Broncos' fault; he has D.J. Williams, Wilson, and Gold ahead of him, and then there is Sykes. But I really do believe the Broncos could do Pierce a favor by trading him to a team who needs him (except Washington!), and they could do themselves a favor by getting some value out of him in return. Frankly, I just don't know why they don't. There should be plenty of backup LBs out there who should be backups, whom we could get relatively cheaply.

IMHO.

-----
              Good idea, i suggest ripping off the saints, they didn't pick up the linebackers they so sorely needed this offseason.

As far as cheap backups go, we had 3 guys in preseason last year, who played fairly well: louis green, charles burton and johnny rutledge. I'd feel comfortable with one of them at backup. We also have this markus steele character who seems to have popped up on our roster, maybe he'll show us something.
              Last edited by PRBronco; 06-06-2005, 10:29 AM.

ABWRFRC

Comment

I second, third, hell even fourth those who take about Pierce, played great at K-State and is a fantastic back-up. Clarett has a lot of upside too.

Comment

IMHO.

-----
                  I agree with you completely. I understand we drafted him just in case we couldn't re-sign Al, and I do believe he would be a more than adequate replacement for our beloved MLB. There's definitely value there; not only for us, but for another team as well. It'd be our luck to trade him and then have Wilson get injured a couple of weeks later. I kind of don't want to see him go, but it is sad to see talent of his level not adding much to the game at this point. In addition to Washington, I'd hate to see him go to any of the AFC West teams (obviously). It's ironic that those are also some of the teams that would benefit most from having him on their squads. Coincidence???
                  Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
                    I agree with you completely. I understand we drafted him just in case we couldn't re-sign Al, and I do believe he would be a more than adequate replacement for our beloved MLB. There's definitely value there; not only for us, but for another team as well. It'd be our luck to trade him and then have Wilson get injured a couple of weeks later. I kind of don't want to see him go, but it is sad to see talent of his level not adding much to the game at this point. In addition to Washington, I'd hate to see him go to any of the AFC West teams (obviously). It's ironic that those are also some of the teams that would benefit most from having him on their squads. Coincidence???
                    Personally, I'd like to see him go somewhere such as the Browns.
                    It would be great to see him contribute toward the defeat of the Steelers.
                    (The Browns need more than him for that though.)

-----

Comment

Good idea, i suggest ripping off the saints, they didn't pick up the linebackers they so sorely needed this offseason.

As far as cheap backups go, we had 3 guys in preseason last year, who played fairly well: louis green, charles burton and johnny rutledge. I'd feel comfortable with one of them at backup. We also have this markus steele character who seems to have popped up on our roster, maybe he'll show us something.
                      Well, Steele is damn fast, I'll tell you that.
                      Whether that translates into a good LB, I wouldn't know in his case.
                      However, he is still around for more than to fill an empty locker, I'm sure.

-----

Comment

Well, Steele is damn fast, I'll tell you that.
                        Whether that translates into a good LB, I wouldn't know in his case.
                        However, he is still around for more than to fill an empty locker, I'm sure.

-----
                        Have you seen him play or do you have a 40 time? If so, what is it?

ABWRFRC

Comment

Yes . . .

Have you seen him play or do you have a 40 time? If so, what is it?
                          I watched Steele play when he was with USC. He killed my Arizona Wildcats (UA).

Steele's 40, according to the chart, is 4.53, as opposed to D.J. Williams' 4.52 there. Some posters here don't like that chart, but I do. While some of them don't think the times there are fast enough, I maintain that times are overblown anyway, and these reflect more realistic figures. Yet others say that times from other sources are different, to which I respond that, for most players where you can find other sources, times tend to be all over the place. For instance, what you can find on Middlebrooks ranges from 4.37 to 4.70. Now, isn't that silly? Middlebrooks is nowhere near any 4.37. The chart is more realistic, IMO, at 4.65, from my observations of Middlebrooks.

But I ramble.

Going back to Steele, I saw nothing in his play to disspell that fast timing on him. The UA had some fairly quick backs, but none Steele could not run down. I'll tell you, the guy is fast.

-----

Comment

I agree, Pierce is a wonderful linebacker. But I'm going with Tatum Bell. If it were last year I would have gone with Kelly Herndon. Was he even a starter last year? Well, Tatum Bell has speed, power, heart, and lots of more stuff. If he could stay off the Injury List, he would have gained 1000 yards easily, if Reuben Droughns hadn't been the starter.

Comment

Actually, the most talented backup we currently have is former starting OT Clement from the Cardinals.

Comment

Working...
                              X