Elam or Vinatieri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elam or Vinatieri

A couple months ago I was in an argument about who is the better kicker. I know most everyone here will say Elam, but please try and give an explanation.

Vinatieri is 96.0% from 20-29. Elams is 95.4%.
    Vinatieri is 81.7% from 30-39. Elam is 90.9%.
    Vinatieri is 70.1% from 40-49. Elam is 61.7%.
    Vinatieri is 53.3% from 50+. Elam is 62.9%.
    Vinatieri is 98.2% on extra points. Elam is 99.6%.
    Vinatieri is 82.1% for his career. Elam is 79.6%

I'm not aware of any Vinatieri records, but Elam has a few:
    Longest FG (63 yds). Most consecutive extra points (371). Most consecutive 100 point seasons (also most consecutive to start out career).

He's .01% behind Vanderjact for highest career extra point percentage.
    He's 66 field goals away from 3rd place on the all time list.
    He needs 6 50+ yard field goals for the most all time.
    He needs 560 points from 3rd place on the all time scoring list.
    He needs two more 100 point seasons for the most ever.
    He is second all time in most consecutive games scoring.
    Jason Elam
    82.81%
    Adam Vinatieri
    17.19%

The poll is expired.

Good analysis. Before reading the post I instantly thought Vinaterri. But upon further review I guess it would...

still be Vinaterri, guys made to many clutch kicks to be taken second to Elam.
    Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Not much to choose from.
      However, accept my homer vote for Elam.

They both have made clutch kicks.

-----

Comment

my homer vote is obviously for elam but they are both excellent kickers.
        BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
        IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by pikman
          Good analysis. Before reading the post I instantly thought Vinaterri. But upon further review I guess it would...
          still be Vinaterri, guys made to many clutch kicks to be taken second to Elam.
          The only argument for Vinatieri would be his clutch kicks. Yes he's made them (3 I believe) when he had the oppurtunity. But who's to say Elam would have made or missed them. Elam really hasn't been put in many "clutch kick" situations. By that I mean playoff games or the SB.

Comment

Elam cause I'm Homer like Simpson....
            2007 Season- Allllll Readddddy!!!!! #27

Comment

Hmmm . . .

Originally posted by wise-guy ehh
              and his accuracy and consistency at all ranges.
              Looks like the stats are pretty similar there.

-----

Comment

Excellant topic. The homer in me wants to say Elam, but Vinatieri is amazing in the clutch. Elam has lost us a few games throughout the season, nothing big that I can recall but he's still missed a few critical kicks.

In the end, the homer in me wins out though...
                The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by wise-guy ehh
                  and his accuracy and consistency at all ranges.
                  But Elam has attempted 54 from 50+ and 120 from 40-49. Vinatieri has attempted 15 from 50+ and 93 from 40-49. Elam tries more long range kicks, so his percentage should be a little lower.

Elam
                  Vinatieri

Plus in the SB against Carolina Vinatieri was 1 for three with the game winner. Maybe he wouldn't of had to make that clutch kick if he'd made one of the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by RBDynasty
                    Excellant topic. The homer in me wants to say Elam, but Vinatieri is amazing in the clutch. Elam has lost us a few games throughout the season, nothing big that I can recall but he's still missed a few critical kicks.

In the end, the homer in me wins out though...
                    Uh . . . . well, it's nice that you finally decided on Elam--although I said earlier that there wasn't much to choose from between the two.

Nonetheless, I am curious as to the specific games Elam has lost for us. I can remember one where he missed a kick (but not the opponent), but I am really trying to recall the "few."

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      Uh . . . . well, it's nice that you finally decided on Elam--although I said earlier that there wasn't much to choose from between the two.

Nonetheless, I am curious as to the specific games Elam has lost for us. I can remember one where he missed a kick (but not the opponent), but I am really trying to recall the "few."

-----
                      I do remember him missing an extra point (one of the two he's missed in his career) in '02 against Indy. Vanderjagt made a 50 yarder to tie it up I believe. Then he made another 50 yarder to win it in OT.

Comment

not counting age i pick elam, counting age i pick adam
                        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Hmmm.
                          Difficult question.

I'm glad Elam is on the Broncos, and I think he will be the first kicker to get a HOF nod, since forever.

But Adam graduated from my High School/College, so there's a smidgeon of homerism there, also.

Nah! Elam! He's a Bronco!

Gotta love her
                          Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                          .... i wanted to offend nobody besides rushmore.
                          Originally Posted by Alastor
                          ......Intelligence isn't anything on wisdom or character

Comment

The only knock that could be made on Elam is that he has played his whole career in the thin air in Denver. But I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. Both have a shot at the HOF.
                            My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Originally posted by MtRushmore
                              Hmmm.
                              Difficult question.

I'm glad Elam is on the Broncos, and I think he will be the first kicker to get a HOF nod, since forever.

But Adam graduated from my High School/College, so there's a smidgeon of homerism there, also.

Nah! Elam! He's a Bronco!
                              True test of loyalty.

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X