X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bklynbronco
    replied
    it's not like our secondary is all that

we knew coming to this season that our secondary would be the broncos weak link. several times this year they were exposed. coyer did a good job all year long of cover up this weakness especially with the injuries to gold and mobley. that's why he didn't blitz as much as he would like to leaving our corners exposed through out the year.yesterday he had to blitz cause the front four couldn't apply pressure quick enough and when they blocked the blitz there was a very confused secondary who got scorched. so stragglers might be the secondary but if that's the case they have been straggling all year cause they haven't been that good. the key to our defense was the pass rush which was no where to be found. the colts switched thier center "saturday" to block trevor price. since he was having success against trevor why wasn't thier an adjustment made. no matter what the denver defense was on the field too damn much so of course we were to be exposed but as for stragglers i say the d-line. but i guess with such a whipping, yes there can be a lot more blame to go around.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are "The Stragglers"?

Originally posted by rascal
    True. Maybe we need to get some of those guys off of LSU's defense. Number 94 Hill (6'7" 290 DE) was a stud, and those corners blanketed their receivers all game (and those receivers are fast). Strait played a good game for OU.

The D line of LSU is what impresses me the most this season

They ranked something like 4th overall in rushing d, while playing the ground oriented SEC, perhaps the toughest conference in the nation on a consistent basis.

Ohio State has 2 pretty good corners.

I didn't watch the Sugar Bowl. My protest against the insanity of the BCS leaving out a team ranked #1 in both polls. So I'll take your word for it about their secondary players.

I was actually thinking that Antoine Winfield of Buffalo is free aganet any day now, as is Ed Reed of Baltimore (or he may be next season, I forget. I think getting one more experienced player to go with the young guys would be a big help.

Anyone have a free-agent eligible list?

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    Originally posted by AsianOrange
    Man...if we can get that DE....we would be [email protected] Who the heck is our other end?
    berry and haywood can rotate.

Leave a comment:

• AsianOrange
    replied
    Man...if we can get that DE....we would be [email protected] Who the heck is our other end?

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are "The Stragglers"?

Originally posted by Jared
    I would think that given Manning's performance, you have to look at the secondary first. Yes, he had a great game, but it was compounded by poor secondary play. Combine those two, and it is very hard for a team to win.
    True. Maybe we need to get some of those guys off of LSU's defense. Number 94 Hill (6'7" 290 DE) was a stud, and those corners blanketed their receivers all game (and those receivers are fast). Strait played a good game for OU.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: Who are "The Stragglers"?

Originally posted by rascal
    It wasn't just the secondary standing around Harrison, you seem to forget the leader of our defense Al Wilson was the one closest and the one that was yelling the most at his fellow teammates instead of playing.

Another person is Dan Neil. 2 holding penalties and a personal foul. That killed us early.
    Well, yes, I realized that after I posted it, but you beat me to it.

Its like "DUH".

I would think that given Manning's performance, you have to look at the secondary first. Yes, he had a great game, but it was compounded by poor secondary play. Combine those two, and it is very hard for a team to win.

Leave a comment:

• newguy
    replied
    After that one play, you'd think zone would be gone. Obviously it was just a bunch of finger pointing. If they can't do zone right, go with man.
    Actually, I think there are many stragglers around. Yesterday they outnumbered the guys who came to play.

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    Re: Re: Who are "The Stragglers"?

Originally posted by Jared
    Perhaps the entire secondary. 7 players around Marvin Harrison, and not one remembers that they are not in college?

They are not all rookies either.
    It wasn't just the secondary standing around Harrison, you seem to forget the leader of our defense Al Wilson was the one closest and the one that was yelling the most at his fellow teammates instead of playing.

Another person is Dan Neil. 2 holding penalties and a personal foul. That killed us early.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Re: Who are "The Stragglers"?

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed here, but I'd like to know who some of you think Rod Smith was talking about in his post-game comments.

I have a feeling that he's talking about some "big time" players.

If there's a thread where people have gone in to detail about this then let me know. I've just been too busy this morning to delve in to it myself and almost too embarrassed to ask.

Perhaps the entire secondary. 7 players around Marvin Harrison, and not one remembers that they are not in college?

They are not all rookies either.

Leave a comment:

• Mount-n-Groan
    replied
    Pryce was the first person that came to mind for me too.

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    Pryce maybe? The guy was talking before the game like he expected to lose. If one expects to lose, one will play like loser.

Leave a comment:

• Mount-n-Groan
    started a topic Who are "The Stragglers"?

Who are "The Stragglers"?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed here, but I'd like to know who some of you think Rod Smith was talking about in his post-game comments.

by Rod Smith
    "Right now we have, in my personal opinion, a few stragglers. What I mean by that is, we have some guys that don't live and breathe football, simple as that."
    I have a feeling that he's talking about some "big time" players.

If there's a thread where people have gone in to detail about this then let me know. I've just been too busy this morning to delve in to it myself and almost too embarrassed to ask.
Working...
X