Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the '05 Broncos D be our greatest ever...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the '05 Broncos D be our greatest ever...?

I know that it's a pretty tall order, but I think that they can...

At least talent-wise...

IMO, we have more talent on Defense than dare-I-say ever...

I think that the weakest link in our Defense is John Lynch...Assuming that Nick Ferguson starts at the other Safety, I expect him to "lay the wood" like Kenoy did and run with a receiver downfield, like Kenoy didn't...
    Our Linebackers are solid...any one of Wilson, Williams or Gold could lead this team in tackles, or make the Pro-Bowl...Sykes and Chukwurah are formidable reserves...
    Champ Bailey is Champ Bailey...I feel that he had a sub-par season last season and having spent a year on our Defense will benefit from at the very least, knowing the personel...He played opposite Lenny last year for a couple of games...and having a guy like Ferguson back there who is interested in making plays on the ball more-so than hunting heads ala Kenoy Kennedy should benefit Champ...Oh, yeah...and I expect us to have a pass-rush as well...
    We are loaded with Rookies and Roc Alexander for depth...I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a journeyman CB either...
    On the line we have two potential starters in their contract years...(C.Brown, G. Warren)..Pryce is the catalyst here, IMO...IF Trevor can play to 80% of his potential, this line will wreak havoc on opposing Offenses...Just as the enigma that is our Defensive Line is perplexing to us, it is a scouting nightmare for Offensive game-planning...
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Well I sure hope it is the best lol. But I really do think this D will be the best ever.

Comment

Talent wise, possibly.

I cant even count how many first round picks there are on the defence.

If they gel and stay healthy, watch out.

Comment

The Orange Crush of the late 70s...

This D has a loooong way to go to be compared to the Orange Crush.

Anyone that watched Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Louie Wright, Lyle Alzado, Ruben Carter, Barney Chavous, Steve Foley, Bob Swenson, Billy Tompson has to know that the D was special...

Our leading tackler now will be lucky to be within 100 tackles of Gradishar's season totals and not taking anything away from Champ, he didn't play as well as Louie Wright...And none of today's LBs are any faster than TJ or Swenson. TJ ran a 4.4/4.5 back in those days. And Steve Foley is our all-time interceptions leader.

Today's D will need to play very well for 4 or 5 years to be considered our best...

Not to mention, Lyle Alazdo got beat up by Ali. Trevor Pryce has to at least box Tyson...

Comment

Could the '05 Broncos D be our greatest ever...?

I don't think so.

We need to get another veteran corner first.

Teams will spread us out, trying to take advantage of our rookies.

Hopefully our pass rush will negate some of that though.

Comment

If our front 4 can make plays, we WILL have the #1 defence this year. IMO

2005 INT Totals Bailey, Williams, Foxworth: 14
            2004 INT Team Total: 12

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx

Anyone that watched Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Louie Wright, Lyle Alzado, Ruben Carter, Barney Chavous, Steve Foley, Bob Swenson, Billy Tompson has to know that the D was special...

Our leading tackler now will be lucky to be within 100 tackles of Gradishar's season totals and not taking anything away from Champ, he didn't play as well as Louie Wright...And none of today's LBs are any faster than TJ or Swenson. TJ ran a 4.4/4.5 back in those days. And Steve Foley is our all-time interceptions leader.

Today's D will need to play very well for 4 or 5 years to be considered our best...

Not to mention, Lyle Alazdo got beat up by Ali. Trevor Pryce has to at least box Tyson...
              Yea ill agree with tht, but tht was befor the Sal. Cap era. I dont think it wud be possiable to create tht kind of defence with the cap in place. Darn!

2005 INT Totals Bailey, Williams, Foxworth: 14
              2004 INT Team Total: 12

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx

Great post. Agree on everything except the LBing speed.

Gold is at a 4.50, Williams is at a 4.52. But TJ may very well have been faster, though not by too much.

Comment

Yea i agree Gold and Dj ran pretty close to Tj. And i agree with Dark Knight we need a vet corner back. The corner backs we r going with do not have much experience except for Champ and Walls. The rest have like 2 years or less. I hope Nick does good but i dont know i think are safteys r not great.
                  Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Best Broncos D ever

There is sure alot of talent on the team, the older teams had talent too, but were they all on the same squad. Theres always talent but the only defense that had talent that went anywhere is 97', 98' Denver. This squad has the players to be that team, but do they have the craving to be the best like the 97', 98' teams.

by Snk16

Snk16 Thanks Playa

My kids name is Karl Paymah, so if you have a problem with him you come and talk to me!

Comment

Actually, TJ did run a 4.4 out of Lousiville, and Lee Corso, his college coach, said TJ was the best player in school history, which would include Johnny Unitas.

Bob Swenson was actually faster than TJ, before a serious knee injury. But DJ Williams is bigger than either Swenson or TJ.

College legend Woody Hayes called Gradishar the best player he ever coached, and Hayes coached Archie Griffin, the only two-time Heisman and team mate of Gradishar's.

Ray Lewis barely broke 200 tackles in the 3-4 last year, but that's what Gradishar averaged for his entire career. Al Wilson isn't close to being a Gradishar, with all due respect to Al.

As far as "going anywhere", the Orange Crush was the only team to make the Superbowl without John Elway, and they didn't do it with offense...

This D needs to carry this team to a Superbowl to be compared to the Orange Crush, IMO.

Comment

We need more depth in the secondary

Comment

Here's a little more ammo for the Orange Crush:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sta.../bucs_offense/

Still, only one team has played in the Super Bowl despite averaging fewer than 20 points a game in the regular season -- the 1977 Denver Broncos, who averaged 19.6 and had the "Orange Crush" defense.

Is this defense good enough to get us to the Superbowl if our offense only averages 19.6 points this year?

Comment

There are several thing s need to happen before the defense will be great.

1. Defensive line needs to produce pressure.
                            2. Feurgerson has coverage ball hawking safety.
                            3. Champ has to concentrate better and don't under estimate his opponents.
                            4. Coyer has to be creative. he needs to use more variety of defensive schemes.
                            5. We need another vetern corner.

Comment

this defense is'nt great enough yet although they do have alot of good players

Comment

Working...
                              X