Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consistency Counts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Consistency Counts

    A lot of talk about changing this and that on the D. This defence is young and talented. Look at the experience of this group:

    Berry-6 yrs Fatafehi-3yrs
    Foster-1yr Hayward-3yrs
    Herndon-2yrs Kennedy-4yrs
    Middlebrooks-3yrs O'Neil-4yrs
    Pope-2yrs Pryce-7yrs
    Spragan-2yrs Sykes-1yr
    Walls-2yrs Wilson-5yrs
    Ferguson-4yrs Gold-4yrs

    This squad if left in tact and coached properly can be dominant for many years. I think we as Bronco fans have to realize that the team doesn't really need to go out looking for "shutdown CB's" and other quick fixes (that may not workout, see Gardner). The Broncos D finished 4th in the league, 4th. That was after key injuries and starting some guys that may not have been ready. Now I here a lot of talk about what needs to be fixed. What needs to be fixed is this, NOTHING. Keep this unit in tact, don't go spending money on overpriced free agents, re-structure contracts to keep the core guys, and watch the guys like Walls, Herndon, Sykes, etc...blossom after this year in which the experience they gained will be invaluable.
    Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

    It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

    Vince Lombardi

  • #2
    Re: Consistency Counts

    Berry-6 yrs Fatafehi-3yrs
    Foster-1yr Hayward-3yrs
    Herndon-2yrs Kennedy-4yrs
    Middlebrooks-3yrs O'Neil-4yrs
    Pope-2yrs Pryce-7yrs
    Spragan-2yrs Sykes-1yr
    Walls-2yrs Wilson-5yrs
    Ferguson-4yrs Gold-4yrs


    Foster? Isn't he offense tackle?

    Your point is valid, but in today's NFL defensive players don't usually last as long. Unless you play for the raiders or your name is Bruce Smith.
    Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

    You too Cutler.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Re: Consistency Counts

      Originally posted by rascal

      Foster? Isn't he offense tackle?

      My bad on Foster
      Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

      It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

      Vince Lombardi

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Re: Consistency Counts

        Originally posted by rascal



        Foster? Isn't he offense tackle?


        No, he's a good imported beer!
        [QUOTE]
        If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991


        The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Re: Re: Consistency Counts

          Originally posted by dhall26
          No, he's a good imported beer!
          I'm so sick of Fosters. Went to australia for 6 weeks several years back and that was all that we had. I taste it now and I can't stand it.
          Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

          You too Cutler.

          Comment


          • #6
            Anyway...
            Back to the point of the thread.

            I think the defense has tremendous amounts of potential but needs to fill some areas. That being a pass rusher (it would have been nice to see what Gardener could have done) and a excellent CB.
            Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

            You too Cutler.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Consistency Counts

              Originally posted by pikman
              A lot of talk about changing this and that on the D. This defence is young and talented. Look at the experience of this group:

              Berry-6 yrs Fatafehi-3yrs
              Foster-1yr Hayward-3yrs
              Herndon-2yrs Kennedy-4yrs
              Middlebrooks-3yrs O'Neil-4yrs
              Pope-2yrs Pryce-7yrs
              Spragan-2yrs Sykes-1yr
              Walls-2yrs Wilson-5yrs
              Ferguson-4yrs Gold-4yrs

              This squad if left in tact and coached properly can be dominant for many years. I think we as Bronco fans have to realize that the team doesn't really need to go out looking for "shutdown CB's" and other quick fixes (that may not workout, see Gardner). The Broncos D finished 4th in the league, 4th. That was after key injuries and starting some guys that may not have been ready. Now I here a lot of talk about what needs to be fixed. What needs to be fixed is this, NOTHING. Keep this unit in tact, don't go spending money on overpriced free agents, re-structure contracts to keep the core guys, and watch the guys like Walls, Herndon, Sykes, etc...blossom after this year in which the experience they gained will be invaluable.
              this is a good thread. I like the players we have now and i would rather we concentrate on signing ALL the players back that are free agents, than sign only a few of our free agents and bring in some new free agents
              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

              I tried to warn ya.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rascal
                Anyway...
                Back to the point of the thread.

                I think the defense has tremendous amounts of potential but needs to fill some areas. That being a pass rusher (it would have been nice to see what Gardener could have done) and a excellent CB.
                Thats not really the point of the thread Rascal. My point is that we have the people in place to perform the duties you are talking about. Our young corners are just that, young. If you bring in somebody now they lose their spot, lose confidence and that hurts the team. They gained a ton of experience being tossed into the fire this year and that will pay dividends for years to come. Our defensive line if kept together will become more familiar with each other and learn how each other reacts in given situations. This familiarity will allow them to adjust and open holes in the offensive line that will lead to more pressure on opposing QB's.
                Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

                It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

                Vince Lombardi

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rascal
                  Anyway...
                  Back to the point of the thread.

                  I think the defense has tremendous amounts of potential but needs to fill some areas. That being a pass rusher (it would have been nice to see what Gardener could have done) and a excellent CB.
                  If Hayward and Gardener were STARTERS alongside Pryce and Berry instead of relievers, and darius Holland and mario Fatafehi quit taking up as much time in the rotation, we would have PLENTY more sacks
                  dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

                  I tried to warn ya.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Return of Lava
                    If Hayward and Gardener were STARTERS alongside Pryce and Berry instead of relievers, and darius Holland and mario Fatafehi quit taking up as much time in the rotation, we would have PLENTY more sacks
                    Holland and Fatafehi were excellent run stoppers, which is what we also need. We have an undersized LB core and we need to have beef upfront to help counter act that. Its no secret that to run against the Broncos you have to go up the middle not side to side.

                    If Pryce and Gardener (if he plays and he plays as advertized) play DT and Berry and Hayward play like the did this year, but more consistency, then I think we are fine along the line. I just don't think Gardener will be around.

                    As far as secondary. Pikeman has a point that they gained a lot of experience, but experience can only go so far if you don't have the talent. I think Herndon is a good nickel back, but we need a better CB to compliment Walls. At safety I think we are set with Ferguson and Kennedy.
                    Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

                    You too Cutler.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This thread makes a very valid point. Most NFL teams lack consistency due to the free agent market. No team seems to be a TEAM anymore. Someone said in another thread, that some of Denver (and Im sure other teams) schemes take a couple of years to learn and a little longer to master. If you keep changing players, and even coaches, how are they ever gonna get it together?

                      I really feel we should keep as much of the team in tact as possible. Though I do believe we need to address our secondary problems and our backup QB situation, and also if Shannon leaves, of course we need to address the tight end position.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rascal
                        Holland and Fatafehi were excellent run stoppers, which is what we also need. We have an undersized LB core and we need to have beef upfront to help counter act that. Its no secret that to run against the Broncos you have to go up the middle not side to side.

                        If Pryce and Gardener (if he plays and he plays as advertized) play DT and Berry and Hayward play like the did this year, but more consistency, then I think we are fine along the line. I just don't think Gardener will be around.

                        As far as secondary. Pikeman has a point that they gained a lot of experience, but experience can only go so far if you don't have the talent. I think Herndon is a good nickel back, but we need a better CB to compliment Walls. At safety I think we are set with Ferguson and Kennedy.
                        Well we cant get rid of Gardener cause that would put a HUGE dent in our already thin wallet. I like Ferguson's play, but not at free safety, i think his height will hurt him as passes will go over the top more often. he is more of a hitting strong safety. I feel OK with Herndon as the starting CB, but i still think Oneal is more useful, i know shanny said what he said, but people have bluffed before. i know its a stretch, but we DO need to see if Oneal improved from playing WR. MOST shut down corners in the league played WR at one time in their career. He still has the most talent of any DB and still is the biggets INT threat we have. We cant afford a free agent CB right now when we have a good chance to find a late bloomer in oneal.
                        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

                        I tried to warn ya.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Return of Lava
                          I like Ferguson's play, but not at free safety, i think his height will hurt him as passes will go over the top more often.
                          What?

                          Ferguson is taller than both oneal and herndon. Shanny wouldn't have inversted four years into ferguson if he didn't plan on him starting. he is set, so if you want to improve safety then say goodbye to kenoy kennedy. And who will replace him?

                          I don't think we should get rid of Gardener, but he embarrased Shanny which is not good. If we are to improve the secondary either it will come on safety over kenoy or CB over herndon.

                          If Oneal changes his number then we know for sure that he won't be playing CB ever again as a Bronco.
                          Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

                          You too Cutler.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Kennedy has to stay at safety, he's been a team leader in tackles since he got here. He should maybe work with the receiver coaches over the off season to improve his catching ability.

                            As far as Deltha goes...I was on his case most of the year but Lava has me thinking. If he can get his act together early in the off season, talk to Shanahan, get dedicated I think him on one corner, Walls on the other side would be a potent set. Keep Herndon as the Nickel and that secondary will look awful tough.
                            Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

                            It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

                            Vince Lombardi

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rascal
                              What?

                              Ferguson is taller than both oneal and herndon. Shanny wouldn't have inversted four years into ferguson if he didn't plan on him starting. he is set, so if you want to improve safety then say goodbye to kenoy kennedy. And who will replace him?

                              I don't think we should get rid of Gardener, but he embarrased Shanny which is not good. If we are to improve the secondary either it will come on safety over kenoy or CB over herndon.

                              If Oneal changes his number then we know for sure that he won't be playing CB ever again as a Bronco.
                              just cause he signed a 4 year contract doesnt mean he is set. it just means he is on the team. i like nick, but he is not a given at FS. Hell, Madise signed a 5 year and hasnt played.
                              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

                              I tried to warn ya.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X