Commitment to win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commitment to win

Fans, I'm seriously questioning the players commitment to win. At what point are the players on our team more concerned with their own well being than the success of the teams? It seems to me that too many Broncos care less about the performance of the team than they do about themselves. I live and die with the Broncos, but I have to admit, if they don't care about losing in the playoffs, why should we?
    "I don't like to make anyone feel left out, so I adopted all of our cheerleaders!!!"

we arent commited otherwise we would have won by now, and we wouldn't have all these problems on defence

Comment

Re: Commitment to win

Originally posted by al_wilson_fan
      Fans, I'm seriously questioning the players commitment to win. At what point are the players on our team more concerned with their own well being than the success of the teams? It seems to me that too many Broncos care less about the performance of the team than they do about themselves. I live and die with the Broncos, but I have to admit, if they don't care about losing in the playoffs, why should we?
      Although i do agree w/ you in some aspects. Alot of players have heart. Who knows why denver blew the playoff game against Indy, we will never know, but one thing i do agree w/ you on, is that football is no longer a sport, at least to the players and the owners, its a buisiness. Nowadays its impossible to keep one (future hall of fame) player on the team for the rest of his career (unless he gets paid an ungodly amount of $$). But i do think that some players do have winning in mind and have heart for the game, and as long as they beleive, i beleive.

Comment

I have a somewhat similiar sentiment about their reactions to and reasoning for the loss. Most players and coaches said stuff like, I am so embarrassed, humilated etc etc. I cant believe we played like that, yada yada.

Well WHY DIDNT YOU NOT PLAY LIKE THAT????

Were you not at the game, did you not suit up, did you not step onto the field? I mean get real.........WE as fans should be embarrassed, you guys should have SOME explanation as to your performance.

Your reasoning for it, al, is as good as, if not better than, any that the Broncos have come up with.

Comment

I just would really like to know what Coyer and Shanny were expecting when they call that kind of cover 2
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm glad others are on the same page as I am. I was one of the fans fighting away tears and turning the game off at halftime. It just hit me later that so many of us fans care more about the success of the Broncos than most of the players do.
            "I don't like to make anyone feel left out, so I adopted all of our cheerleaders!!!"

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm glad others are on the same page as I am. I was one of the fans fighting away tears and turning the game off at halftime. It just hit me later that so many of us fans care more about the success of the Broncos than most of the players do.
              From seeing some of the players on the sideline during the game, you could really tell who cared and who didnt.

Comment

It just hit me later that so many of us fans care more about the success of the Broncos than most of the players do.
                I too was hurt, embarassed, disappointed, etc with what I witnessed on Sunday. I do however think that more of the players care than you think. It's a business and yada yada but at the end of a career it's always about championships, I don't care what sport you play. Since no one else is making excuses for them I will; they came out flat, they showed no emotion and displayed no smarts. By the time they reacted to what was happening they were in a huge hole and Indy was in an incredible rhythm. Sometimes humans, even pro athletes have off days, I as a fan would just prefer that they happened in week 2 and not the playoffs. Once a team has dug themselves down deep enough there is no coming back, and Indy had serious momentum on their side.

That being said, it still doesn't explain Coyers defensive game plan, that I have no excuses for.
                Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

I wouldnt say they had no emotion or didnt care or commit, i think its just more like a bad game plan on defense and bad execution on offense. I know the team was pumped, but there really was nothing they could do with the calls they were given. Of course they WANTED to win, and were commited, but things just didnt fall thier way. The other team wants the win just as bad as we do, and the colts got it that day. We have blown many teams out numerous times and it feels good, but we dont notice the fans on the other side feeling like ****. This time it was just on us thats all.
                  dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Sounds to me like you guys are laying to much blame on the coaching staff here, I'm not saying that the defensive scheme was great, obviously not, but the defence had a weak of practicing that gameplan, watching film, etc. Plain and simple the players didn't execute. Do you want to tell me that Coyer told Lenny Walls to not bump Harrison off the line, C'mon even when he was dropping into zone I saw 3-4 times when he still had the chance to jam him at the line and he didn't.

I'm off topic now, the previous posts stated that the players don't care and I beg to differ with that view. Even if you care you can still have an off day and Sunday was like the proverbial snowball rolling downhill.
                    Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

It's a good point Lava. With that gameplan, there's no way we could've won. I do think that at various positions, mainly the offensive and defensive line, the scheme boils down to you outplaying the man right across the line. That is just physical talent and heart. We know the physical talent is there, as we displayed in our first meeting with the Colts, but the heart wasn't. I don't think it would've changed the outcome, but a little more pressure on Manning, and better run and pass blocking would have been a start.

Comment

Originally posted by pikman
                        Sounds to me like you guys are laying to much blame on the coaching staff here, I'm not saying that the defensive scheme was great, obviously not, but the defence had a weak of practicing that gameplan, watching film, etc. Plain and simple the players didn't execute. Do you want to tell me that Coyer told Lenny Walls to not bump Harrison off the line, C'mon even when he was dropping into zone I saw 3-4 times when he still had the chance to jam him at the line and he didn't.

I'm off topic now, the previous posts stated that the players don't care and I beg to differ with that view. Even if you care you can still have an off day and Sunday was like the proverbial snowball rolling downhill.
                        I remember for the week heading up toi the game, Herndon was saying that his cast on his hand would not affect him in his man coverage. they were practicing man all week i think, cause thats how they shut down manning in week 16. During the game, when Stokely got past Herndon easily for the TD, it was obvious Herndon needed his had for man coverage. Shanny said after the game they had to switch to zone because herndon was struggling with his man. As far as Lenny Walls, i dont think Coyer ever said to jam because a player cant forget to jam after every play call. Coyer had, as you say, 3-4 chances to remind the CB's to jam while he put in the play.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by pikman
                          Even if you care you can still have an off day and Sunday was like the proverbial snowball rolling downhill.
                          Does anyone remember the AFC Championship game against Buffalo Bills w/ Elway? We had that game wrapped up and then in the fourth we had a BAD day!!! Broncos allowed 21 points in something like 90 seconds or less and lost by less than 10 or 14.

Comment

Originally posted by bcollin1
                            Pathetic.

Let me ask you a rhetorical question:
                            You say that you had to fight back the tears because the Broncos lost, right? And you say that to point out that YOU apparently care more about their jobs than they do, right?

Well, riddle me this:
                            When was the last time you fought back tears because you didn't have complete success at YOUR job??

Those guys are there at practice every day. They work their asses off, and many of them do it when it's not even the season.

Is it rewarding enough to merit them doing that?
                            Sure, they get P-A-I-D. I get that.
                            But they do this because it's fun, and it's the best way they know to provide for themselves and their families. It's a job.

But don't question their loyalties to THEIR jobs until you have that much loyalty to yours.
                            Bad example Cliff...

I won't speak for Al, but as for myself. Whether during my time IN the Corps or now just working for them... I take my job seriously and do it to the best of my ability. I won't say my job is more important than anyone elses, but I do feel that if my job isn't done correctly... my fellow Marines lives are in jeapordy.

That being said, had I been a player, I'm not certain I woulda cried at the game's outcome... but I damn sure woulda showed a bit more emotion than they did on the side line that day.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                            ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

I am glad they didnt erupt and get angry at each other after their first blunder. That meant that they really do play for each other. I know they were sad about it, but it was nice they didnt break down, but accepted it and immediately concentrated on moving forward. i feel like that loss hurts now, but in the long run, it will help cause that young team now knows that a higher level of focus is needed to succeed in the playoffs.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X