Sporting News' top veteran WR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top vet WR's

If that list is rating the players on last years stats then Steve Smith wouldn't be so high.

by Snk16

Snk16 Thanks Playa

My kids name is Karl Paymah, so if you have a problem with him you come and talk to me!

Comment

Top WR's

My opinion I think Darrell Jackson shouldn't be higher than Ashley with all the passes he managed to drop unless he was able to accumalate a vast amount with the one he caught unless I have him mixed up with the rest of the team.

by Snk16

Snk16 Thanks Playa

My kids name is Karl Paymah, so if you have a problem with him you come and talk to me!

Comment

The list isn't just based on last years stats. Like with the rating system I posted that they use, these ratings are just based on how good a WR is. Basically, it's a rating of how valuable they will be to their team this year and how good of a season they will have.
        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
          Let's also look at career stats.

RS - 712 rec / 9772 yards / 13.7 avg / 59 TD

EK - 414 rec / 6282 yards / 15.2 avg / 32 TD

Eddie couldn't carry Rod's jock.

Eddiie who? Seriously though I thought Kennison would be out of the league by now. The Guy is not consistent does not regularly make spectacular plays is a pretty decent blocker but that is not enough to warrant him staying in the league as long as he has. The Chiefs failed to score 30 points with him in the game 6 times (He missed 2 games). Although he was a big part of the Chiefs 4 game run at the end of last year before being shutdown by a host of backups in the last week and also not being able to consistently get open and catch the ball against the Raiders in KC. I would take Rod Smith and Keenan McCardell over Kennison because their hands are better their routes are crisper and their ability to come down with the ball regardless of coverage makes them significantly better. A toe scraper in the back of the end zone is reaching to the furthest limits of kennisons ability McKardell makes sideline and endzone edge catches look routine. Not to mention with kennison the turnovers incompletions and catches that should have been routine turned into adventures because of his lackluster route running. He will jump up every now and then and sacrifice himself over the middle but he is a veteran that gets far too much credit. Especially by this listing.
          Where is Marc Boerigter for the Chiefs I know he was placed on IR last season how is he coming along?? He looked like he would be a beast and put kennison on the bench and eventually in the streets where he belongs.
          Last edited by super_boltz; 08-06-2005, 05:44 AM.
          2016 AFC WEST CHAMPIONS: STATED WEEK 7 SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS

Comment

Eddie Kennison isn't any good. He seems to do better when playing for Vermeil..but thats the ONLY place in the league he has had success. He has played for 5 teams, and failed at all except for Vermeil teams. He just isnt' smart enough or talented enough to play in another offense.

Eddie is a quitter. He's a loser. He's a player I would NEVER want as a teammate, and I'm glad the Chiefs are relying on him. There is absolutely NOOOO way he is in the top 21 in the league at WR. Thats just absolutely ridiculous of this person to grade him so high. My bet is, he has never really watched Eddie play... only read the stats. Or didn't really care who he put in the list after #15.

Comment

Originally posted by super_boltz
              Eddiie who? Seriously though I thought Kennison would be out of the league by now. The Guy is not consistent does not regularly make spectacular plays is a pretty decent blocker but that is not enough to warrant him staying in the league as long as he has. The Chiefs failed to score 30 points with him in the game 6 times (He missed 2 games). Although he was a big part of the Chiefs 4 game run at the end of last year before being shutdown by a host of backups in the last week and also not being able to consistently get open and catch the ball against the Raiders in KC. I would take Rod Smith and Keenan McCardell over Kennison because their hands are better their routes are crisper and their ability to come down with the ball regardless of coverage makes them significantly better. A toe scraper in the back of the end zone is reaching to the furthest limits of kennisons ability McKardell makes sideline and endzone edge catches look routine. Not to mention with kennison the turnovers incompletions and catches that should have been routine turned into adventures because of his lackluster route running. He will jump up every now and then and sacrifice himself over the middle but he is a veteran that gets far too much credit. Especially by this listing.
              Where is Marc Boerigter for the Chiefs I know he was placed on IR last season how is he coming along?? He looked like he would be a beast and put kennison on the bench and eventually in the streets where he belongs.
              Boerigter had two good games 3 years ago. Thats it. He came out and had some big long catches for the Chiefs.. then failed the year after.. flopping big time. Last year's injury is probably the only thing that kept him on the roster THIS year.
              Last edited by Ravage!!!; 08-06-2005, 06:57 AM.

Comment

kennison doesnt come close to porter, jimmy smith, mccardel,l smith, derrick mason or mushin muhammed. I think some retarded raider fan made this because they included Ronald curry on this list. If I remember correctly curry dropped a ball in the 4th qtr wide open in stride against the Chargers that would have made things very hard on the Chargers very late in the game. As it went the faiders got shut down and the Chargers win. Curry has a way to go b4 he even comes close to breaking this list.

Comment

Much of this outside evaluation comes from viewing Rod Smith's chronological age and surmising how he should produce accordingly, IMO. For some people, this is just not true, such as in the case of Smith and Jerry Rice, of course. According to some of the players who know him, Smith has not yet lost that step, which he backed with 80- and 85-yard receptions last year.

One can look at the numbers of a Kennison, but one can look at the attitude, too. Rod Smith is a winner. That is why he could hold up two rings in Kennison's face and shut up Kennison's smack-talking mouth. Smith is not only (still) superior to Kennison; he is way superior. In fact, he is superior to half the people listed here.

Regarding Lelie, the assessment may be about right at the moment, although I would rather have him than two Kennisons. However, from reports about Lelie's marked improvement in his short game, I expect a dramatic climb up that ladder this year. When the year comes to a close, I believe Lelie will belong in the top five, and Watts will appear somewhere on the list.

IMHO.

-----

Comment

Watts is just a hopeful talented young WR just like many other teams have. We can't fully expect these guys to be top 5 wideouts but just hope. If Lelie has indeed dramatically improved his short game he can be like a young Jerry Rice... granted his route running becomes excellent and machine like. I just think Lelie will never really come around in the short game because of the strides he takes. He already had a thousand yard 7 td season with a high avg on his yards per catch. I think it would be better for Lelie to expand on his strengths and try to consistently hit 1400 yards receiving and 11 touchdowns. Not saying he will every year but if he can up his strengths a bit he can be a pro bowl player.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      Much of this outside evaluation comes from viewing Rod Smith's chronological age and surmising how he should produce accordingly, IMO. For some people, this is just not true, such as in the case of Smith and Jerry Rice, of course. According to some of the players who know him, Smith has not yet lost that step, which he backed with 80- and 85-yard receptions last year.

One can look at the numbers of a Kennison, but one can look at the attitude, too. Rod Smith is a winner. That is why he could hold up two rings in Kennison's face and shut up Kennison's smack-talking mouth. Smith is not only (still) superior to Kennison; he is way superior. In fact, he is superior to half the people listed here.

Regarding Lelie, the assessment may be about right at the moment, although I would rather have him than two Kennisons. However, from reports about Lelie's marked improvement in his short game, I expect a dramatic climb up that ladder this year. When the year comes to a close, I believe Lelie will belong in the top five, and Watts will appear somewhere on the list.

IMHO.

-----

I used to work as an usher at quallcomm and had to be at the stadium at 8 in the morning on gameday to make sure all the seats were in working order in my section etc.... the great thing about it was I got to see alot of great players warm up... Jr. Seau of course being my favorite. Anyways the 49ers were in town and I watched Jerry Rice warm up for over half an hour. The man obviously has been extremely well trained in the art of running. He ran several sprints and routes all of which looked like he was gliding almost effortlessly while moving at a ridiculous pace down the field. The man is just so crisp and precise with all of his movements that for the avg corner coming up in todays NFL the only chance he really has at blanketing Jerry rice is their raw ability. Because to me it seems like Jerry Rice can out technique any corner in the league and get open. His losses in step nowadays though may make it so that the young guys can keep up with him and hurt him at the line. But the Jerry Rice I saw that day looked like a hall of fame player regardless of what position he played simply by the way he prepared.

Comment

The whole list is crap. Plaxico Burress and L. Coles are not in the top 10. David Givens is way too high also. Javon Walker, Rod Smith, and quite a few others are too low.
                        Damien Nash & Darrent Williams Forever Broncos.

"He's such a pro. He's been everything you'd ever want as a player and then some." Mike Shanahan on Rod Smith

Created by Snk16. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                          1. Randy Moss, Raiders
                          2. Torry Holt, Rams
                          3. Marvin Harrison, Colts
                          4. Chad Johnson, Bengals
                          5. Terrell Owens, Eagles
                          6. Hines Ward, Steelers
                          7. Plaxico Burress, Giants
                          8. Lavaranues Coles, Jets
                          9. Andre Johnson, Texans
                          10. Steve Smith, Panthers
                          11. David Givens, Patriots
                          12. Isaac Bruce, Rams
                          13. Donald Driver, Packers
                          14. Deion Branch, Patriots
                          15. Chris Chambers, Dolphins
                          16. Michael Clayton, Buccaneers
                          17. Reggie Wayne, Colts
                          18. Javon Walker, Packers
                          19. Joe Horn, Saints
                          20. Eric Moulds, Bills
                          21. Eddie Kennison, Chiefs
                          22. Derrick Mason, Ravens
                          23. Jerry Porter, Raiders
                          24. Rod Smith, Broncos
                          25. Roy Williams, Lions
                          26. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
                          27. Mushin Muhammad, Bears
                          28. Lee Evans, Bills
                          29. Brandon Stokley, Colts
                          30. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
                          31. Nate Burleson, Vikings
                          32. Anquan Boldin, Cardinals
                          33. Darrell Jackson, Seahawks
                          34. Drew Bennett, Titans
                          35. Robert Ferguson, Packers
                          36. Santan Moss, Redskins
                          37. Antonio Bryant, Browns
                          38. Keenan McCardell, Chargers
                          39. Jimmy Smith, Jaguars
                          40. Johnnie Morton, 49ers
                          41. Ashley Lelie, Broncos
                          42. Ronald Curry, raiders

Plaxico and L. Coles in the top ten! LOL Moulds, Driver and Eddie "I quit" Kennison ahead of Rod.
                          The three Keys to football
                          1. Turnovers
                          2. Field Position
                          3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Javon Walker at #19? Riiiiiiiggghhhhht, just your average Pro Bowl receiver...
                            My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Originally posted by bigbones1
                              One of the biggest problems I see with that list is Jimmy Smith being so low.
                              Especially below the likes of Antonio Bryant, Robert Ferguson and Larry Fitzgerald.
                              My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Eddie Quitison doesnt deserve to be on that list simply due to his lack of character.

You dont quit a team when you have your chance to be the go to guy and deserve to be ranked in the top 10000. (I may be a bit bitter)

Comment

Working...
                                X