Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BVP: 4 0; Jake 0 1

I guess I don't know football...

The first game of the season was virtually over with for the Broncos with about 9 minutes left to go into the 4th quarter. With nothing to lose, why not bring in a fresh backup quarterback to relieve a struggling Plummer?

Is it written into the starting QB's contract, "thou shall not take him out of the game unless in the event of major injury?"

Mike (are you listening?), I just don't get it.
    Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Originally posted by buckland

The first game of the season was virtually over with for the Broncos with about 9 minutes left to go into the 4th quarter. With nothing to lose, why not bring in a fresh backup quarterback to relieve a struggling Plummer?
    I share your frustration with today's game, and Jake definitely has to take some of the blame, but that was probably the worst all-around team effort I've seen in a while. Bad OL play will make even a great QB look like crap if he's running scared the whole game. Couple that with no run support to speak of, and a continuance of our field position woes, and you have a recipe for disaster. If one phase sucks, a good team can play past it, if all three stink it up you WILL NOT WIN.
    Kicking around, on a piece of ground, in your hometown;
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

- Roger Waters

Comment

BVP 0-0 Jake 19-9

If memory serves right I think Plummer is 19-8 as a starter for the Broncos. Well - 19-9 now. So the real argument should be who would you prefer?

BVP 0-0

or

Plummer 19-9
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

With nothing to lose, why not bring in a fresh backup quarterback to relieve a struggling Plummer?

I think we should give the whole team a second chance as we have a HUGE two game home stand against division rivals. Let's see how the team as a whole handles that challenge before we start calling for replacements.

- Roger Waters

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
          If memory serves right I think Plummer is 19-8 as a starter for the Broncos. Well - 19-9 now. So the real argument should be who would you prefer?

BVP 0-0

or

Plummer 19-9

BVP could do no worse than the starter, so what was there to be lost????

Comment

I have been waiting for the customary lets bring in the non-experienced fan favorite, so we have less of a chance of winning. Goodness.
            RIP D-Will

Comment

The problem with this is that there is a real fine line between relieving an embattled player and creating a position controversy. In Jake's case, he is always hounded by critics, and performances like this will never help, but if you want to show the team and the fans that you stand behind him, you have to leave him in. It would be one thing if BVP was Phillip Rivers, but he isn't, and likely will never be more than a backup, so why stir the pot with a tool you never intend to use? It will only draw more clouds to this team that has enough questions to answer. As sound of a principle as relieving a struggling player seems, I think it would be the wrong call in this particualr instance. The team has to show it stands behind Plummer, regardless of what you or I think. Basically, we have no other choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PR-Broncomaniac
                what was there to be lost????

How about two huge games if BVP plays like a 'kid'. He needs to stop acting like one and referring to himself as one before I would feel comfortable handing over the reins. KC and SD are huge must win games, at home. Give JP another shot and if he screws those two up we can talk about canning him.

- Roger Waters

Comment

Originally posted by x_predator89
                  I have been waiting for the customary lets bring in the non-experienced fan favorite, so we have less of a chance of winning. Goodness.

LOL

I've seen Jake play magnificently in both the regular season AND the playoffs, as well as playing well below his potential at times. BVP has potential but no real experience where it counts.

- Roger Waters

Comment

Is it written into the starting QB's contract, "thou shall not take him out of the game unless in the event of major injury?"

Mike (are you listening?), I just don't get it.
                    While I see where you are coming from, I think there is more that plays into it. If you're Mike Shanahan:
                    A.) Do you really want to bring in someone in virtually their first yr with absolutely no regular season NFL experience in an environment with virtually nothing to win. That defense was tough for all of the 1st stringers, and with the O-line struggling it would have been like throwing him to the wolves....
                    And B.) There is also a mental aspect that plays into it. He could risk hurting Plummer's confidence and creating a controversy in the media, which isn't necessarily what you need in week 1. That being said, it is still week one and there's no need to abandon ship that early on someone who they've invested so much in.... But I can assure you that if Plummer continues his antics with the INT's and mediocrity Shanny won't go down with the ship, he'll shake some things up. (At least I hope)

Comment

Originally posted by PR-Broncomaniac

BVP could do no worse than the starter, so what was there to be lost????
                      How about the entire season?

As I said in another post, it is very bad to bring in replacements when you are losing. Winning yes, losing no.

As a coach, you want the regular guys out there to stay in and fight through the adversity. Brings them closer together, helps forge them. Also, you leave them in there with the hopes that they can end up producing something possitive out of the game, even when there is a loss.

You bring in replacements all you are telling your teamates is you will quit on them when the going is rough, and you have no confedence in them, slightest adversity and you will yank them. That happens and you might as well mail in your season, its over.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan

BVP 0-0

or

Plummer 19-9
                        AMEN
                        SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jubei
                          How about two huge games if BVP plays like a 'kid'. He needs to stop acting like one and referring to himself as one before I would feel comfortable handing over the reins. KC and SD are huge must win games, at home. Give JP another shot and if he screws those two up we can talk about canning him.

How would letting the backup play out the last of the game impacted the NEXT two games at all?

I made a thread about this during the third quarter. The OTHER reason to having a backup QB is to relieve the starter when he's having a bad day. And Jake was having a BAD DAY, there's no denying that!!

Everyone assumed I meant put in BVP on a premanent basis, when I explicitly said it was just for the game, AND I also said I would have said the same thing regardless of who the backup was. it has nothing to do with BVP, but just the fact the Jake wasnt getting it done, TODAY.

Same thing with this thread. Who said anythng about CANNING Jake?

Would it really have made things any worse than what they were? I dont see how.

After the few people responded with "He'll throw Ints" (which BVP has yet to do)and other stuff, I asked if they were happy with what was happening. Did they really LIKE what they were watching?

Nobody responded to that!

Sometimes a little change is good when everything is collapsing around you. I'm not saying BVP would have saved the day, but we will never know that, will we?

Forget giving BVP experience. I was just hoping for a change to possibly make a spark, when we really needed one at the time..........

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn

How would letting the backup play out the last of the game impacted the NEXT two games at all?

I made a thread about this during the third quarter. The OTHER reason to having a backup QB is to relieve the starter when he's having a bad day. And Jake was having a BAD DAY, there's no denying that!!

Everyone assumed I meant put in BVP on a premanent basis, when I explicitly said it was just for the game, AND I also said I would have said the same thing regardless of who the backup was. it has nothing to do with BVP, but just the fact the Jake wasnt getting it done, TODAY.

Same thing with this thread. Who said anythng about CANNING Jake?

Would it really have made things any worse than what they were? I dont see how.

After the few people responded with "He'll throw Ints" (which BVP has yet to do)and other stuff, I asked if they were happy with what was happening. Did they really LIKE what they were watching?

Nobody responded to that!

Sometimes a little change is good when everything is collapsing around you. I'm not saying BVP would have saved the day, but we will never know that, will we?

Forget giving BVP experience. I was just hoping for a change to possibly make a spark, when we really needed one at the time..........

Just to clarify: I was responding to a post by PR-Broncomaniac about yanking Plummer right now to make BVP the starter. As far as I can tell, we are in agreement. Perhaps my post was too vague?

- Roger Waters

Comment

Because as I said, you cant give your players the impression you will be yanking them out everytime they falter. You want them to feel you have confedience in thier abilities when the going gets rough. You quit on them, they will quit on you, and you dont want that.

Comment

Working...
                              X