What's your definition of being a "fan?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your definition of being a "fan?"

Another thread had various opinions being voiced about what constitutes being a "real" fan. So, I thought it would be interesting to see what Broncomania at large thought about it.

According to Merriam-Webster:
    Main Entry: fan
    Function: noun
    Etymology: probably short for fanatic
    1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
    2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)
    Nowhere does the definition of "fan" indicate that you can't be criticial of the object of your fandom. You can still be passionate about the Broncos and critical of the team at the same time. It doesn't mean you love them any less; it just means you are aware of deficiencies and are passionate about them being fixed.

God knows that I get irritated at some of the super-negative posts I read here. Some of those people might be so angry all of the time that they have probably stopped being fans and don't realize it (i.e. if you're inwardly pulling for the Broncos to lose to justify your complaints). But others still pull for the Broncos every Sunday even if they aren't satisfied with the state of the team. They are still fans even when they express their dissatisfaction.

I don't enjoy the excessive negativity after a loss like last Sunday. But I understand that human nature will cause some people to have a greater negative reaction than others. Just because others on this forum do not react in the same manner as me (staying hopeful and optimistic) does not mean that I'm right and they're wrong. That kind of thinking is very egocentric and close-minded; everybody has the right to react as they see fit.

So, to all our "half glass empty" Broncomaniacs out there, play nice but complain all you want. I might argue with you but it doesn't mean I think you're not a fan.
    1) Fans pull for their team and never think or act negatively about them
    10.00%
    2) Fans pull for their team but express concern when there are struggles
    74.00%
    3) Fans pull for their team but express their ire when there are struggles
    16.00%
    4) Fans cheer for their team only when they play well and deserve their support
    0.00%
    5) Fans cheer for whatever team looks good so they can enjoy the sport all season
    0.00%
    Last edited by Javalon; 09-16-2005, 03:02 PM.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Originally posted by Javalon
    Another thread had various opinions being voiced about what constitutes being a "real" fan. So, I thought it would be interesting to see what Broncomania at large thought about it.

Nowhere does the definition of "fan" indicate that you can't be criticial of the object of your fandom. You can still be passionate about the Broncos and critical of the team at the same time. It doesn't mean you love them any less; it just means you are aware of deficiencies and are passionate about them being fixed.

God knows that I get irritated at some of the super-negative posts I read here. Some of those people might be so angry all of the time that they have probably stopped being fans and don't realize it (i.e. if you're inwardly pulling for the Broncos to lose to justify your complaints). But others still pull for the Broncos every Sunday even if they aren't satisfied with the state of the team. They are still fans even when they express their dissatisfaction.

I don't enjoy the excessive negativity after a loss like last Sunday. But I understand that human nature will cause some people to have a greater negative reaction than others. Just because others on this forum do not react in the same manner as me (staying hopeful and optimistic) does not mean that I'm right and they're wrong. That kind of thinking is very egocentric and close-minded; everybody has the right to react as they see fit.

So, to all our "half glass empty" Broncomaniacs out there, play nice but complain all you want. I might argue with you but it doesn't mean I think you're not a fan.
    Bravo, Bravo!! Someone finally gets it.
    sigpic

Comment

i imagine 2 would be the closest,i will always love the broncos no matter how tthey do in games,but if i cant see theres a problem then im not being intelligant
      SPORT IS LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY,...IF YOU DONT FOCUS,YOU JUST GET NEGATIVES

Born-1990
      Got ipod- 2004

Oh! this one time i saw a blimp!

Comment

Originally posted by alan
        i imagine 2 would be the closest,i will always love the broncos no matter how tthey do in games,but if i cant see theres a problem then im not being intelligant
        I went with 2 also.

Comment

great interpretation Jav!

Comment

#2 for me also Jav!

Great post!!

And a pretty good thread too!

Comment

Voted for 2

It's the closest to what I do........somewhere in that neighborhood.
              Emancipate your mind!
              The People's Poster

Comment

Definitely option #2 for me. It's like a said in another thread, if some of the fans on here sound like their criticizing the Broncos at times it's mostly due in part to their passion for the team, nothing else. They only want to see the Broncos play well and win games and when you hold your team up to a certain level (like we all have since the Elway era) then anything short of the playoffs seems unacceptable to us. I supposed we have been spoiled with mainly winning seasons for the last 10 years, and an array of great, probowl caliber players, but that just proves our passion for this team. You take the wins and the losses and you NEVER stop rooting for your team. That's my take on being a legit fan.

Comment

Some of those people might be so angry all of the time that they have probably stopped being fans and don't realize it (i.e. if you're inwardly pulling for the Broncos to lose to justify your complaints).
                  yep. another point is that it is possible to express concern or ire like a fan, and possible to express it like a moron. for example, while i'm a plummer supporter, i don't mind people pointing out his many faults. i don't like it when they just insult him just to insult him, kind of like what you said above: they aren't interested in analyzing him, just proving him to be a failure because they want him to be. i guess i'm just repeating your point really.

i went with number 3. whether it's "concern" or "ire" depends on how bad the problems are.
                  sigpic
                  go broncos
                  share the sidewalk
                  liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

I'm as big a fan of the broncos as you'll find but I don't think they'll win the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan, it just means I'm realistic.

... though if they do I'll dance for joy.

Comment

I'm just curious on how many of the "glass half full" fans would be here in December if we did go 1-15...god forbid. Many of us that were ripping on the Broncos for their performance agains the Phins last weekend were arguing more on the GAME than the SEASON.

Just like I heard Dan Reeves say in an interview today on ESPN Classic. If they are 0-3 or 0-4 then there might be area of concern.

Comment

I don't mind people talking about our problems or being frustrated, but what I can't stand is the trashing of players during the games. The job of the fan is to fire up your team not cool them off.

If you think that someone isn't cutting it you can say so, but you sound more reasonable if you do so in a manner that doesn't sound like you had one too many.
                        "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Hanging in through thick and thin

Fans are those who hang their emotion on their sleeves, and will support the team through the good times and the bad. This brings to the fore the "cause for concern" aspect of option 2. Being a Bronco fan is much easier than it used to be. We now have an owner who is willing to pony-up (no pun intended, or not) for quality players and coaches. In Arizona a Cardinal fan has to put up with the Bidwell family who are only interested in the bottom line and not winning. In San Diego the Spanos family is of a similar ilk, although they do seem to win on occasion. Then there Al Davis...with him it is certainly trying to be a "true" Raider fan, as opposed to some thug wearing silver and black.

Players need to understand when they perform poorly it's the fans watching on TV and us season ticket holders, who fork over hard earned cash for the priviledge, who have their pride hurt and are faced with ridicule from friends and coworkers. Players only have to face the wrath of Shannahan. This past Monday I was put in a foursome with some clown wearing a Chiefs hat. I wasn't a happy camper. I hope I play with that guy again, after we pound the Chiefs at Mile High. Which reminds me only real Bronco fans refer to the home stadium as Mile High, not the corperate monicker.
                          As the world changes rational people will change with it. Only the zealots, and fundamentalists resist change. God save us from them.

Comment

I like to think of myself as a "true fan" based on the fact that I've hung tough with the Broncos for 21 years and counting and I'm not going anywhere. Sure, I get irritated and worried about our play and I even bash players for their performance from time to time (some more than others), but, I only do it here, with other Bronco fans. I never voice my displeasure with the team to non-fans or "outsiders". Here on this board we're kinda like a family, and I like to keep our problems "in the family".

I'm sure I've upset many other fans with my negative posts on some of our players and coaches lately, but that's what families do - we disagree, sometimes heatedly, then we make up and all put on our game faces on Sunday. I don't think I've ever accused anyone on the board of not being a true fan, although sometimes I get accused of it myself because I can be a touch negative at times. The way I see it, if you took the time to create an account, pick/create an avatar, type in a title, type/create a sig (and there are some great ones on this board), and plink away on the keyboard for hours agreeing and disagreeing with each other, YOU ARE A TRUE FAN IN MY BOOK! I personally, am very happy to be a part of this board - a part of this family. Cheers to all my true fans out there!

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                              I like to think of myself as a "true fan" based on the fact that I've hung tough with the Broncos for 21 years and counting and I'm not going anywhere. Sure, I get irritated and worried about our play and I even bash players for their performance from time to time (some more than others), but, I only do it here, with other Bronco fans. I never voice my displeasure with the team to non-fans or "outsiders". Here on this board we're kinda like a family, and I like to keep our problems "in the family".

I'm sure I've upset many other fans with my negative posts on some of our players and coaches lately, but that's what families do - we disagree, sometimes heatedly, then we make up and all put on our game faces on Sunday. I don't think I've ever accused anyone on the board of not being a true fan, although sometimes I get accused of it myself because I can be a touch negative at times. The way I see it, if you took the time to create an account, pick/create an avatar, type in a title, type/create a sig (and there are some great ones on this board), and plink away on the keyboard for hours agreeing and disagreeing with each other, YOU ARE A TRUE FAN IN MY BOOK! I personally, am very happy to be a part of this board - a part of this family. Cheers to all my true fans out there!
                              Well said HP56

Comment

Working...
                              X