Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Chargers run the ball toward Champ's side of the field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by Elway=Goat
    Peyton Manning avoided him last year.
    I really like Bailey but let's be fair. Why would Manning even bother throwing at Champ when Wayne was matched up against our undrafted rookie that shouldn't even have been playing if not for our loss of Walls and Middlebrooks earlier in the season?

Leave a comment:

• MileHighStud
    replied
    Originally posted by broncofan303
    Defintely, if Bailey is out, their is no question that you would run to his side...but keep in mind Bailey's backup is Darrent Williams..he's not to shabby of a tackler for a 5' 8" corner...
    AMEN!!! Darrent is a tight performing CB!!! If they are smart they wont try running it in that direction with "either or" playing that side. Those boys are dangerous!!!

Leave a comment:

• Elway=Goat
    replied
    Originally posted by spikerman
    Yep, and they all say the same thing: Champ Bailey is one of the best cornerbacks in the league. Yep, can't argue with them, but all I'm saying is that I don't think that offensive coordinators go into a game thinking that they have to stay away from him. There have been cornerbacks in history that have been regarded in that way, and I think that Bailey used to be thought of like that. I just don't think that's the case any more.

I think everybody here defending Champ thinks I'm out to insult him...... I'm not. I just don't think he strikes any fear into an opposing offense. IMHO I think he went to to Pro Bowl last year based on reputation. Maybe it's the scheme, maybe it's adjusting to a new city, maybe it's any myriad of reasons, but from what I've seen since he's been in Denver, whether he's in there or not doesn't have much of an effect on the overall outcome of the game.

Peyton Manning avoided him last year.

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    Yeah they will run to his side.

But not because he is there. He still will be our leading tackler. He still going to make his tackles. They just won't be Lynch blows, just make the tackle.

Leave a comment:

• Reidman
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    Will the Chargers run the ball toward Champ's side of the field? Because I sure would.

Champ is normally excellent in run support and I have a feeling that he'll have a hard time not going all out when tackling a running back. If San Diego is smart they'll run his way a lot because a couple good pops could take him out of the game.

I love having Bailey on the Broncos but I'm not sure it's smart to play him so soon after dislocating his shoulder. I would imagine that the chances are pretty decent that he'll reinjure the shoulder and make things worse.

What do you think? Is Champ's heart too big for his own good? Should the coaches refuse to let him play? Or is this game too important to not risk possibly reinjuring Champ? Will the Chargers try to run the ball more in his direction?
    I totally agree with you. I don't think it's a good idea to have him play this game regardless if we need him or not. You can bet the Chargers will target him early and often and test that shoulder and I cringe at the thought of losing him for an extensive amount of time. They need to save him for the crucial part of the season down the stretch if and when were playing for a playoff spot. At the very least sit him for this one. That being said, we might get to see a lot more of Darrent Williams if Bailey plays in this game.

Leave a comment:

• spikerman
    replied
    Originally posted by rcsodak
    Exactly, jav....
    Who would totally avoid their #1 wr for the entire game? Talk about handicapping your offensive chances!
    Teams do not go at Champ any more than they do at McCallister, Woodson, etc......it's called playing the averages. Not every play is designed for the #1 wr, or the #2 wr, etc......but when they are, or there's a glimmer of space, they'll most likely try to hit it.

Spike, to say that other teams don't worry about Champ is simply being incredulous to the game. I'll listen to opposing qb's, O coordinators and head coaches myself......

Yep, and they all say the same thing: Champ Bailey is one of the best cornerbacks in the league. Yep, can't argue with them, but all I'm saying is that I don't think that offensive coordinators go into a game thinking that they have to stay away from him. There have been cornerbacks in history that have been regarded in that way, and I think that Bailey used to be thought of like that. I just don't think that's the case any more.

I think everybody here defending Champ thinks I'm out to insult him...... I'm not. I just don't think he strikes any fear into an opposing offense. IMHO I think he went to to Pro Bowl last year based on reputation. Maybe it's the scheme, maybe it's adjusting to a new city, maybe it's any myriad of reasons, but from what I've seen since he's been in Denver, whether he's in there or not doesn't have much of an effect on the overall outcome of the game.

Leave a comment:

• welderhead
    replied
    run to Baily's side?

Well, if the Chargers offense has the ball for 45 minutes then they'll certainly work Champ's side if only out of sheer boredom. Shanny better have the west coast offense clicking early to keep the ball out of LT's hands because we all saw last week just how well a nickle and dime offense works when you're behind and the defense is exhausted. Champ can not be on the field that long with that injury.

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    I don't know if there's a cornerback in the game today that "scares" the offenses, especially since they put that "point of emphasis" on illegal contact starting last year.

The best cornerbacks will be covering the opposing teams' best receivers. Offenses aren't going to want to avoid their best receivers, especially since the odds have been increased in the receivers' favor.
    Exactly, jav....
    Who would totally avoid their #1 wr for the entire game? Talk about handicapping your offensive chances!
    Teams do not go at Champ any more than they do at McCallister, Woodson, etc......it's called playing the averages. Not every play is designed for the #1 wr, or the #2 wr, etc......but when they are, or there's a glimmer of space, they'll most likely try to hit it.

Spike, to say that other teams don't worry about Champ is simply being incredulous to the game. I'll listen to opposing qb's, O coordinators and head coaches myself......
    Last edited by rcsodak; 09-17-2005, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    I'm not saying he's not a good player. I just don't feel like teams go out of their way to avoid him. In fact, sometimes it almost looked like the teams were targeting him (ie: Cincy and Oakland). I would agree that he is probably one of the better cb's in the league, but I do not think teams shy away from him.

Even in the game last week, the Dolphins went right at him. True, they didn't have success, but they definitely targeted his side of the field. I'm glad he got the pick last week, but let's be honest; that ball hit him in the numbers. Now, I will also admit that the picks against KC and NO last year were two of the most athletic plays I've ever seen.
    I don't know if there's a cornerback in the game today that "scares" the offenses, especially since they put that "point of emphasis" on illegal contact starting last year.

The best cornerbacks will be covering the opposing teams' best receivers. Offenses aren't going to want to avoid their best receivers, especially since the odds have been increased in the receivers' favor.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by JWinn
    If I was Marty, I would go after him relentlessly until he gives! Taking out Champ for several weeks only helps them.

I would really prefer they keep Champ out. No game is that big except the last game! I think those chances of re-injury are high. We need him for the long haul, not just tomorrow.

Lets say he plays, and does pretty well, like last week. Then in the 3rd he takes a shot and is gone for 4 weeks.

Would you rather have him for those four weeks, or just tomorrow? I'd take the four weeks personally. KC is just as important. And we will certianly need him for Jacksonville and New England. Not to mention Washington.

I wonder if Portis will try to put the hurt on him, assuming he's available for that game...........

I think the Chargers go after him.
    Yep, if you and I are thinking that way, it's a good bet the thought has crossed the mind's of the Chargers' offensive coaches.

Leave a comment:

• spikerman
    replied
    Originally posted by broncosfan247
    Champ had a descent week against the phins. 6 tackles, 1 pick. and he didn't even the entire game. CB is still one of top cornerbacks in the league and questionably the best. The guy still had a great year last season, just a couple bit him in the ass, and all cornerbacks get burned. I'm sure Deion did a few times as well. He'll be fine.
    I'm not saying he's not a good player. I just don't feel like teams go out of their way to avoid him. In fact, sometimes it almost looked like the teams were targeting him (ie: Cincy and Oakland). I would agree that he is probably one of the better cb's in the league, but I do not think teams shy away from him.

Even in the game last week, the Dolphins went right at him. True, they didn't have success, but they definitely targeted his side of the field. I'm glad he got the pick last week, but let's be honest; that ball hit him in the numbers. Now, I will also admit that the picks against KC and NO last year were two of the most athletic plays I've ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• broncosfan247
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
    well u want the chargers to win so i wont believe this post
    lol, when did i ever say i want the chargers to win? Broncos lose I get a crap load of cp's, Broncs win and they go 1-1, which could possibly put them in first place tie. Hmmm, which would I rather have? I hope i'm dishing out CP's for a long time.

I actually didd wanna switch my pick now that Bailey is playing, he is a gamebreaker, he makes our backfield 10x better. But don't know if it is too late to actually change my prediction.

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    Will the Chargers run the ball toward Champ's side of the field? Because I sure would.

Champ is normally excellent in run support and I have a feeling that he'll have a hard time not going all out when tackling a running back. If San Diego is smart they'll run his way a lot because a couple good pops could take him out of the game.

I love having Bailey on the Broncos but I'm not sure it's smart to play him so soon after dislocating his shoulder. I would imagine that the chances are pretty decent that he'll reinjure the shoulder and make things worse.

What do you think? Is Champ's heart too big for his own good? Should the coaches refuse to let him play? Or is this game too important to not risk possibly reinjuring Champ? Will the Chargers try to run the ball more in his direction?
    If I was Marty, I would go after him relentlessly until he gives! Taking out Champ for several weeks only helps them.

I would really prefer they keep Champ out. No game is that big except the last game! I think those chances of re-injury are high. We need him for the long haul, not just tomorrow.

Lets say he plays, and does pretty well, like last week. Then in the 3rd he takes a shot and is gone for 4 weeks.

Would you rather have him for those four weeks, or just tomorrow? I'd take the four weeks personally. KC is just as important. And we will certianly need him for Jacksonville and New England. Not to mention Washington.

I wonder if Portis will try to put the hurt on him, assuming he's available for that game...........

I think the Chargers go after him.

Leave a comment:

• broncosfan247
    replied
    As much as I hate to say it, I don't think SD will be overly concerned one way or another. I'm not sure Champ Bailey scares anybody anymore.
    Champ had a descent week against the phins. 6 tackles, 1 pick. and he didn't even the entire game. CB is still one of top cornerbacks in the league and questionably the best. The guy still had a great year last season, just a couple bit him in the ass, and all cornerbacks get burned. I'm sure Deion did a few times as well. He'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• spikerman
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe

-----
    Sorry, what's confusing about that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X