One game does not make a great player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One game does not make a great player

I have seen some posts saying that Darrent Williams or Ron Dayne should be starting this week.

Are you kidding me?

First off, Dayne had some decent yards in the second half of the Chargers game. However, he came in during the fourth quarter when the Chargers were already worn down from the game and our wonderful altitude. He needs to put up numbers against a GOOD defense before we annoit him the "Greatest Thing Since TD."

Darrent Williams is too short to be a starting CB in this league. He would get eaten alive. Most receivers in the league have a couple of inches on this guy. Lenny Walls is doing just fine.

Originally posted by Hova The God
    I have seen some posts saying that Darrent Williams or Ron Dayne should be starting this week.

Are you kidding me?

First off, Dayne had some decent yards in the second half of the Chargers game. However, he came in during the fourth quarter when the Chargers were already worn down from the game and our wonderful altitude. He needs to put up numbers against a GOOD defense before we annoit him the "Greatest Thing Since TD."

Darrent Williams is too short to be a starting CB in this league. He would get eaten alive. Most receivers in the league have a couple of inches on this guy. Lenny Walls is doing just fine.
    How tall is Darrent Williams. I'm asking this because two top 20 cornerbacks in the NFL are only 5'9". Those CB's are Antoine Winfield and Dre' Bly.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Hes 5'8" if im not mistaken.

Comment

wrong

Darrent Williams is too short to be a starting CB in this league. He would get eaten alive.
        Most corners in the league are 6' and under. He has a great vertical and can make up ground with the best of them. See him go up for that ball on his pic that he cought out of bounds.

HE may have some trouble against tall recievers on Fade routes in the corner of the end-zone.

other than that he will continue to get better.

I don't think Ron Dayne should start because the o-line finally got there **** together with him in the backfield.
        sigpic

Why did Mc'D get rid of Hillis?

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
          How tall is Darrent Williams. I'm asking this because two top 20 cornerbacks in the NFL are only 5'9". Those CB's are Antoine Winfield and Dre' Bly.

Winfield is not a top of the league corner...Try O'neil and Barber instead
          sigpic
          When you wanna win the game you gotta play it Bucc_Nasty!!
          ^^THX SNK^^^^
          You Da Man

Comment

Originally posted by Bucc_Nasty
            Winfield is not a top of the league corner...Try O'neil and Barber instead
            Are you serious? Antoine Winfield is considered a top 10 cornerback by most player rankings.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

well....

Are you kidding me?

no matter if it was 1st or last quarter, Dayne got the job done.4th quarter and the situation it was, teams live for that moment,both sides of the ball is tired, its just a matter of what team wanted it the most. Granted Dayne had fresh legs, but MA didnt do squat the whole game, but hurt us. Obiviously his injury is more severe than we thought. If we give him the ball like we should he will put up the numbers against good defenses. ...............and Darrent Williams will always be a nickel back in this league

big ups to snk16.

Comment

Are you kidding me?

I love the title of the thread and your point is well-taken for you are correct: 1 game does not make a great player. However, in Williams case, you have to admit he did have a nice game and looks to be a keeper. Should he start on Monday? No. Is he headed for the HOF? Probably not. Is he "too small" to play in this league? Definitely not as others have correctly pointed out. But he did play well and deserves to be recognized for it.

As for Dayne, he stepped up when given the opportunity. I, for one, thought going into camp that he would never even see the locker room once the regular season started so I guess he has at least shown me wrong there. Should he start on Monday? Not unless MA and Tater are hurt. Is he headed for the HOF? No. Can he play in this league? The jury is still out but it's starting to look good. Again, though, just like #27 he played well and deserves to be recognized for it.

Comment

Are you kidding me?

Ron Dayne had pretty decent success running on a defense that Denver never seems to run good against. Nobody is suggesting that he is the next TD. He has earned a shot at getting some more carries. And if Mike Anderson is not at 90% then Dayne should get the start.

Darrent Williams. He is a starter. Our starting Kick/Punt Returner. He also plays in certain situations. Should he start over Walls? Not right now...maybe in the future. The guy does have the "X-Factor" and has great potential. Do not write him off because of his height. Darryl Green was the same height and he was an awesome corner for a long time in Washington.
                  Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Are you kidding me?

You're right that people overreact on these forums.

But I think you're wrong in stating outright that Williams can't eventually become a starter simply because of his height. Darrell Green was a 5'8" cornerback who is going into the Hall of Fame in a few years. If Williams has enough talent (still to be seen) it will make up for a lot of height differential.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I like the way I have seen Darrent step up but he is still a rookie. lets not get too carried away. There are a lot of routes and tendencies that he will need to learn to recognize before he should get to start.

Dayne also looks pretty good. i am happy he made it on the team but again, MA has been the guy and deserves the nod until he proves that he cannot do the job. It is a team , not a bunch of mercernaries. you have to start the guy that you and the team believe in as a coach. I never believe that you can earn a starting Job in a single game, if that was the case Devoe should be starting after that preseason game in Arizona.

Comment

Well . . .

Shanny said there are 5-8 players who play like they're 5-8, then there is Williams who plays like he's 6-0. Shanny added that he did not doubt Darrent could eventually be a starter in this league.

Let's try to refrain from overreacting over physical features and (as in other cases) chronological age. Let's try to confine our judgments according to what we see in performance.

What I have seen is a rookie CB with an abundance of talent, who plays much bigger than his size, who played mano a mano against the likes of Andre Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Keenan McCardell and held his own. No, he's not ready to start at the time, but he is promising for the future.

Meanwhile, we have good starters right now.

-----

Comment

hey man i agree MA was doing fine... dayne did OK... not a groundbreaking performance.. definetly not deserving the starting spot.

and darrent williams r u KIDDING ME??? hahaha that is some funny **** lenny walls is GREAT darrent williams WILL BE i really like him because he is a very emotional player andound 2 yrs

SIG MADE BY ME!!

my myspace: www.myspace.com/italian2sta11ion
                          MY CUSTOM RINGTONES: http://djdraggytones.mstore.xingtone.com

Comment

ItalianSta11ion

The second pic is your sig is way too big and should be removed asap, again.

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
                              ItalianSta11ion

The second pic is your sig is way too big and should be removed asap, again.

alright man i'm on it

SIG MADE BY ME!!

my myspace: www.myspace.com/italian2sta11ion
                              MY CUSTOM RINGTONES: http://djdraggytones.mstore.xingtone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X