A thought on the Running Backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought on the Running Backs

This thread isn't meant to knock the Broncos backfield, just a thought and/or speculation. Do you think it's the playcalling, the lack of rythm, or poor RBs that's not allowing us many running yards. We haven't established the run(The first and last drives of last week's game are the only ones that come to mind) and it's quite apparent it's hurting us. I believe shanny is good with RBs and that we have talent back there, I also understand we've only played two games as well, this is just food for thought.

If the running game doesn't step up, does anyone forsee a trade to grab a solid back? I believe in MA, Ron Dayne, and Tatum Bell, but i'm still curious since they haven't shown much consistancy.

If things don't change, is a trade a reasonable solution?

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

hey man welcome to the boards... its pretty cool here

now to ure question:

i dont know why... but i am not concerned at ALL about our running back situation... we are gonna get things figuered out between 3 different indevidually talented backs.. and there will be one guy ahead of the pack gettin yards by week 5

SIG MADE BY ME!!

my myspace: www.myspace.com/italian2sta11ion
    MY CUSTOM RINGTONES: http://djdraggytones.mstore.xingtone.com

Comment

The problems with the running game start with the offensive line. They aren't getting a good push and the other team's linebackers seem to be filling up the holes. We have decent backs, but they're getting the ball with a defensive player staring them eye to eye. Not good.

I'm looking for more pitch outs like Dayne's play last Sunday, maybe some shovel passes, or screens to loosten up the D a bit. Lepsis looked good last week in the 4th quarter. I hope that's the start of a trend. But I think our O-Line is undersized and aging and the running game won't be as strong for us as in years past. But I think that Andeson, Bell and Dayne are good backs and we don't need to look elsewhere this year. The line needs to give them running room though.
      Last edited by Grover; 09-20-2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Yea, possibly it needs more time to develope. I think once we can establish the run more early/often it'll allow for a better passing performance by Jake. Only time will tell I suppose .

p.s. Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

I think our line hasn't really played well so far this season, both with pass protection and running, but also the backs arent really firing either

we had high hopes for tatum bell and hes sorta stumbled through training camp and losing the starter position everyone thought he would earn and at times when hes gotten carries, he hasnt really shown anything

mike anderson has been stop start but mainly because of his rib injury, that causes him to have pain even when breathing, so he's being real tough and going in there but i think it definitely affects his performance adversely but if he can recover and regain his form in preseason, our ground game WILL improve
          Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
          http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by dbdom
            I think our line hasn't really played well so far this season, both with pass protection and running, but also the backs arent really firing either

we had high hopes for tatum bell and hes sorta stumbled through training camp and losing the starter position everyone thought he would earn and at times when hes gotten carries, he hasnt really shown anything

mike anderson has been stop start but mainly because of his rib injury, that causes him to have pain even when breathing, so he's being real tough and going in there but i think it definitely affects his performance adversely but if he can recover and regain his form in preseason, our ground game WILL improve
            Yea, and I think if he's still hurting he should be pulled. Let him rest up and give one of our other backs a shot at starting.

Comment

"The problems with the running game start with the offensive line."

I hear that! This is the weakest run blocking oline ive seen for the Broncos in years. We are getting dominated in the middle on short yardage plays. Walter Payton would be getting stuffed at the goal line in the same situations our backs are seeing. Vs Miami we ran Bell up the middle in short yardage situations over and over again and pretty much everytime the Miami interior dline players and linebackers just dominated the middle of our line. We got serious problems with run blocking for a Broncos offense. We are in dire need of running more outside runs. Go back to the days of TD left. TD left. TD right... And do it in a hurry ShannY!

Comment

the problem with our running game is that the teams we play against plan all week to stop our run, 8 in the box, linebackers geared to the run.........and until our passing game is deemed a threat,, as in scoreing multiple tds in the passing game they will continue to stop the run. once our passing game gets consistant as a weapon to score the defenses will level out between the run and pass which will open it up for us
                sigpic
                when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16
                  This thread isn't meant to knock the Broncos backfield, just a thought and/or speculation. Do you think it's the playcalling, the lack of rythm, or poor RBs that's not allowing us many running yards. We haven't established the run(The first and last drives of last week's game are the only ones that come to mind) and it's quite apparent it's hurting us. I believe shanny is good with RBs and that we have talent back there, I also understand we've only played two games as well, this is just food for thought.

If the running game doesn't step up, does anyone forsee a trade to grab a solid back? I believe in MA, Ron Dayne, and Tatum Bell, but i'm still curious since they haven't shown much consistancy.

You are on to something here lets trade KC's line for ours. Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16

I don't think so, they have their solution right there in the roster, and Shanny seems hesitant to pull the trigger. C'mon Shanny do it, start Dayne!™
                    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by BIG AL
                      "The problems with the running game start with the offensive line."

I hear that! This is the weakest run blocking oline ive seen for the Broncos in years. We are getting dominated in the middle on short yardage plays. Walter Payton would be getting stuffed at the goal line in the same situations our backs are seeing. Vs Miami we ran Bell up the middle in short yardage situations over and over again and pretty much everytime the Miami interior dline players and linebackers just dominated the middle of our line. We got serious problems with run blocking for a Broncos offense. We are in dire need of running more outside runs. Go back to the days of TD left. TD left. TD right... And do it in a hurry ShannY!

Remember last year when Q was getting stuffed, no then it was Q's fault. This year as well as last year the Oline took time to gel and having a decent FB last year starting in about the 4-5 game made a BIG difference.

Not so sure that it will get better as everyone but us has been drafting BIG wide-bodies at DT over the past 5-7 years.

All it takes is a great big wide body to blow up ZONE blocking.

If he refuses to by moved the cut back is not gonna happen.

Perhaps it is time to do some quick pitches to out back and make the DL AWARE that we do something besides run up the gut.

Mikey has to remember that lots of teams are NOW using Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme and it is no longer hard to beat. If you are playing it every other week and are going up against it in practice every day it is no longer a mystery.

Comment

Also keep in mind we have played 2 really good run stopping defenses. We have had a history of not running the ball well against Miami and San Diego. I think we will be very productive with the running game against KC and that will open the boots for Jake to run. Whole lotta play action this Monday, you will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Grover
                          The problems with the running game start with the offensive line. They aren't getting a good push and the other team's linebackers seem to be filling up the holes. We have decent backs, but they're getting the ball with a defensive player staring them eye to eye. Not good.

I'm looking for more pitch outs like Dayne's play last Sunday, maybe some shovel passes, or screens to loosten up the D a bit. Lepsis looked good last week in the 4th quarter. I hope that's the start of a trend. But I think our O-Line is undersized and aging and the running game won't be as strong for us as in years past. But I think that Andeson, Bell and Dayne are good backs and we don't need to look elsewhere this year. The line needs to give them running room though.
                          Every year I read this same kind of comment after a game or two where the broncos either (1) play against a team w/ a strong run Defense (like SD, Fins), or (2) fall behind in the game and have to resort more to passing (Fins). In each year the OL supposedly sucks and doom and gloom set in. And the end result is that over the past decade the Broncos have run for more yardage than any other team in football and they are generally in the top five rushing teams annually.

Sorry, but I didn't buy it in the past, I don't buy it now, and I'm not worried about it. If the broncos aren't in the top 8 rushing teams in the league (top 25%)at the end of the season, be sure to come back and harass me about it, but I feel pretty safe that they will be.

They believe in the run, they commit to the run, they know how to select RBs and OL that fit their system, and ultimately they will have big games running the ball this year and have roughly similar success to previous years. The OL just isn't drastically different enough for this system to totally evaporate.

Comment

Originally posted by boofeyblitz
                            Also keep in mind we have played 2 really good run stopping defenses. We have had a history of not running the ball well against Miami and San Diego. I think we will be very productive with the running game against KC and that will open the boots for Jake to run. Whole lotta play action this Monday, you will see.
                            KC has the #1 ranked rushing defense in the AFC right now.
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                              Remember last year when Q was getting stuffed, no then it was Q's fault. This year as well as last year the Oline took time to gel and having a decent FB last year starting in about the 4-5 game made a BIG difference.

Not so sure that it will get better as everyone but us has been drafting BIG wide-bodies at DT over the past 5-7 years.

All it takes is a great big wide body to blow up ZONE blocking.

If he refuses to by moved the cut back is not gonna happen.

Perhaps it is time to do some quick pitches to out back and make the DL AWARE that we do something besides run up the gut.

Mikey has to remember that lots of teams are NOW using Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme and it is no longer hard to beat. If you are playing it every other week and are going up against it in practice every day it is no longer a mystery.
                              Wide body DTs are not a sudden one-year innovation that "Mikey" needs to be aware of. They've been in place for YEARS! And the bronco running attack has been successful for more than a decade (NFL best rushing yardage over 10years). I just believe, as with last year, it's too early to throw in the towel on a classic system just because of a couple subpar games.

Comment

Working...
                              X