our offense vs. the chiefs d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• our offense vs. the chiefs d

Our offense isnt playing well right now. While the Chiefs defense is much improved. Can anyone think of the mis matches that we can exploit? Personally I dont think our offense out classes the chiefs defense like in years past. Thier defense could possibly be a step ahead of our offense right now. I dont think the chiefs defense is anything special. Infact I think they are barely average. The problem is our offense doesnt even look average right now.

The mis match I think we have is Lelie against the chiefs secondary. Assuming Surtain is covering Smith. That's about it though. I think Lelie has to have a dominate game for us to win.

I think there is a gap in our relative confidence right now.

The Chiefs' defense is playing with confidence whereas the Broncos' offense is struggling to regain theirs. That can be a huge factor in and of itself.

I believe we still have the talent, despite a lack of superstars, to be one of the top offenses in the league. But we have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. Penalties and ball security need to be top priorities. And if our offensive line can just get back to normal, like they did at the end of the last game, then we'll get back on track as an overall offense.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
      Our offense isnt playing well right now. While the Chiefs defense is much improved. Can anyone think of the mis matches that we can exploit? Personally I dont think our offense out classes the chiefs defense like in years past. Thier defense could possibly be a step ahead of our offense right now. I dont think the chiefs defense is anything special. Infact I think they are barely average. The problem is our offense doesnt even look average right now.

The mis match I think we have is Lelie against the chiefs secondary. Assuming Surtain is covering Smith. That's about it though. I think Lelie has to have a dominate game for us to win.
      We won't have success running against them due to Derrick Johnson, Kawika Mitchell, Sammy Knight, and the surprisingly rejuvenated Greg Wesley.

Rod Smith will have a tough game if Surtain is on him. Charlie Adams will have a tough time with DeWayne Washington on him. Sammy Knight is a great ballhawking cover safety and will give good help over the top.

The only weakness, is as you pointed out, Ashley Lelie against the midget Dextor McCleon. Of course, McCleon will almost always have help over the top from Knight. However, this is a mismatch and we need Lelie to have a big game.

Also, Putzier is a tough matchup for anybody. They'll probably put Bell or Johnson on him most of the time, that can be exploited.

Oh, but in regards to the Chiefs defense, they are well above average. Their LB corps is damn impressive, they are getting superb safety play from Knight and Wesley, Surtain is as good a CB as there is in the NFL along with Bailey, and their D-line has talented pass rushing DEs and solid run stuffing DTs. Plus, their offense is taking a page out of Denver's book from last season and is running the ball a ton more then they are passing, keeping the defense fresh and active.

Comment

Surtain will not be exclusively on Rod Smith. Patrick Surtain plays only on the left side of the field.
        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

watch the running game come alive..just watch its going to happen...we will run the ball against KC
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firstwave64
            watch the running game come alive..just watch its going to happen...we will run the ball against KC
            I won't hold my breath.

Comment

I hate to say it, but this offense right now, doesnt match up well against most college D's.

With the recent Monday night woes, and the chiefs being improved over last year this will be a very tough game for Denver to win.

Comment

Originally posted by uhhyeahagain
                I won't hold my breath.
                Please do!

Comment

With the speed of their LB's, I don't think we will have a lot of luck running outside the tackles. This is the game when our O-line has to step up and smack them in the mouth. We are going to have to keep their defense on the field as LONG as possible. We need to dominate time of possession and knock some heads around between the tackles. Look for a healthy dose of Anderson and Dayne in this one, and depending on Tatum maybe him later on when the D is not so fresh and aggressive.

If we can accomplish this in the first half, I think we will have a lot better luck running to the outside in the second half. That said, the bootleg might be a little suspect in this game as well, especially with speedy Derrick Johnson spying Plummer. We are going to have to get that zone blocking rocking early, and use the Defense's speed against them on the cutback.

Personally, I think this is going to be a breakout game for the run offense, finally.

One can hope, anyways.

Comment

Gonna have to be smash mouth. Johson is very impressive rookie. Gonna have to keep him contained. Need to run Dayne at them. I don't think speed back is an option. WRs are gonna have to run precise routes and Plummer will have to throw good thrown balls. McCleon is small but smart and fast. OL will have to step it up. Lelie simply will have to out jump McCleon and Surtain and Smith will be a battle all day. From QB side Surtain wins.

Comment

even if we dont have a major amount of success running (well at least not the 200 yrd type ground game we are used to vs KC) we still need to keep their defense honest to the ground game and play our pass off that, because if we just throw more and more, in the end the pressure will tell and we'll get mistakes in the passing game

however, there is the possibility that KC are looking better than it is, the jets just didnt start during week 1 and against a streaky oakland offense, they played decently but collins was erratic and the oakland OL isnt great

but one important thing is that i dont think that KC will be able to run against us either, it would be interesting if neither ground game gets going because talking about their impressive LBs, we have our own set of impressive LBs who are sideline-to-sideline and will stop them running over us, so it might be down to the passing offenses
                      Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                      http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by dbdom
                        even if we dont have a major amount of success running (well at least not the 200 yrd type ground game we are used to vs KC) we still need to keep their defense honest to the ground game and play our pass off that, because if we just throw more and more, in the end the pressure will tell and we'll get mistakes in the passing game

however, there is the possibility that KC are looking better than it is, the jets just didnt start during week 1 and against a streaky oakland offense, they played decently but collins was erratic and the oakland OL isnt great

but one important thing is that i dont think that KC will be able to run against us either, it would be interesting if neither ground game gets going because talking about their impressive LBs, we have our own set of impressive LBs who are sideline-to-sideline and will stop them running over us, so it might be down to the passing offenses
                        You still had "impressive" linebackers last year and the Chiefs had 302 yards rushing against Denver in two games.
                        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Better hope..........

that you guys can be succesfull passing the ball, because even though our rush Def looked a little worse against OK than the JEts it still looked ok. I think Plummer should be able have a good game, but also we should be able to limit your rushing yards. The Den WRs have run some pretty sloppy routes and used bricks as hands on some plays. I think Surtain will be able to contain Rod Smith and i also think that McLeon will be able to handle Lelie for the most part. Like he did with Porter most of the OK game. Den should watch out for Derrik Johnson, hes been everywhere on the feild in both games. And also with your struggling blocking so far, be careful of Benny Sapp, the best nickle back and best blitzing CB in the game, to come on blitzes on passing situations.
                          Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

They are still vulnerable to the pass, if Jake plays well (big if), we will win.

Shanny will have a few tricks up his sleeve for this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Superchop7
                              They are still vulnerable to the pass, if Jake plays well (big if), we will win.

Shanny will have a few tricks up his sleeve for this one.
                              Win wouldnt be garunteed, but it would dearly help for your offenses sake
                              Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Working...
                              X