our offense vs. the chiefs d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue719
    And that's where most of the time we will be lining up multiple receivers to try to create mismatches.

I think a lot will come down to whether or not we can get the running game going. If we can, it's going to be a long afternoon for the Chiefs and their fans. If we can't get the running game going, it could be a long day for Broncos fans and the Denver Defense.
    If they use multiple WR sets that leaves no runningback or fullback in the backfield to block on the blitz.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

It's just like Chief fans to try and talk themselves into a place that they can not play themselves out of. The Chiefs have had 2 descent games, I say descent because the Jets did everything in their power to hand you the game, and Raiders Defense did a pretty good job against your high power Offense. Also, if there wasn't a bad call in the end zone (Offense PI?) and Turner being a complete Moron you guys would be 1-1. So to be cocky about your team's chances this Monday night are crazy . Our defense line will have you praying for an over the hill Sapp, our CB's will shut down your pathetic WR's, and your TE will get shoved down and completely frustrated, like last year's Monday night game. Our offense will smack your "improved" defense in the mouth, than throw over your CB's head to wide open Lelie. If your think any differently, let me know. The way I see it, your running game looked suspect, and your passing game looked average against an below average secondary.
      Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
        Is Miami's offense one of the best in the league? No. Then why did Miami put up 30+ points on your defense. For the record, though, I will have to say your Browncos D-line didn't look too bad in the second half of that game Sunday.

Huh? Did you watch the game or read about it? The reason the defense gave up 30+ points in that game was twofold:

1) The temperature was over 110 on the field and our offense couldn't keep the defense off of the field.

2) Late in the third quarter on, we were playing with two rookie corners (with both of the starters out) and then with a safety at CB when one of the rookies was hurt. 21 of those points came in the fourth quarter with that scenario in place.

--------------------------------------------

As for the Chiefs defense and how we can exploit it:

The Chiefs D is improved. No doubt about it. But they are still VERY weak in one key area. . . the defensive line. While the LB's are fast, the D-Line is poor. The Raiders were to stupid to keep pounding it at them. And the Jets were so busy fumbling the football that they couldn't do anything.

What do you do with a weak D-Line and a strong LB core? Two things. You run the ball between the tackles. (and you don't give a damn if they start clogging the box and hold you to 3 yards a carry while you are doing it, you actually WANT that to happen. You then use play action to make the LB's jump and hit tight ends down the seam and RB's out of the backfield.

The second thing you do is catch them on plays when the LB's don't blitz and throw the ball. You'll have time. Collins dropped back 35 times and was dropped once, a coverage sack. Stay patient and don't turn the ball over, you can score on them. What's more, you can keep the ball away fron their offense and keep our defense fresh.

Hell, we should know how to exploit a defense with a strong set of LB's and a weak defensive line. That's exactly what we've been for the last 5 years. Just look at what teams have done to us.

Oh, and Derrick Johnson may be the best player in last years draft class. I can't believe he fell as far as he did. He's a terrific talent. I'm also not sure Jake is patient enough to pull this thing off. I guess we'll see on that one.

Comment

Is Miami's offense one of the best in the league? No. Then why did Miami put up 30+ points on your defense. For the record, though, I will have to say your Browncos D-line didn't look too bad in the second half of that game Sunday.
          "TOO Bad"? You don't think they were "too bad"?? That's big-hearted of you!

That defense was totally DOMINANT in the 2nd half of that game. San Diego could do nothing whatever against them.

The DL put up relentless pressure and forced turnovers. The DBs intercepted 2 passes (although Williams was juggling the ball as he fell out of bounds, so his interception was overturned after review).

LT was smothered in the backfield. He had 9 rushes in the 2nd half for a total of 11 net yards (5 plays for minus yards). On every series the Chargers tried to run LT only to have him stuffed.

That forced Drew Brees to rely on passes. He didn't have any more success. Brees was 15/23 for a net 145 yards passing, no TDs and 1 Int on the day.

You better hope that defense doesn't show up on Monday Night, because they just FLATTENED a very good offensive team. San Diego was a top 5 offensive team last year and they have all their starters returning this year.

And they could do nothing against Denver's D.

Of course our offense has been struggling and played horribly during the Chargers game. They gave up THREE TDs on a fumble and 2 penalties.

Normally when you do that you not only lose but lose badly. That game should have been a blowout, if there hadn't been so many screwups.

Don't look for Denver's offense to be as bad against the Chiefs.

But the real question is whether the defense can keep up the same level of intensity they had in the 2nd half of the Chargers game. If the defense plays that well against the Chefs they won't score many points.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
            "TOO Bad"? You don't think they were "too bad"?? That's big-hearted of you!

That defense was totally DOMINANT in the 2nd half of that game. San Diego could do nothing whatever against them.

The DL put up relentless pressure and forced turnovers. The DBs intercepted 2 passes (although Williams was juggling the ball as he fell out of bounds, so his interception was overturned after review).

LT was smothered in the backfield. He had 9 rushes in the 2nd half for a total of 11 net yards (5 plays for minus yards). On every series the Chargers tried to run LT only to have him stuffed.

That forced Drew Brees to rely on passes. He didn't have any more success. Brees was 15/23 for a net 145 yards passing, no TDs and 1 Int on the day.

You better hope that defense doesn't show up on Monday Night, because they just FLATTENED a very good offensive team. San Diego was a top 5 offensive team last year and they have all their starters returning this year.

And they could do nothing against Denver's D.

Of course our offense has been struggling and played horribly during the Chargers game. They gave up THREE TDs on a fumble and 2 penalties.

Normally when you do that you not only lose but lose badly. That game should have been a blowout, if there hadn't been so many screwups.

Don't look for Denver's offense to be as bad against the Chiefs.

But the real question is whether the defense can keep up the same level of intensity they had in the 2nd half of the Chargers game. If the defense plays that well against the Chefs they won't score many points.
            Well, the Chargers don't exactly have the Chiefs O-line, now do they?
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Well, the Chargers don't exactly have the Chiefs O-line, now do they?

Nope. It'll be a test, that's for sure.

That said, if Warren plays the way he did the other day, I like our chances at clogging the inside and forcing the Chiefs to run to the outside. Then I'll take the chances with the speed we have at LB.

My concern centers around Jake Plummer throwing 15 INT's and blowing the game more than it does on the Chiefs offense scoring so many points we can't stay in the game. The Raiders have a defense far worse than Denver's and they held the Cheifs to 23. I think Denver can do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyF

That said, if Warren plays the way he did the other day, I like our chances at clogging the inside and forcing the Chiefs to run to the outside. Then I'll take the chances with the speed we have at LB.

My concern centers around Jake Plummer throwing 15 INT's and blowing the game more than it does on the Chiefs offense scoring so many points we can't stay in the game. The Raiders have a defense far worse than Denver's and they held the Cheifs to 23. I think Denver can do the same.
                The score of a Raiders vs. Chiefs game doesn't mean anything. They are always close. I'm not for sure how this game will turn out, but the score from last week has little to do with how we will do this week.

Comment

The score of a Raiders vs. Chiefs game doesn't mean anything. They are always close. I'm not for sure how this game will turn out, but the score from last week has little to do with how we will do this week.
                  Other than it does show that your offense has slowed down. Your offense isn't looking like tht "#1" offense that has been around for the last couple of years. The Raider defense is pretty weak, especially shown against the patriots.

The reason? You guys have a QB that can throw, but no one to really throw to. The Patriots picked apart the Raider secondary.. the Chiefs main offense is the run, which is the toughest part of the Raider D. The Chiefs couldn't expose that weak link in the Raider's defense. That lack of passing power could hurt you guys in the long run *shrugs*.

However, against the Broncos. Your power running game is going to be facing our weakness, our run defense. I'm not feeling confident in the Broncos at all this season so far. I'm just hoping we don't finish less than 8-8.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyF

No one forces KC to run outside, they run outside by choice and no one in the NFL is more successful than KC at doing it. I don't care how fast your LB's are. Superior blocking will overcome speed evertime.

Comment

Well, then what do we bother predicting games for then? If we can't base predictions on past performence, what's the point of even trying to analyze a game?

The Broncos haven't run well the first two weeks, but they could pop off for 250 on Monday night, right? So are we going to predict the Broncos will light up the Cheifs D or are we going to use the early season performence of the two units to make an assessment as to how they'll perform?

Doesn't mean it'll be an accurate prediction. Quite the opposite, it could be way off. But it's certainly more accurate than basing a prediction on astrology or a guess of how guys "should" perform, right?

So, I'll say it again. The Chiefs put up 23 against an average defensive team in Oakland. I see nothing to indicate they'll go off for more than that against a Bronco defense that is better in every area than the Raiders. I'm coming into this game believing the Broncos O will decide it. I think the Chiefs O is solid, but I don't look at it like I would the '89 Niners. They can be contained if you play them right. What can't be contained is an out of control Jake Plummer missing open receivers and giving the football away against an aggressive defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                        Other than it does show that your offense has slowed down. Your offense isn't looking like tht "#1" offense that has been around for the last couple of years. The Raider defense is pretty weak, especially shown against the patriots.

The reason? You guys have a QB that can throw, but no one to really throw to. The Patriots picked apart the Raider secondary.. the Chiefs main offense is the run, which is the toughest part of the Raider D. The Chiefs couldn't expose that weak link in the Raider's defense. That lack of passing power could hurt you guys in the long run *shrugs*.

However, against the Broncos. Your power running game is going to be facing our weakness, our run defense. I'm not feeling confident in the Broncos at all this season so far. I'm just hoping we don't finish less than 8-8.
                        If Green can throw but no one to throw to, how in the world did he throw for over 4500 yards last year? With an 8.1 ypa he's obviously got someone to throw the ball to.

Comment

If they use multiple WR sets that leaves no runningback or fullback in the backfield to block on the blitz.
                          Sometimes. And that may still work out for screens, smoke routes and slants.
                          You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X