DJ Williams the forgotten man?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Williams the forgotten man?

Monday will be my first game watching this regular season. So I may be off base but DJ doesnt seem to be having a good start to the season. I depend on the news, stats and these boards to keep up with the team when I cant watch the game. I havent heard much if anything about DJ. Nobody has commented on his play on the strong side. For instance, How was his coverage on Gates?

I also would like to know if Gold is playing the position as well as DJ did last year or even he did himself the year before that?

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
    Monday will be my first game watching this regular season. So I may be off base but DJ doesnt seem to be having a good start to the season. I depend on the news, stats and these boards to keep up with the team when I cant watch the game. I havent heard much if anything about DJ. Nobody has commented on his play on the strong side. For instance, How was his coverage on Gates?

I also would like to know if Gold is playing the position as well as DJ did last year or even he did himself the year before that?

I wish they would let DJ just play weak side again...

I think he has done ok....but when he was a weak side backer in my opinion was better.

but he is still a great LB. he has been playing pretty well.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDforTatum26
      I wish they would let DJ just play weak side again...

I think he has done ok....but when he was a weak side backer in my opinion was better.

but he is still a great LB. he has been playing pretty well.
      Ya hes not as good at strong side as we all predicted, but Ian Gold cant play strong any better.

I think its best just to let him tough it out.
      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

I think Gates hat 8 catches for 80 yards so i don't really think thats good coverage. But im glad he didn't see the redzone.
        Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange

DJ had a fair game against the bolts. I think he's still in the learning stages of his new position. He was blanketing Gates on a couple of pass plays, but perfectly thrown balls from Brees got the ball in there. He'll be just fine, he's a baller. On the other hand, Ian Gold is playing like he never left. He's doing what he does....Disrupting plays using his speed, and making sure tackles. The defensive schemes against the bolts allowed DJ to roam free on a couple of drives. He did a great job of getting to the ball. Look out for Sam Brandon this year, they used him to line up on Gates sometimes to free up DJ to blitz. Seems to be a good idea, he did a good job as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightOLB53
            I think Gates hat 8 catches for 80 yards so i don't really think thats good coverage. But im glad he didn't see the redzone.

He kept gates from scoring or making huge plays. Granted, gates converted a couple of third downs, but those were due to horrible defensive play calling and one unbelievably accurate throw by Brees.

Comment

Part of D.J. Williams' problem right now is missed tackles. While he's had some struggles at SLB, the tackles have been there for him at times, but he's just flat missed them. I remeber a few chances in both games to drop the ball carrier for a loss, but only slowed them down. He's going to have fewer chances at SLB, but he needs to do a better job of converting the chances he has had. He'll be fine, there isn't another team with a more athletic SLB, maybe D.J. can redefine the position in a few years, we'll see.

Comment

Don't expect much in the way of stats and excitement from D.J. Williams. He plays the strong side (Sam) linebacker position, so he definitely won't eclipse 100 tackles. It's the nature of the position.

And seriously, anyone who doesn't think Gates on Williams is a total mismatch needs psychiatric help
                A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

I was at the game, and I was watching just DJ for a little bit, and I thought that he was playing SAM pretty well, for this being his first year.
                  sigpic

Comment

Gates didn't score, and there were at least 2 catches Gates made that were just amazing catches, nothing wrong with the coverage. Also, I think I remember AL covering Gates on one of the amazing catches.

I'm sure D.J. will be fine - I would like to see him involved in more blitzes though. We shall see...

Comment

If Kawika MItchell can keep up with Randy Moss and cover him (which he did), D.J. Williams should be able to do the same thing with Gates.
                      "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                        If Kawika MItchell can keep up with Randy Moss and cover him (which he did), D.J. Williams should be able to do the same thing with Gates.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                          Guess that means denver can put Warren on Moss then..........
                          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                            Guess that means denver can put Warren on Moss then..........
                            Mitchell is fast though. He runs in the area of a 4.5 something 40.
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos04Champs
                              Gates didn't score, and there were at least 2 catches Gates made that were just amazing catches, nothing wrong with the coverage. Also, I think I remember AL covering Gates on one of the amazing catches.

I'm sure D.J. will be fine - I would like to see him involved in more blitzes though. We shall see...

Exactly. The number of receptions isn't a good indicator. Gates made some plays despite some very good coverage and had to work for everything he got, although I can't be sure who was covering Gates.

Good players like Gates will do that...

Comment

Working...
                              X