Shanny's own words.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanny's own words.....

For you who insist that it's "Shanny this" or "Shanny that", here's a tidbit of info you might find interesting.......

Shanahan offered this about the inner workings of the Broncos offense: The fourth-down pitch play and run by Ron Dayne was called by Gary Kubiak, not Shanahan. Kubiak calls nearly all of the plays, Shanahan said. He said he might confer with Kubiak on some calls, but Kubiak makes the bulk of them and Shanahan simply sends them in over the headset from the sideline.

Shanahan gets frustrated, he said, when he hears everyone say that he makes all decisions all the time regarding everything Broncos. He said final authority is his, but he lets his coaches coach and his scouts scout and listens to thoughts throughout the building.

He portrays himself as a man not consumed with power but as a team player who knows ultimate responsibility is his.
    .....reap it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Originally posted by rcsodak
    For you who insist that it's "Shanny this" or "Shanny that", here's a tidbit of info you might find interesting.......

.....reap it.
    No-one questioned or cares whether he calls all the plays!

It's his piss-poor performances on DRAFT day that are the problem, not his play-calling.

Most objective observers acknowledge that Shanahan is a superior game day coach.

Notice that the 1st drive moved right down the field and should have scored a TD, except for the Anderson fumble.

That's a Shanahan trademark, his teams outscore opponents badly in the first quarter because of his scripted 15 plays.

But when he puts on his GM hat, strange things have been known to happen.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

It's his piss-poor performances on DRAFT day that are the problem, not his play-calling.
      Umm, have you been reading these threads? even all of last year, everybody was questioning Shanny's play calling, how it's become "too perdictable" without even mentioning Kubiak (I belive one person started a thread on coordinators)... but now the truth comes out, there are such things as an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator...

btw thanks for the article rcsodak..
      fight u dwn the fied..cu must win.. fight fight fr Victoy..cu knows no defet! so roll up the mighty score, Never Give in!!...shouler to shulder we will FIGHT..FIGHT ... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

Comment

Well . . .

Most objective observers acknowledge that Shanahan is a superior game day coach.

Notice that the 1st drive moved right down the field and should have scored a TD, except for the Anderson fumble.

That's a Shanahan trademark, his teams outscore opponents badly in the first quarter because of his scripted 15 plays.

Shanny doesn't plan to do any drafting his Monday night.

-----

Comment

maybe you simply skimmed over what he cut and pasted or the article itself in 'the Post'...
          ... lets his coaches coach and his scouts scout
          If you expect Mike Shanahan to be able to scout every single player in the draft you have a screw loose, that is what the scouts are for.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

You got proven wrong about the game calling on Shanny and now find something else to complain about. Just get off the subject. There is nothing you or I can do to change things so just enjoy the season and hope for the best.

The draft is what you're complaining about? How about Dj Williams and Darrent Williams for starters. How about the masterful trade he pulled off by trading the first round pick to Washington for theirs next year. How about Al Wilson, Portis, Anderson, Terell, Pryce, Mobley. Since 1995 I think we put together a pretty good team.

He has made some mistakes at drafting but know that every coach does. 1 more thing, when you draft in the lower half of the draft like we always do since Shanny always seems to find a way to get us a winning season, you really cant ask for the next born superstar with the 24th pick and below every year. You'll get lucky at best to find one. I could see if we were always drafting in the top 10 and find a bust year in and year out, then yeah I see a problem.

Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

Comment

If you are having a problem with the plays that are being called, look no further than Shanahan.

It's true that he isn't calling the plays, but he is approving them. It might be a co-ordinator calling them, but Mike is responsible for the final approval.

Shanahan makes a lot of money and is entrusted with an incredible amount of responsibility. Any decision that is made below him, as in Kubiak's calls, he is ultimately responsible for. That is what the position of manager entails.

If you have a problem with the plays that are being called and are trying to circumvent the boss, you are placing the blame in the wrong place.

I personally don't have a problem with the job Shanahan is doing, but if you think that he doesn't have final say with the plays being sent down, try again.

Don't blame (or praise) the assistants, this is Mike's team and those are Mike's plays.

Comment

Zarub, did you read it? he even said he has final say in the play but most cases he will just go with what he is given. Why? because he trusts the Off co-ordinator to make the right call. The way people go on here sometimes, you'd think the Broncos dont have the co-ordinators behind shanny. I'm sure the guys paying their wages would be happy if that was the case but it isnt.
                "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Comment

It's his piss-poor performances on DRAFT day that are the problem

And so how can you be so sure he's 100% responsible for the draft picks?

No one else has any input?

As an example, I can remember it being said that our RB coach is the one who had been interested in Clarett since early on.
                    sigpic
                    They're your teammates, now.
                    Best of luck, TT!
                    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

I'm not arguing the opening drive remarks but I was one that thought that often Shanahan was calling the offense from the sideline, with assistance in the booth from Kubiak. The reason I thought that was a game last season (or the one before?) where the offense suddenly came alive and afterwards Shanahan admitted that he told Kubiak that nothing he tried was working and turned Kubiak loose with all the playcalling, as well as Griese comments after he left Denver that Shanny called the plays and that he (Griese) didn't have the ability to change the calls at the line.

I read that remark by Shanahan and thought it was interesting that he said that.
                      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                        Shanny doesn't plan to do any drafting his Monday night.

-----
                        Well I'M not one of the ones complaining about Shanahan's play calling during games. Some people have complained that he's too predictable, that he doesn't adjust his game plan well to changing conditions, etc.

I am not one of those people. I think he's done extremely well in the initial stages of the games and quite well overall in his gameplan.

A lot of the criticism stems from the "Indigestion in Indy" during the playoffs the last 2 years. A blowout loss will create all kinds of criticism.

So, maybe I'm wrong about "no one" complaining about playcalling. I just don't give a lot of weight to that complaint.

As for Shanahan's drafting. NO he's not going to be doing that Monday night.

As for the rest of the comments that his drafting is great or O.K. I can't re-create here the 6 months of debate we've had on these boards about this subject and all the links posted and all the analysis comparing his draft picks to those of the Patriots under Belicheck and other successful teams like the Eagles, etc.

I will only say here that it is commonly believed around the NFL that no one person can serve both as coach and GM successfully, that those jobs are too consuming for any one man to do well. Shanahan is his own GM. Ted Sundquist doesn't have any power and Shanahan makes all the final decisions about the draft. (Don't bother saying ridiculous things about how he "consults" with his GM or "asks advice" from his coaches! I'm talking who has the final power of decision when there's an honest difference of opinion. And that's Shanahan).

That is NOT the way it is in the rest of the NFL. There GMs have real power, make all final decisions about personnel and consult with the coach as needed.

When Shanahan was winning SBs with Elway, everybody just shook their heads and said he could get away with it because he was a football genius. Now that he hasn't won a playoff game since January 1999, they aren't so forgiving. Now it just looks like Shanahan has too much power for his own good.

If you do it one way and the rest of the NFL does it another, then you'd better produce results that justify you going your own way. And Shanahan hasn't done it the last 6 years. So that consensus that he's his own worst enemy and that Bowlen ought to fire Shanahan the GM and keep Shanahan the coach is only going to get stronger unless he wins another Super-bowl this year.
                        Last edited by Cugel; 09-21-2005, 07:53 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I'M not one of the ones complaining about Shanahan's play calling during games. Some people have complained that he's too predictable, that he doesn't adjust his game plan well to changing conditions, etc.

I am not one of those people. I think he's done extremely well in the initial stages of the games and quite well overall in his gameplan.

A lot of the criticism stems from the "Indigestion in Indy" during the playoffs the last 2 years. A blowout loss will create all kinds of criticism.

So, maybe I'm wrong about "no one" complaining about playcalling. I just don't give a lot of weight to that complaint.

As for Shanahan's drafting. NO he's not going to be doing that Monday night.

As for the rest of the comments that his drafting is great or O.K. I can't re-create here the 6 months of debate we've had on these boards about this subject and all the links posted and all the analysis comparing his draft picks to those of the Patriots under Belicheck and other successful teams like the Eagles, etc.

I will only say here that it is commonly believed around the NFL that no one person can serve both as coach and GM successfully, that those jobs are too consuming for any one man to do well. Shanahan is his own GM. Ted Sundquist doesn't have any power and Shanahan makes all the final decisions about the draft. (Don't bother saying ridiculous things about how he "consults" with his GM or "asks advice" from his coaches! I'm talking who has the final power of decision when there's an honest difference of opinion. And that's Shanahan).

That is NOT the way it is in the rest of the NFL. There GMs have real power, make all final decisions about personnel and consult with the coach as needed.

When Shanahan was winning SBs with Elway, everybody just shook their heads and said he could get away with it because he was a football genius. Now that he hasn't won a playoff game since January 1999, they aren't so forgiving. Now it just looks like Shanahan has too much power for his own good.

If you do it one way and the rest of the NFL does it another, then you'd better produce results that justify you going your own way. And Shanahan hasn't done it the last 6 years. So that consensus that he's his own worst enemy and that Bowlen ought to fire Shanahan the GM and keep Shanahan the coach is only going to get stronger unless he wins another Super-bowl this year.

09-21-05

all you needed to write was

"Now that he hasn't won a playoff game since January 1999"
                          Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

shanny

I would talk about how great shanny was to all my friends till I was blue in the face. One thing that has come up by alot of my friends and I have to agree with them is that sence elway and t.d. left how has shanny coached??? Now he is the coach ! and no matter how many other people around him do this and do that he still is the coach. We have had 2 qbs all kinds of running backs and still nothing. I like shanny but I think that they have figured him out and if it is true that other people are calling his plays, then they will be responsable for him being cut at the end of this season, if we dont get a playoff win. Sorry i'm rambling, but the plain truth is that with out elway at the gun and t.d. running the ball we have done nothing, how many players do you have to suffle through untill you look at the caoch?
                            Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Could you *****es stop, well... *****ing?

We lost a HALL OF FAME quarterback and have still put together 3 playoff teams. Besides the San Francisco 49'ers and Joe Montana, please show me a team that has lost a Franchise, Hall of Fame quarterback and won a Superbowl in the next five seasons.

I'll wait here while you complainers look that up...

Comment

Working...
                              X