Overall thoughts on the team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall thoughts on the team

Last year, my main concern for the Broncos was the lack of push regarding the Defensive Line. I'm glad Shanahan made this a priority during the off season, and it appears ( at least in the short term ) that this upgrade is paying dividends. It remains to be seen how well the adopted Dawgs will perform in the long run, but I maintain high hopes.

Not sure if it's been pointed out here -or- by the media, but is anyone other than me concerned with our O-Line? The Broncos have ( in the Shanahan era at least ) predicated our entire game plan on the success of our running game. I think we're looking pretty good in the RB department, but I believe the line is suspect. They don't gel quite as well as they did when Alex Gibbs was coaching them. This coupled with the age factor ( minus George Foster ) of the entire line has me wondering if they will be able to open up holes as efficiently as they have in the past.

I'd go so far as to say that the days of "anyone" being able to run behind our line and get a 1000 yd season are close to ( if not completely ) over. Granted, the season is young still and possibly they are still learning to click... but to me at least, it seems we are not dominating the trenches like we used to.

I'm a tad concerned with our secondary as well. Granted, Champ Bailey is a great player, and Darrent Williams appears to be an up and coming star, but I believe we will be beaten long more than a few times this year. We don't seem to have much speed at the position. Even with Champ, we seem to be suspect on occasion ( anyone remember the Cinci game? Champ got spanked imho ).

Along with the D-line, I believe our LB corps is a strength this year ( possibly the best front 7 in the league ). This will definately make up for some of the weaknesses in the secondary, but will it carry us through to the play offs?

Don't take the post out of context. I still believe we are good enough to make a strong run this year, but I wouldn't rank us #1 just yet. Just wondering what ya'll are thinking.

Nola

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
    ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

"Granted, Champ Bailey is a great player, and Darrent Williams appears to be an up and coming star, but I believe we will be beaten long more than a few times this year. We don't seem to have much speed at the position."

You are kidding yes? Champ runs a 4.3... DWill runs a 4.3... Foxworth runs a 4.3... Paymah runs a 4.3... Roc runs a 4.3... The only corner on the team that doesnt run a 4.3 is Lenny and I seem to remember him running a 4.4... The Broncos lack speed at corner? SAY WHAT???

Comment

Yeah we got burners. But there's more to it than straight line speed. Afterall, how many corners start out facing backwards ready to race? Corner 40 time should include a 5 step backpedal and then the twist and straight run.

I think D-Will and D-Fox are going to be great players. Jury is still out on Paymah. Walls is always and will always be a second rate guy. Of course, you can't coach height. =p

Comment

But our corners arent just good at straight line speed. Guys like Champ and Dwill are quick as well. To go along with the top end speed... Saying Broncos corners arent fast is like saying Broncos linebackers arent fast. Its just not reality... Our safeties arent fast? Id agree with that... But the corners? Hell no...

Comment

Yeah...uhh...burners = fast. Champ, D-Will, and Foxworth are really quick as well. But Walls? Paymah? Roc? Not so quick.

Comment

I agree w/most of your post, NOLA.

That O-line (especially in short yardage and red zone situations) just doesn't get much push on opposing team's D-line. That's why I'm glad we've incorporated more misdirection in last week's game plan. Let's play to our strengths (quickness) rather than trying to pound the ball between the tackles.

I'm also concerned w/our red zone effectiveness. It seems we get to the 20 and then have to settle for FGs when we should be getting TDs. Where have the TEs gone in our passing game? I'd love to see Nate Jackson and/or Wesley Duke used as a red zone weapon.

Secondary depth is a problem. We're lucky Darrent Williams is panning out, but Champ has got to be healthy for us to go far. As much as I like Lenny Walls, he looked inconsistent in that KC game (Missed some tackles). Safeties are good against the run (that's why we looked good against SD and KC), but coverage skills are lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG AL
              But our corners arent just good at straight line speed. Guys like Champ and Dwill are quick as well. To go along with the top end speed... Saying Broncos corners arent fast is like saying Broncos linebackers arent fast. Its just not reality... Our safeties arent fast? Id agree with that... But the corners? Hell no...

My apologies.. you are correct in that our corners have good foot speed, however, we seem to get beat on plays of 20 yds + more often than would be considered acceptable.

The point is that even with Champ, I don't believe our secondary is strong enough to carry us through pass happy teams. Have we improved our chances against Peyton Manning? IMHO, every road to the superbowl will run through Indy and / or the Pats. Can we beat either of those teams in a playoff scenario with our current DB squad?

Nola

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
              ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Originally posted by NOLABroncofan
                My apologies.. you are correct in that our corners have good foot speed, however, we seem to get beat on plays of 20 yds + more often than would be considered acceptable.

The point is that even with Champ, I don't believe our secondary is strong enough to carry us through pass happy teams. Have we improved our chances against Peyton Manning? IMHO, every road to the superbowl will run through Indy and / or the Pats. Can we beat either of those teams in a playoff scenario with our current DB squad?

Nola
                If our corners are still getting beat, then I'd start looking at the safeties for the long term. Ferguson's got pretty good speed, but Lynch is old and slow. Perhaps they brought in Marques anderson to succeed him? He's played under Slowik (db coach) before...™
                This space for rent

Comment

It seems as if everyone's overall thought of the team lead right to the defense. And I guess with the two playoff blowouts we've suffered to the Colts, it's justified. I must say however, that my concern still lies in the QB position. I just don't have any faith in Plummer at all. I find myself holding my breath every time he releases the ball. Maybe we can dress him in the opposing teams' unform and then he'll be more apt to hit the guys downfield in the Broncos' jerseys.

Comment

It's all about matchups....

And I believe denver has always matched up well with the pats.....but have ALWAYS struggled with the Indy's....

Is it because of the scheme? The players? The coaches? All three?

Its prolly the same reason why corners don't excell in denver, but do with other teams....ie Tory James and Oneal.
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Last year, my main concern for the Broncos was the lack of push regarding the Defensive Line. I'm glad Shanahan made this a priority during the off season, and it appears ( at least in the short term ) that this upgrade is paying dividends. It remains to be seen how well the adopted Dawgs will perform in the long run, but I maintain high hopes.

Not sure if it's been pointed out here -or- by the media, but is anyone other than me concerned with our O-Line? The Broncos have ( in the Shanahan era at least ) predicated our entire game plan on the success of our running game. I think we're looking pretty good in the RB department, but I believe the line is suspect. They don't gel quite as well as they did when Alex Gibbs was coaching them. This coupled with the age factor ( minus George Foster ) of the entire line has me wondering if they will be able to open up holes as efficiently as they have in the past.

It remains to be seen if they have gelled well--too early in the season to draw conclusions IMO. Also, this is basically the same OL as finished the season last year--with ANOTHER 1000 yard RB from nowhere!! I don't know what age factor you are talking about--I think the only person qualifying as "ancient" would be Nalen at 34. Lepsis is 31 and had a terrific year last year in a new job (LT), Carlisle and Hamilton are 28 and Foster is 25.

I'd go so far as to say that the days of "anyone" being able to run behind our line and get a 1000 yd season are close to ( if not completely ) over. Granted, the season is young still and possibly they are still learning to click... but to me at least, it seems we are not dominating the trenches like we used to.

I'm a tad concerned with our secondary as well. Granted, Champ Bailey is a great player, and Darrent Williams appears to be an up and coming star, but I believe we will be beaten long more than a few times this year. We don't seem to have much speed at the position. Even with Champ, we seem to be suspect on occasion ( anyone remember the Cinci game? Champ got spanked imho ).

[COLOR=Red]See above.[/COLOR]
                      [SIZE=2]Speed question already answered by others. Safety coverage skills might be a problem, youth might be a problem, "gelling" might be a problem, DL pressure might be a problem, but SPEED is not a problem.[/SIZE]

Along with the D-line, I believe our LB corps is a strength this year ( possibly the best front 7 in the league ). This will definately make up for some of the weaknesses in the secondary, but will it carry us through to the play offs?

Don't take the post out of context. I still believe we are good enough to make a strong run this year, but I wouldn't rank us #1 just yet. Just wondering what ya'll are thinking.

Nola
                      [B]Biggest problem with OL is probably risk of injury to the starters.

Biggest question w/ Defense may be whether the DL can get consistent pressure on QB, while continue to limit the run, w/o blitzing.[/
                      B]
                      Last edited by WildHorse; 09-30-2005, 01:56 PM.

Comment

it seems like if a team shuts down our running game, we are totally screwed. that's why i don't like jake.

Comment

Nola
                          I agree with this. There was a great article about this in the Post today. A lot of the problems of the Broncos has been that they don't win on the road. To be a champion you have to have a good road team. And to have a good road team you have to be able to run the ball and take the opposing crowd out of the game, dominate the time of possession and rest your defense.

Only Denver is one of the WORST road teams in the NFL (for a playoff team).

Shanahan explains:

On any given Sunday, home field may be the single greatest advantage between two teams. Maybe even more than talent.

"Snap count," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "To me, that's what football has over basketball or hockey and baseball is you use the snap count. There's no snap count in the other sports. On the road in the NFL the offense can't hear the snap count, so you can't use double cadence or triple cadence, so that's where your defense gets a chance to tee off."
                          During the Elway SB years, this didn't matter so much. The Broncos just lined up with guys like LT Gary Zimmerman who were Hall of Fame caliber players or at least pro-bowl players. The other team wasn't in any doubt about what was coming, they just couldn't stop it. Right now, NONE of the line are that good.

C Tom Nalen was for years one of the top OL in the league, but he's nearing retirement, and isn't as dominating as he was.

The rest of the OL is merely adequate. George Foster is supposed to be the next great Denver OL, but he hasn't shown it so far. Notice that the Broncos were successful running to the LEFT side of the formation, i.e. Matt Lepsis's side, NOT George Foster's side. That tells me that Foster isn't doing the job over there on the right.

Now Foster is HUGE so he should be a road grater of a run-blocker. But he hasn't shown it so far.

Frankly, until this team shows the ability to win a tough game on the road, like in Jacksonville, it will be clear that they are no better than last year, maybe not even as good.

Take a look at the road record from the Shanahan era:

Year Home Road

2005 2-0 0-1
                          2004 6-2 4-4
                          2003 6-2 4-4
                          2002 5-3 4-4
                          2001 6-2 2-6
                          2000 6-2 5-3
                          1999 3-5 3-5
                          1998 8-0 6-2
                          1997 8-0 4-4
                          1996 8-0 5-3
                          1995 6-2 2-6

Totals 64-18 39-42

Most teams are better at home, but this is just a gaping chasm! Even the first SB year, they were only 5-3 on the road!

Any year they lost more than 2 games at home, they missed the playoffs. This year, the team needs to do better than 4-4 on the road to have any chance to advance in the playoffs.
                          Last edited by Cugel; 09-30-2005, 02:52 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X