Rod Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Smith

I want to see everbody's thoughts on rod making it to 1,000 career receptions, i think he has a good shot because right now he has 629 so he needs 371 more, now alot of people say he had an off year i say no, he did have 74 catches & if he was to play 5 more years & average at that he would get there, i would love to see that, rod is a hell of a guy.
    sigpic

Re: Rod Smith

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
    I want to see everbody's thoughts on rod making it to 1,000 career receptions, i think he has a good shot because right now he has 629 so he needs 371 more, now alot of people say he had an off year i say no, he did have 74 catches & if he was to play 5 more years & average at that he would get there, i would love to see that, rod is a hell of a guy.
    That would make him 37, I think. It woudl be great, but highly unlikey. To average 74 receptions at that age, you have to be Jerry Rice. And how often does a guy lilke that come along.....

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Re: Re: Rod Smith

Originally posted by Jared
      That would make him 37, I think. It woudl be great, but highly unlikey. To average 74 receptions at that age, you have to be Jerry Rice. And how often does a guy lilke that come along.....
      well i know he is not jerry rice but he does still appear to be in very good condition & i think that is the key, he will get his share of catches
      sigpic

Comment

I think Rod at best has two years left, and that is with time and Balls being split between Lellie who should have more balls & the 3rd WR. Rod's a clutch player, but he is getting a little older and slower.
        The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
          I think Rod at best has two years left, and that is with time and Balls being split between Lellie who should have more balls & the 3rd WR. Rod's a clutch player, but he is getting a little older and slower.
          true lelie will get more but it is possible for both to have big years, remember it was just a few years back that both rod & eddy had over 100 catches
          sigpic

Comment

Smith getting slower? Hell no. Look at Eddy. Hes been around for a minute and he aint slower then he was. You can say he is, or think he is, but he aint. Trust me. He aint, its there job to get faster in the off season, if anything, there getting faster with every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
              God no, AT BEST Rod has many more than 2 years. I'd say up to 4, he's a great athlete. My 2 cents, he's not gonna make the 1000 recep list..... but i could be wrong
              Remember kids, being a grammar Nazi makes you cool!

Comment

As long as our offense revolves around Portis and the running game, Smith probably won't have the opportunity for that many catches. Plus, we'll probably try to develop younger wideouts in the coming years.
                Fending off Chefs left and right since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Joe
                  Smith getting slower? Hell no. Look at Eddy. Hes been around for a minute and he aint slower then he was. You can say he is, or think he is, but he aint. Trust me. He aint, its there job to get faster in the off season, if anything, there getting faster with every year.
                  Sorry to break it to you hun, but Eddie is getting older and not neccessarily "slower" but more injury prone. He hasn't been making his acrobatic catches lately...

Rod has been picking up the slack from his team members, but he can only stick around for *so* long. I don't know if he can get 1000 by the time he leaves us.

Comment

All the talk about speed and the greatest rec. of all time was by no means fast. (rice) Percise route running and sharp cuts make great recievers. Boldin fell way down in the draft cause they said he was too slow. Rod and Eddie still have some game left in them, it ain't time to put them out to pasture for awhile.

Comment

Re: Rod Smith

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
                      Off year....blah!

He is more than a reciever...he's a blocker and a part-time punt returner!

I remember when Smith was on the Broncos lineup, he was a Kickoff Retuner a well.

BUT...look at Jake's numbers and all of our backups....we couldn't get the ball to Smith! He'll get 100....and he'll get it in 4 more years! I hope he has a party like Tim Brown did.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

I too think Smith is a classy man and would love to see him get his catches and get to that milestone. The only problem I see with him getting to this plateau is that he is on a run oriented offense.
                        *He averages 70 catches per year and without the 2000 and 2001 campaign he would only average 60 catches per season. *The last 2 years with Portis his numbers have declined. Some of that you can say is because of Griese last year and Plummer being hurt this year.
                        *Bottom line is with a good running back Shanahan isn't going to use his WRs as much.
                        *Look what Smith did during the "Real" Davis years 95-98, he avg. 44 catches per year and again I know that was his first 4 years. But look at it with open eyes. If the power in your Offense is rushing then your receivers numbers will suffer, if its passing then your RBs numbers suffer.
                        *Look at your top receivers most of them are on teams with no running game. Holt is an exception because Faulk was out a lot this year. Carolina is the only team that had a Receiver and Running Back in the top 10 in both Receptions and Rush attempts.

Yes I am a die-hard Chiefs fan but I like classy players and Smith has always been one. When Rod leaves your organization will lose a lot more then just a good WR.
                        Never take life seriously.
                        Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by LLChiefsFan
                          I too think Smith is a classy man and would love to see him get his catches and get to that milestone. The only problem I see with him getting to this plateau is that he is on a run oriented offense.
                          *He averages 70 catches per year and without the 2000 and 2001 campaign he would only average 60 catches per season. *The last 2 years with Portis his numbers have declined. Some of that you can say is because of Griese last year and Plummer being hurt this year.
                          *Bottom line is with a good running back Shanahan isn't going to use his WRs as much.
                          *Look what Smith did during the "Real" Davis years 95-98, he avg. 44 catches per year and again I know that was his first 4 years. But look at it with open eyes. If the power in your Offense is rushing then your receivers numbers will suffer, if its passing then your RBs numbers suffer.
                          *Look at your top receivers most of them are on teams with no running game. Holt is an exception because Faulk was out a lot this year. Carolina is the only team that had a Receiver and Running Back in the top 10 in both Receptions and Rush attempts.

Yes I am a die-hard Chiefs fan but I like classy players and Smith has always been one. When Rod leaves your organization will lose a lot more then just a good WR.

Well said
                          especially that last part

The best description of Rod Smith is that he is a FOOTBALL PLAYER
                          not just a Reciever. He is a team guy and WILL do what is needed to help the team. He doesn't care about stats or flash or any of that nonsense. He is a great role model and a leader in the locker room. Young receivers need to look to him to see how it's done. I would take and old Rod over a young Owens or Keyshawn any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Comment

He very well could get to 1,000 career receptions because of:

1. His work ethic and off season conditioning. That will keep him around for a long time, unless having a major injury.

2. He is the go-to- guy for Jake in clutch situations. He has the confidence that has been developed.

3. He wants to lead by example, what better way to lead then to break records and be the one that is open for the possession catches.

4. He has a love for the game and a heart that loves football. As long as he has that he will push himself to be the BEST.
                            Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Even with a running game rod will still get his fair share of receptions, he is a clutch player and shanny knows that, weather he can reach 1000 receptions is ultimately up to how long he feels like playing and weather or not he stays healthy in the years he has left, but i wouldnt rule out the chance of him getting that milestone

Comment

Working...
                              X