Rod Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdslick
    While Jerry Rice didn't ever have "world class" sprinters speed, he was quite fast. Rice was the total package, speed, hands, routes, perfect size and brains. He still holds his own today at 41 years old.

Rod Smith won't get 1000 receptions. So what.
    rice was pretty quick at the time...especially in 89....the man was lightning speed!

So I think he's hanging on a little too long.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

As much as I am a fan of Rod Smith him getting to 1,000 receptions is doubtful on a team that predicates is passing scheme off of play action.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by LLChiefsFan
        I too think Smith is a classy man and would love to see him get his catches and get to that milestone. The only problem I see with him getting to this plateau is that he is on a run oriented offense.
        *He averages 70 catches per year and without the 2000 and 2001 campaign he would only average 60 catches per season. *The last 2 years with Portis his numbers have declined. Some of that you can say is because of Griese last year and Plummer being hurt this year.
        *Bottom line is with a good running back Shanahan isn't going to use his WRs as much.
        *Look what Smith did during the "Real" Davis years 95-98, he avg. 44 catches per year and again I know that was his first 4 years. But look at it with open eyes. If the power in your Offense is rushing then your receivers numbers will suffer, if its passing then your RBs numbers suffer.
        *Look at your top receivers most of them are on teams with no running game. Holt is an exception because Faulk was out a lot this year. Carolina is the only team that had a Receiver and Running Back in the top 10 in both Receptions and Rush attempts.

Yes I am a die-hard Chiefs fan but I like classy players and Smith has always been one. When Rod leaves your organization will lose a lot more then just a good WR.
        what kind of quote is that supposed to be if youy take away these 2 years he goes from 70 catches a year to 60, well if you wanna do things that way let's take away his first 2 years & now his average would be 87 catches a year here are his numbers for you since you think he's slowing down '97 - 70rec. '98 -86rec. '99 - 79rec. '00 - 100rec. '01 - 113 rec. '02 - 89 rec. '03 - 74rec. & i didn't include the first 2 years because he started just 2 games & played in only 26 total so if you want to take 2 years away there it is pal & for those who think since portis has come in & rod has suffered well there you go as well 89 & 74 by my count that is a average of 81.
        sigpic

Comment

OK now that every one has an arugement on Rod reaching the 1000 catch mark, what do you think his chances are of making the HoF? Are they much better if he reaches the milestone or does he even come close to getting a sniff???
          Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

Nah they won't even look at him...Why? Because he's a Bronco.

I know I'm surprised that Elway is going in (not that I don't think that he shouldn't be there) and I'll be even more surprised if Zimmerman doesn't get cut after this round.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzy_osbourne
              OK now that every one has an arugement on Rod reaching the 1000 catch mark, what do you think his chances are of making the HoF? Are they much better if he reaches the milestone or does he even come close to getting a sniff???
              i think he will get there but it most likely take a little while, he probably won't go right away.
              sigpic

Comment

Re: Rod Smith

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA
                I want to see everbody's thoughts on rod making it to 1,000 career receptions, i think he has a good shot because right now he has 629 so he needs 371 more, now alot of people say he had an off year i say no, he did have 74 catches & if he was to play 5 more years & average at that he would get there, i would love to see that, rod is a hell of a guy.
                i would liek to see it, but i dont think it will happen, rod needs 74 catches each of the next 5 years? naw i dont think he will do that. you can even tell he is getting a little older already
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I hope he can reach this milestone but I wouldn't count on it. I wish he could get some of Rice's DNA. Rod is clutch but I thought Shannon was more Jake's go-to guy this year. A combination of his stats and intangibles makes him deserving of a spot in the HOF. But he probably won't make it. As BeerGirl said, he's a Bronco. The team and players get little to no respect from the media and the HOF class is voted upon by the media. He's like Eddy. Talent, modest stats, leadership, a great team player. Unless you are an offensive lineman, those things never get you anywhere.
                  Sprite? Good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down with?

Comment

Originally posted by broncosbeast
                    I hope he can reach this milestone but I wouldn't count on it. I wish he could get some of Rice's DNA. Rod is clutch but I thought Shannon was more Jake's go-to guy this year. A combination of his stats and intangibles makes him deserving of a spot in the HOF. But he probably won't make it. As BeerGirl said, he's a Bronco. The team and players get little to no respect from the media and the HOF class is voted upon by the media. He's like Eddy. Talent, modest stats, leadership, a great team player. Unless you are an offensive lineman, those things never get you anywhere.
                    yeah i doubt he will make it to 1000 catches, but even if he did, i'm almost SURE he wouldnt get into the hall of fame, he just isnt recoginized enough to be considered a hall of fame guy. He is an underground WR and he is fine with it.
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

HOF and 1,000?

I don't think that Rod Smith will get to 1,000 catches, just my opinion, although I'd love to see it happen. Also for HoF chances just take a look at Art Monk for the Redskins. One of the greatest receivers the Redskins have ever had, and he won a couple superbowls too, had around 800 catches. Guess what? He isn't in the HoF yet, although I think he will be eventually. I see a parallel between him and Rod Smith. I hope he does, because it would highlight what has been a phenomenal career for a player that wasn't even drafted. I'm rooting for him....

Comment

No chance on the 1000 or the HOF. He is one of the best and most consitent receivers around, but he doesn't get the recogniton of Owens, Harrison and the like.
                        The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Re: HOF and 1,000?

Originally posted by O&B_Forever
                          I don't think that Rod Smith will get to 1,000 catches, just my opinion, although I'd love to see it happen. Also for HoF chances just take a look at Art Monk for the Redskins. One of the greatest receivers the Redskins have ever had, and he won a couple superbowls too, had around 800 catches. Guess what? He isn't in the HoF yet, although I think he will be eventually. I see a parallel between him and Rod Smith. I hope he does, because it would highlight what has been a phenomenal career for a player that wasn't even drafted. I'm rooting for him....
                          Part of Monk's problem is that he openly disliked the media and never talked to them and *****ed about them. Guess who votes players in? Unfair? yes. But such is life. He definitely deserves to get in.

Smith probably won't, not unless he plays at a superior level in his later years like James Lofton and Jerry Rice.
                          Last edited by Jared; 01-29-2004, 12:07 AM.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                          You should check these guys out

Comment

Not surprised in the sense of "He's not good enough" to be in...just in the fact that the HOF people have not discriminated against him.

Pluto? C'mon give me a little credit...

Comment

Originally posted by jdslick
                              In reality, Rod Smith is nowhere close to being a Hall of Famer. C'mon, get real.

I just don't believe that you really think that the Broncos are the victims of some conspiracy to keep them out of the HOF.
                              Elway was a no-brainer pick for the HOF by the time he was in his 6th or 7th year in the league.
                              As much as I don't want to agree with you I do. He will go down as one of the great ones in Broncos history but not the NFL. I would have to say that one guy who does deserve HOF recognition is Randy Gradishar, he holds the record for most seasons of 200 or more tackles in 10 straight seasons.
                              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

In my bronco era, it has to be Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe....

Those 3 you mentioned...never saw a snap they played...

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                                2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Working...
                                X