Rod Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdslick
    I think Gradishar will eventually get in, he was one of the top linebackers of his day. I'm not sure if I would call Rod Smith one the greatest Bronco receivers. I still think he has a way to go to get into the Steve Watson class. If you only look at numbers of catches, he's the greatest Bronco receiver of all time, but I think you need to look at more than just stats. Steve Watson, Lionell Taylor and Haven Moses were all considered some of the best of their time. Back in their day, receivers didn't pile up the huge number of catches like they do today. The game was more of a run oriented power game then. Those three I just mentioned should be considered the top Bronco receivers of all time IMO.
    Fair enough. Watson and Moses were possesion receiver, Taylor I'm not sure. Rod from the stand point of being a deep threat I think has been one of the best in Broncos history. Rick Upchurch who is only other legit deep threat that I can think of in Broncos history and he was not very consistant receiver. He was something watch returning punts but as a receiver he just was not that good. Rod in the early part of his career was pretty consistant. So looking at it from that point I think He has been one of the best in Broncos history imho.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I don't like the term posession receiver.
      I think that means they are "sure-handed" and moves the chains...while there are "deep threats" and "route runners"

I dunno....I like the term.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

A possesion receiver is a receiver who moves the chain like a work-horse half-back; they're also usually the bigger receiver, 6'+ receivers and weigh more. These kind of receivers are your 3rd-down receivers and usually go-to guys. A good Bronco example of a possesion receiver is Ed McCaffrey. The guy has (or had) good speed but its his hands that has made him famous; he's the guy you look for in the clutch as they are more aware of the ball.

A speed receiver would be somebody like James Thrash of the Eagles. These kind of receivers are the receivers who will probably burn your DBs a few times but drop more passes than a possesion receiver. These, to me, are just average receivers who usually lack in size.

A balanced receiver it the best you can get, guys like Rod Smith in his prime, Randy Moss etc. are these. Randy Moss is a prime example; the man is a beast: extremely fast, athletic, and aware.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
        - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
          In my bronco era, it has to be Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe....

Those 3 you mentioned...never saw a snap they played...
          Taylor, Moses were probably before you were born, Watson I would venture to say was before you were old enough want to watch football.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I don't like the term posession receiver. What is a posession receiver? One who catches a ball which was thrown to him? One who catches a ball in a crowd and is hit and dropped immediately? One who catches a ball on the sidelines and steps out of bounds? Haven Moses had no problems getting deep and neither did Watson. Taylor and Moses played in an era when teams ran the ball first. Coaches back then thought that only three rhings happen when you pass the ball and two of them are bad. Rod Smith plays in an era where offenses throw the ball on any down in any situation. Those old school guys I mentioned would put up staggering numbers in todays high output offenses.
            Posession receiver isn't one who is deep threat. Watson wasn't by any means a burner, but he was clutch when Denver needed to keep the chains moving. Moses was very much the same from what I remember.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Possession WR is a 3rd down WR basically, they are big and wont get jammed easily so they are almost sure to be there when you throw it and have sure hands and will take the hit for the team. definition of ed mccaffrey, we need another one now, they say it is Nate Jackson for us.
              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I personally was a Michael Young fan.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

I think Gradishar will eventually get in, he was one of the top linebackers of his day. I'm not sure if I would call Rod Smith one the greatest Bronco receivers. I still think he has a way to go to get into the Steve Watson class. If you only look at numbers of catches, he's the greatest Bronco receiver of all time, but I think you need to look at more than just stats. Steve Watson, Lionell Taylor and Haven Moses were all considered some of the best of their time. Back in their day, receivers didn't pile up the huge number of catches like they do today. The game was more of a run oriented power game then. Those three I just mentioned should be considered the top Bronco receivers of all time IMO.
                  Wow, so the broncos aren't more of a running team these days? I guess we all must just have imagined all these 1,000 plus rushing seasons the last 8 or 9 years by 4 different backs mind you & just for the record check half the other post & many of them say rod won't make it to 1,000 because we are more of a run team so you tell me?
                  sigpic

Comment

In my mind, Rod Smith will retire after next year if he thinks the team is set at WR. If Lelie doesn't come through I'm sure he'll stay another year but not any longer; the guy is 33 or 34, that is very old for a WR.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                    - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                      In my mind, Rod Smith will retire after next year if he thinks the team is set at WR. If Lelie doesn't come through I'm sure he'll stay another year but not any longer; the guy is 33 or 34, that is very old for a WR.
                      Rod Smith old? Jerry rice is old... Rod still has some use... a sure fire ring of fame canidate... maybe even a HoF???
                      Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

In case you haven't noticed, receivers in the 60s and 70s had a huge year if they caught more than 50 or 55 passes in a season. Now, a receiver with 55 catches on a season is considered mediocre. Today it is common for guys to get more than 100 catches a season. Run oriented teams still have WRs getting 80 or 90 on the year. Just like all sports, the game of football has changed over the years.

Is the benchmark for a great RB still 1000 yards? With 16 regular season games, 1000 yards isn't such a big deal. That's an average of 63 yards a game. The 16 game season is one reason receivers get more catches, but run the numbers. A receiver with 100 catches or better averages 6 or more receptions a game. That's more impressive than 63 yards.
                        1000 is not considered the successful year any more for us, it is 1500+ which we have achived, Portis had that in only 12 games. In the other 4 griffin and anderson have taken the load, we didnt switch to passing attack, we are a running team. any team with a 100 catch receiver had no dominant running game that year, PERIOD.
                        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava
                          1000 is not considered the successful year any more for us, it is 1500+ which we have achived, Portis had that in only 12 games. In the other 4 griffin and anderson have taken the load, we didnt switch to passing attack, we are a running team. any team with a 100 catch receiver had no dominant running game that year, PERIOD.
                          Yea, I would still like to see an upgrade in our passing attack though. As I have said a thousand times- We need Ash to step it up this coming year.

Comment

In case you haven't noticed, receivers in the 60s and 70s had a huge year if they caught more than 50 or 55 passes in a season. Now, a receiver with 55 catches on a season is considered mediocre. Today it is common for guys to get more than 100 catches a season. Run oriented teams still have WRs getting 80 or 90 on the year. Just like all sports, the game of football has changed over the years.

Is the benchmark for a great RB still 1000 yards? With 16 regular season games, 1000 yards isn't such a big deal. That's an average of 63 yards a game. The 16 game season is one reason receivers get more catches, but run the numbers. A receiver with 100 catches or better averages 6 or more receptions a game. That's more impressive than 63 yards.
                            Very good point about the 1000 yards. A running back only has to average 63 yards a game to get to a 1000 yards in a 16 game season.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Just like I said, check the Rams. When they had Marshall Faulk running for 1300 and 1400 yards, they still had receivers getting 80 or 90 receptions a year. You need to read an entire quote, don't just read little bits and pieces and respond.
                              well if faulk had 1300 or 1400 yards and their WR had 80 or 90, but we run for 2000+ and our WR gets 74, what are you trying to say? We are a dominant run team, like best in the league dominant, how could we have a 80 or 90 WR if we rn so much? Besides that we have more than 1 good option at WR/TE

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Just like I said, check the Rams. When they had Marshall Faulk running for 1300 and 1400 yards, they still had receivers getting 80 or 90 receptions a year. You need to read an entire quote, don't just read little bits and pieces and respond.
                                He does that alot JD.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                                X