Can anyone confirm this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone confirm this?

A redskin fan told me that the hall of fame game will be Broncos vs the Redskins.... That would be great for those of us going out to see Johnny boy get inducted.

Re: Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by GSRelyea
    A redskin fan told me that the hall of fame game will be Broncos vs the Redskins.... That would be great for those of us going out to see Johnny boy get inducted.
    You know, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Broncos play the Hall of Fame game in 2004 and wear throwback uniforms!

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

I don't think the Broncos have ever played in the HOF game have they??

If not, then this would be a fitting first time.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

They played in the early 90's against the Lions....

weird!

Elway and Sanders were in that game.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
        2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

I stand corrected.
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I was guessing that it would be Broncos - Lions for the HOF game. Why the Redskins?
            Sprite? Good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down with?

Comment

It was in an article the other day on DPO, they haven't confirmed it but it should be the Broncos vs Redskins. Celebrating John Elway and the return of Gibbs. The hall in recent years likes to play the teams of the players being inducted. The exception being Houston two years ago.
              The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
                It was in an article the other day on DPO, they haven't confirmed it but it should be the Broncos vs Redskins. Celebrating John Elway and the return of Gibbs. The hall in recent years likes to play the teams of the players being inducted. The exception being Houston two years ago.
                Sure but Barry Sanders was inducted also. So why not the Lions and the Broncos?

Of course I am not sure which would be the most exciting games. I think both of those would be "yawners" with the Broncos comfortably winning either one.
                Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

I can't confirm your question.. but It'd be nifty to watch. We don't play much in the HoF game.... but man, we sure have the American bowl locked up quite often. Denver has a huge fanbase in China and Austraila I hear.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
                  ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

Broncos to get spot in Fame game

Gibbs' Redskins likely opponents

By Adam Schefter
                    Denver Post Sports Writer

HOUSTON - Nearly paired before the 1991 season, Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway and new Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs are expected to be brought together in August on a blockbuster weekend.

The Broncos will be selected to play in the Monday night, Aug. 9 Hall of Fame game, NFL and team officials confirmed Saturday.

Those same officials said Denver's most likely opponent will not be Barry Sanders' former Detroit Lions team, but Washington.

The league thinks a matchup pitting the team Elway played for against Gibbs in his first game back as Redskins coach will cap the weekend.

"Maybe we can get John to come back and make a cameo appearance, too," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen joked.

Some had speculated the Broncos would be invited to play in their first Hall of Fame game since the 1991 season, when they met Detroit. Much of the speculation centered on a Broncos-Lions matchup.

But despite Saturday's selection of Sanders to the Hall of Fame, the league is more intent on inviting Washington.

"Is that right?" a surprised Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Saturday when he learned of the news.

"Good, good. That'll be special. I think our whole football team will enjoy playing them, especially since we don't play them in the regular season, too, which makes it nice."

Since the 2000 season, when the NFL stopped rotating teams into the Hall of Fame game, the league has attempted to try to schedule teams that had players being enshrined that weekend.

In 2000, on the weekend former San Francisco quarterback Joe Montana was inducted, the NFL scheduled San Francisco to play New England.

In 2001, on the weekend former Miami linebacker Nick Buoniconti and former Los Angeles Rams offensive tackle Jackie Slater were inducted, the Dolphins played the St. Louis Rams.

In 2002, the league turned over Hall of Fame weekend to the expansion Houston Texans. But last summer, on the weekend that former Kansas City running back Marcus Allen and coach Hank Stram, along with former Green Bay wide receiver James Lofton, were inducted, the Chiefs played the Packers.

This will not be the first time Elway and Gibbs have been linked. Before the 1991 season, Gibbs' Redskins made a major play to trade for Elway. The trade, as Elway later learned, came close to being completed.

And in Super Bowl XXII, Gibbs' Redskins defeated Elway and the Broncos 42-10.

But now Elway's team will be in Canton, Ohio, and Gibbs' team is expected to join in.

"It would be fantastic," said former Broncos general manager John Beake, now the NFL's vice president of football operations. "When you have somebody like John Elway going in, and his team is playing in the game, it just ties it all together to make it a great event."

The Broncos are finalizing their 2004 preseason schedule, but they know it will include a home game in late August against the Arizona Cardinals.

Comment

Adam Schefter is a pretty credible source. He does not write things off the top of his head.

Looks like Broncos and Redskins. I still think it will be a "yawner".
                      Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Preseason = All yawners

Comment

Yeh but I'll be there to make it exciting LOL

Comment

You going to be the halftime show?

Comment

LOL so long as Justin doesn't rip off half my shirt...Sure, why not?

Comment

Working...
                              X