Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, who do you put on Moss?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So, who do you put on Moss?

    The bye week is nice because there's a chance that Champ's hamstring will be healed enough to play full speed. But those hamstrings are tricky injuries for the speedy players. Champ could probably use a full month off to let it heal to the point that he won't be constantly tweaking it.

    We saw what happens when Champ tries to play with his less than 100% hamstring against a premium receiver. And now comes Moss. Love him or hate him, the guy is a great receiver. Whoever covers him will obviously need help to keep him under control. But it's still a big decision as to who has the main responsibility for covering Moss.

    Champ, as mentioned, will probably still not be 100% when we play Oakland. I give the guy credit for not wanting the injury to sideline him but it seems the harder he plays the more likely he is to reinjure himself. And he'll have to play very hard versus Moss.

    And this is where our inexperience with the rest of our cornerbacks is going to hurt. I like our rookies but they are rookies. Do we really want any of them covering Moss?

    Some people place a huge emphasis on the height of the corners. Well, now that Walls is gone, we have only two 6 footers, Champ and Paymah. Darrent Williams actually gives up 8 inches to Moss.

    So, what do you think? A less than 100% Bailey? Super-athletic but shorter Williams? Our less flashy but more polished rookie nickelback Foxworth? Our other 6 footer (and the only healthy one) but very raw rookie Paymah? Or dare I even mention our only other non-rookie corner Roc Alexander?

    And don't forget we still have to cover Jerry Porter. So, what's your coverage scheme?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

  • #2
    Originally posted by Javalon
    The bye week is nice because there's a chance that Champ's hamstring will be healed enough to play full speed. But those hamstrings are tricky injuries for the speedy players. Champ could probably use a full month off to let it heal to the point that he won't be constantly tweaking it.

    We saw what happens when Champ tries to play with his less than 100% hamstring against a premium receiver. And now comes Moss. Love him or hate him, the guy is a great receiver. Whoever covers him will obviously need help to keep him under control. But it's still a big decision as to who has the main responsibility for covering Moss.

    Champ, as mentioned, will probably still not be 100% when we play Oakland. I give the guy credit for not wanting the injury to sideline him but it seems the harder he plays the more likely he is to reinjure himself. And he'll have to play very hard versus Moss.

    And this is where our inexperience with the rest of our cornerbacks is going to hurt. I like our rookies but they are rookies. Do we really want any of them covering Moss?

    Some people place a huge emphasis on the height of the corners. Well, now that Walls is gone, we have only two 6 footers, Champ and Paymah. Darrent Williams actually gives up 8 inches to Moss.

    So, what do you think? A less than 100% Bailey? Super-athletic but shorter Williams? Our less flashy but more polished rookie nickelback Foxworth? Our other 6 footer (and the only healthy one) but very raw rookie Paymah? Or dare I even mention our only other non-rookie corner Roc Alexander?

    And don't forget we still have to cover Jerry Porter. So, what's your coverage scheme?

    first off.....what happened to Walls?


    second....I dont want Champ to aggrevate his injury even more. he should sit out this game. I know the rookie corners are a risk but they are all we have. I say Darrent or Foxworth covering him....and whoever doesnt on Jerry Porter.

    very scary yes.....but thats all we have


    good luck rookies...you guys have surprised us this year with how you have been able to step into the starting role and do well this early. I have faith in you guys
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      im confident that bailey will be able to cover him just fine....but thats just my opinion

      besides we have a great d-line now.....so pressure should help alot
      "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

      sigpic
      -The best in the business-

      Comment


      • #4
        Champ only if 100%.

        If not, put Foxworth because he is bigger than Williams and put lots of pressure on Collins like we did McNabb so he has no time to find anyone. I am sure they will have some help over the top

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TDforTatum26
          first off.....what happened to Walls?
          Errr... You haven't been around here lately, eh? If you had you would have seen all the controversy caused by the fact that Walls has essentially been released. For better or worse, Big Swat has gotten the Big Boot.

          second....I dont want Champ to aggrevate his injury even more. he should sit out this game. I know the rookie corners are a risk but they are all we have. I say Darrent or Foxworth covering him....and whoever doesnt on Jerry Porter.
          Well, that's the question. Which one do you put on him and why?
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I think we're going to have to double cover Moss reguardless if Bailey covers him or not or is 100% or not. That being the case, we might as well put Bailey on Porter and have Moss double covered by our other guys.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't know that without Champ you put any one guy on Moss. You have to respect him and double him a lot. Even if Champ plays, I still think you give him some saftey help.

              Williams and Foxworth are having great rookie season, but I think a player of Moss' caliber will just beat them in the long run. But you also can't forget about Porter on the other side. This will be yet another test for our secondary, but like always, it all begins up front. If we can get pressure w/o having to send the house every play, we will have more sucess.
              Where does the abuse of end? Where?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Atwater His Ass
                I don't know that without Champ you put any one guy on Moss.

                There are a lot of teams that have played the Raiders this year and they don't have a Champ. It can be done if he doesn't play.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                  Champ only if 100%.

                  If not, put Foxworth because he is bigger than Williams and put lots of pressure on Collins like we did McNabb so he has no time to find anyone. I am sure they will have some help over the top
                  Oh yeah, rattling Collins will be essential. He is prone to mistakes but can get hot if given time.

                  As to your putting Foxworth on Moss, Williams is second on our depth chart at cornerback. I take it you are a believer in the height issue with Williams? Foxworth is only 5'11" which is still 5 inches shorter than Moss. Do you think the extra 3" he has over Williams will make that big a difference? (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.)
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Javalon
                    Oh yeah, rattling Collins will be essential. He is prone to mistakes but can get hot if given time.

                    As to your putting Foxworth on Moss, Williams is second on our depth chart at cornerback. I take it you are a believer in the height issue with Williams? Foxworth is only 5'11" which is still 5 inches shorter than Moss. Do you think the extra 3" he has over Williams will make that big a difference? (I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.)

                    I think Fox has a little more bulk to handle the size of Moss. The height issue hasn't been an issue so far this year, so hopefully it stays that way.

                    I still wouldn't count out Williams though, he is a scrappy little fella.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Problem we had last year was that Porter torched Bailey for 2 or 3 Td's and that was when Champ had a good hammy. Throw Moss in the mix and we are asking a lot from our rookie Cb's, esp if we don't get a lot of pressure or sacks on Collins.
                      The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Elway
                        Problem we had last year was that Porter torched Bailey for 2 or 3 Td's and that was when Champ had a good hammy. Throw Moss in the mix and we are asking a lot from our rookie Cb's, esp if we don't get a lot of pressure or sacks on Collins.

                        So far our game planning has been stellar this year. I am sure with two weeks to come up with situations, the coaches will come up with something. Plus, Moss hasn't exactly been torching secondaries so far this year, so someone is keeping him in check.

                        I think I might be more worried about their running back ( name slips me ) and their ability to run the screen, something we haven't defended to well this year.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Javalon
                          Errr... You haven't been around here lately, eh? If you had you would have seen all the controversy caused by the fact that Walls has essentially been released. For better or worse, Big Swat has gotten the Big Boot.


                          Well, that's the question. Which one do you put on him and why?

                          lol yes I havent been on since the weekend....so I missed that news.



                          why'd we cut him?



                          I would put Foxworth....he has alittle more height on Moss, and he seems to create more TO's than Darrent....plus Darrent might be a little worn out from playing special teams...


                          of course we wouldnt be dumb enough to leave Moss in single coverage with a rookie....so Brandon or Ferguson helping either Darrent or Foxworth would be ok with me. I dont want Champ to get hurt more....
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                            There are a lot of teams that have played the Raiders this year and they don't have a Champ. It can be done if he doesn't play.
                            My point is that even with Champ, you are going to need to doulbe Moss. No **** people beat the Raiders w/o a guy like Champ.
                            Where does the abuse of end? Where?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                              I think Fox has a little more bulk to handle the size of Moss. The height issue hasn't been an issue so far this year, so hopefully it stays that way.

                              I still wouldn't count out Williams though, he is a scrappy little fella.
                              Actually, Williams is 8 pounds heavier than Foxworth. So, he might be shorter but he has the edge when it comes to bulk, and he's actually a little faster and has a higher vertical leap than Foxworth.

                              Hmm....
                              "You can't take the sky from me..."
                              ------
                              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X