What happened to Red Miller???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Red Miller???

Anybody ever hear anything about him nowadays? What about Craig Morton, Otis Armstrong or Randy Gradisher??

Just was wonderin'.

Good question.

I know that Gradishar still lives in Denver still does alot of charity events. Earlier this year, I think it was the News that had an article about him going to Iraq to visit the troops.

Morton lives in Arizona and is a voter in the new college football Harris poll.

Armstrong lives in Englewood and is involved in vitamin supplement sales.

Not sure about Miller.

Miller may have been the most underrated coach ever in this town.
    Last edited by thesaint; 11-09-2005, 07:34 AM.

Quick: I haven't had my ass whipped in a while. Probably been since like...1911?
    Sugar Ray: Yeah, thats when you were born and the doctor slapped you on the ass.
    Quick: Yes, thats the last ass whipping I recall. And I'm looking for him.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint

Miller may have been the most underrated coach ever in this town.
      Boy isn't that the truth!!!!!!! Among those of us who have been watching this team for awhile, he is known to be one of the greats, but too many people forget there were a whole lot of Broncos games before John Elway came to Denver. I would put him just behind Shanny in the list of our best coaches, with Wade Phillips being a close 3rd of course

As for where he is now, I truly have no idea but hopefully someone with better internet expertise than me will find out because I am interested also.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
        Boy isn't that the truth!!!!!!! Among those of us who have been watching this team for awhile, he is known to be one of the greats, but too many people forget there were a whole lot of Broncos games before John Elway came to Denver. I would put him just behind Shanny in the list of our best coaches, with Wade Phillips being a close 3rd of course

As for where he is now, I truly have no idea but hopefully someone with better internet expertise than me will find out because I am interested also.

Wade Phillips ahead of Dan reaves???

Comment

Actually, though Miller took the Broncos to the Super Bowl in the 1977 season, he did so primarily with John Ralston's team. He was a good coach, yes, but I don't believe he merits 2nd place.

Shanny should be first, IMO, because, besides his Super Bowls, he has had winning teams most of his years here (the last 6 1/2 of which were without Elway). Following him would be Reeves, who fielded six playoff teams, including, of course, the three Super Bowl teams.

Then would come Ralston, who, as I mentioned, was responsible for most of the players on that Super Bowl team, and who gave Denver its first winning season in 1973 (7-5-2) and whose Broncos went 9-5 in 1976, the year preceding the first Super Bowl year. Yes, Ralston left after a near mutiny of players because they wanted a better on-field coach, but he was a master at assembling talent. Then, of course, would come Miller.

Phillips? I don't think so. He had a 9-7 season from a team leftover from the Reeves era, which plummeted to 7-9 the year after that. It took Shanny a year to recover from Phillips' disaster, as it went 8-8. Of course, Shanny had another couple rough years, but one was in 1999 (6-10), the Year of the Collapse after Elway's retirement, and 2001 (8-8), the year TD was injured and the beginning of the demise of Griese. Phillips, however, did not incur problems as severe.

P.S. Where is Red Miller now? I haven't the foggiest.

-----
          Last edited by topscribe; 11-09-2005, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
            Actually, though Miller took the Broncos to the Super Bowl in the 1977 season, he did so primarily with John Ralston's team. He was a good coach, yes, but I don't believe he merits 2nd place.

Shanny should be first, IMO, because, besides his Super Bowls, he has had winning teams most of his years here (the last 6 1/2 of which were without Elway). Following him would be Reeves, who fielded six playoff teams, including, of course, the three Super Bowl teams.

Then would come Ralston, who, as I mentioned, was responsible for most of the players on that Super Bowl team, and who gave Denver its first winning season in 1973 (7-5-2) and whose Broncos went 9-5 in 1976, the year preceding the first Super Bowl year. Yes, Ralston left after a near mutiny of players because they wanted a better on-field coach, but he was a master at assembling talent. Then, of course, would come Miller.

Phillips? I don't think so. He had a 9-7 season from a team leftover from the Reeves era, which plummeted to 7-9 the year after that. It took Shanny a year to recover from Phillips' disaster, as it went 8-8. Of course, Shanny had another couple rough years, but one was in 1999 (6-10), the Year of the Collapse after Elway's retirement, and 2001 (8-8), the year TD was injured and the beginning of the demise of Griese. Phillips, however, did not incur problems as severe.

P.S. Where is Red Miller now? I haven't the foggiest.

-----
            Great job, Top. CP for you! (when I can) I don't know what Robert "Red" Miller, "Couragous" Craig (Larry) Morton, or Armstrong have been up to recently either but, Gradishar is a Leadership Manager at Phil Long dealerships & promotes lots of charities for education-on his own & with the Broncos-incredible class act. IMO
            Oh, The Color of Orange! Ah!

Comment

Otis Armostrong was my neighbor when he played for the Broncos (in Montbello)..............
              He is the primary reason I am a broncomaniac.................
              Thanks for mentioning his name and bringing back fond memories.

Comment

Okay, here's some info . . .

As of August 2004, Red Miller was still living in Denver. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:9...+broncos&hl=en

It is kind of interesting that Miller coached the USFL Denver Gold briefly after leaving the Broncos. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:x...+broncos&hl=en

That's all the research I'm going to do. I've spent too much time on this already.

-----

Comment

I was too young to remember Red Miller (his last year being 1980 when my family moved to Colorado). But I do remember Reeves vividly and though he was very conservative, I still think he was a good coach, since he did get us to three superbowls. Wade Phillips was a nice guy but doesn't make a good head coach.
                  The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Wade Phillips?? Not as head coach. Pretty good on defense but if you're going that route, don't forget Joe Collier. I wonder what happened to Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                      As of August 2004, Red Miller was still living in Denver. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:9...+broncos&hl=en

It is kind of interesting that Miller coached the USFL Denver Gold briefly after leaving the Broncos. http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:x...+broncos&hl=en

That's all the research I'm going to do. I've spent too much time on this already.

-----
                      So did Craig Morton.
                      Oh, The Color of Orange! Ah!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                        Hopefully Cali was joking, lol.
                        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
                          Hopefully Cali was joking, lol.
                          Thank you Urinal I thought the two laughing faces after my Wade Phillips comment would clue everyone in that I was being sarcastic, but I guess not. As I have stated on here many times, there has never been, nor will there ever be, a worse Bronco coach than Wade. His teams consistently underacheived and were unprepared.

As for Miller being second, I must confess that I became a fan in '77 so I am somewhat biased (as well as ignorant to Mr.Ralston's abilities) but I will stand by my statement that he was better than Reeves. IMHO, Red got the most out of his teams (or team since I am basically referring to his SB team) while Reeves shackled his players so badly in conservatism that John had to constantly bail him out in the last 2 minutes of games.

Comment

As for Miller being second, I must confess that I became a fan in '77 so I am somewhat biased (as well as ignorant to Mr.Ralston's abilities) but I will stand by my statement that he was better than Reeves. IMHO, Red got the most out of his teams (or team since I am basically referring to his SB team) while Reeves shackled his players so badly in conservatism that John had to constantly bail him out in the last 2 minutes of games.
                            The problem with that assumption is that Reeves accumulated very good records with both the Giants and the Falcons, showing that he indeed was a very good coach, while Miller's legacy, for all intents and purposes, ended at the door. Yes, Elway's production did become more efficient after Reeves' departure. But it took a Shanahan to improve upon Reeves. It is just very difficult to ignore Reeves' three Super Bowls with the Broncos and his Super Bowl with the Falcons. Yes, he lost them all, but few coaches have even been there, let alone four times.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                              NO WAY!! I agree with you, Dan took Denver to the top, even without winning a SB! We all owe alot to Dan!
                              ~RSth Lncus [email protected] mO Po*

Its what a man knows about himself inside that makes him afraid!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X