Having 8 Sacks THus Far A Concern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having 8 Sacks THus Far A Concern?

New D-Line, lots of press on it....only 8 sacks. is that enough?

Aare other teams maximizing the protection on the Broncos? The 6-2 record indicates somethoing is going right in the defense? Are we like the Rams of 99 and just all offense and mediocre defesne?

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Originally posted by AsianOrange

Aare other teams maximizing the protection on the Broncos? The 6-2 record indicates somethoing is going right in the defense? Are we like the Rams of 99 and just all offense and mediocre defesne?
    Actually, we have 10 sacks now. But yes that is still a concern.

However, the sack total is a bit misleading. I do remember Howie Long saying durning the Giants halftime game that the Broncos actually led the league in QB pressures at the time in spite of being last in sacks.

So our defense is great at penetration, which is much better than last year, but not very good at finishing off the pressures.

It is semi-concerning when looking at the whole picture, in my opinion.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I think that our pressures on the QB are just as important as sacks. We certainly put pressure on the opposing QB. That being said... I don't see our success being due to an overpowering offense.

Comment

As long as the d-line can continue to get consistant pressure on qbs its not as great of an issue. Jav mentioned Howie Long saying we lead the League in qb pressures, he also said just last week that he'll take qb pressure over sacks anytime.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I don't mind getting sacks or pressures.... we're getting to the QB a lot more than last year. Pressures can rattle the QB and can lead to bad throws... possibly picks... I wouldn't mind getting a few sacks though.
          Thanks, Reid!
          sigpic
          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

sacks

as long as we're pressuring the quarterback, and keeping him off balance, we can live with a low sack total.
            and wasn't the 99 rams defense ranked second in the league that year?

Comment

Originally posted by ShotPutKing
              as long as we're pressuring the quarterback, and keeping him off balance, we can live with a low sack total.
              and wasn't the 99 rams defense ranked second in the league that year?
              Like a good running game wearing down a defense, if a d-line gets consistant pressure on a qb and is able knock him on his can several times he'll wear down.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                Like a good running game wearing down a defense, if a d-line gets consistant pressure on a qb and is able knock him on his can several times he'll wear down.
                Good observations. And sorry Javalon, maybe it is 10, I just read on somebody's tip sheet it was 8. 10 sacks......1 per game? We need a game where we constantly get the QB on his back with the ball.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

We need a game where we constantly get the QB on his back with the ball.
                  Or how about without the ball. QB fumbles are even better than sacks.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I would be concerned except for a couple of reasons:

We are getting good pressure in every game now and disrupting the quarterback, causing them to throw the ball away or make bad throws. We still give up some ground to the air game, but that's usually in the second half when the other team has abandoned the run.

We've gotten few sacks against teams with skilled, veteran quarterbacks. These guys are using a short drop and quick release to keep from getting sacks, but we are also messing up their third down conversion percentages in most cases. These teams have given up very few sacks to anyone. If we were playing teams that everyone else is sacking like crazy and we aren't getting sacks, I would be more concerned, but you don't sack Philadelphia, or Washington, or New England very much, which is why those teams have winning records and why our beating them says so much about our team.

Our pass rush is causing teams to go to max protect schemes to keep us from the QB. When that happens, it's harder to get to the QB but at the same time the defense has fewer potential receivers to cover.

As we go through the rest of the season and play teams that give up a number of sacks, I think you will see our sack numbers go up.

I'm not going to worry as long as we keep the pressure on the QB's and they don't have a lot of time to find an open receiver.
                    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

I look at it this way

Sacks are sure things, sure they are nice and they help you win the battle of field position and they put opponents in 3rd and longs.

Pressures are kind of more risky(for lack of a better word) they can lead to hasty throws and picks or the QB can just throw it away leaving the team with not so long 3rd downs.

Comment

Just ask Mcnabb about our pressure on the quarterback. He'd tell you if he could have gotten out of bed the day after he played the Broncos.

"I drank what?!?"

Comment

McNabb handled it like a man.. staying in the pocket to deliver the ball. Just WATCH how Collins handles pressure in his face..... he's a COMPLETE chicken!!

Comment

No!

The defense has done an exceptional job taking the run away from other teams.

Denver is 5th in the run, and teams are averaging an NFL low 21 carries a game, which is telling me there are having to turn to passing against Denver, whether it be because the offense gets an early lead, or the defense doesn't allow teams to move the ball on the ground ( I think it's a little both).

Denver is 29th against the pass, but that number is skewed because

1)teams average an NFL high 39 passing plays a game

2)the soft zone coverage the defense has played the last 4 games, where the teams have probably gained at least 70% of their passing yards because of Denver's huge leads.

Look how Denver's fairing against the pass.

- 32nd in the NFL in sacks

- 2nd in the NFL in opponent's QB completion %, which is very good

- 23rd in the NFL in passing td's allowed (because of big plays, and the soft zone coverage)

- 11th in takeaways

- 12th 3rd down % giving up

and the most important thing to understand about these stats?

Denver has played in a soft zone at least 10+ out of the 32 quarters they played, which will give up big numbers.

See Yuz.

Comment

The qb pressures allow the strength of our defense (LB's) make more plays. Teams try to run, but can't and this makes them keep another blocker or two on offense to try and establish the run and it has not worked so far. I think our line is exceeding expectations, maybe our LB's need to cause a few more fumbles.
                              A Broncos fan stuck in steeler country.

Comment

Working...
                              X