Having 8 Sacks THus Far A Concern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    The point, which you missed, is that we can't assume because Denver has dominated at home to this point that our team is immaculate. There are flaws, and the title of this thread is one of which that I perceive.
    There are flaws in evey team, and that isn't even taken adversity, something every team will face sooner or later, into consideration.

For the many negative things people keep pointing out in our DLine and what it lacks, I can point out something positive in our DLine, and something that it does very well. It works both ways. I get the assumption from some people that they think our DLIne is the worst in the NFL. It's not worse then it was last year with Reggie Hayward.

First, Hayward's ransom is cheap when compared to other DEs that average 10 sacks. Second, Hayward would have cost the same as Ian Gold, we could have still rented all these other D-linemen as well.
    Hayward's signing bonus is through the roof and heavy on the cap this year, something Denver would not have been able to afford. And without Ian Gold, we would have to work more out of a nickel package, something that wouldn not have worked very well considering our young cb's, and especially when you consider what a bust Walls turned out to be, not to even mention all the injuries in our depleted secondary.

Our front four do not get pressure by themselves on a consistent basis. You have to have talent to change your scheme. If Coyer wants pressure, he'll have to continue to blitz heavily but I expect teams will be prepared for that now. I think its safe to say that we've brought more CB and safety blitzes then any other team in the NFL to this point. I think that surprised alot of teams.
    That's actually a benefit to our defense, when the offense does not know when, or where the blitz is coming from. They can't prepare for something when they don't know when/where the attacking points are. There actually isn't alog of game planning you can do for that, that either a successful, or unsuccessful read from the QB.

See Yuz.

Comment

I can see some of your guys' opinions on sacks vs. pressure.

Yeah it would be nice to have more sacks, but some of you guys don't consider what pressure does to a QB's state of mind and confidence in his OLine. That';s something that goes unmeasured.

See Yuz.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic

Yeah it would be nice to have more sacks, but some of you guys don't consider what pressure does to a QB's state of mind and confidence in his OLine. That';s something that goes unmeasured.

See Yuz.

I agree completely, sacks are nice but getting into teh QB's head is almost as good and leads to TO's.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic

See Yuz.
          Once again, it's not simply the sack totals (or lack of them) that matters. It's how it's being generated that counts.

If you have to rush 7-9 guys to get pressure, that isn't a strategy that can last all season. As soon as O-coordinators watch that tape of Denver doing that in the Patriots and Eagles games they are going to start planning for it.

At times the Broncos brought 9-10 guys in the Eagles game. The Eagles couldn't block them all. Thus, it's up to McNabb to throw a quick strike over the middle to T.O., who is the only receiver in a pattern. Nine Eagles are back in pass-protect. He has about 1 1/2 seconds to throw it. If he comletes that pass there's a chance for a big play over the middle, because there's no safety or LB over the middle to cover it.

But, as you may have noticed, McNabb is seriously injured this year. The Eagles are 4-4 and in danger of missing the playoffs because their QB hasn't been effective all year (they also have no running attack which hurts). Maybe a healthy McNabb would have burned the Broncos all day, but the McNabb who needs abdominal surgery right now that he's postponing until after the season couldn't make the plays.

Don't count on that happening when the Broncos play the Raiders, Chiefs in KC and Bolts in SD. Somehow, the DL is going to have to generate more pressure with just the front 4. They managed to do that in the KC and Jaguars games, but not in any other games. I don't know how that's going to happen, but maybe Coyer can talk to the team again and get them to start producing.
          sigpic

Comment

The defense will gameplan for whatever is necessary in every game.

They don't send 9-10 guys every game.

They will pick the offenses weakness' and try to attack it. That's why they are the coaches and everyone here is the spectators.

I mean really, what does anyone of us really know about a coordinator or coach in the NFL, really?

Instead of saying what the defense needs to start doing, I just try to approve or disapprove. It's all we can do. None of us know more about the game then the people that actually plan it for a living.

I think it's absolutely absurd to think unopinionatedly otherwise.

See Yuz.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
              I know I've argued with you about the 'fumbles' before, kool.....

But how can an induced fumble and recovering it be coincidental?
              It's called tackling the ball. Jarring loose, the ball, with a big hit. Putting a helmet or shoulder pad into the ball.

It just doesn't decide to not want to be in the carrier's hand anymore.

Good defenses CAUSE turnovers....whether they're interceptions or fumbles.

Case in point:
              Philly against SD a couple of weeks ago.
              After Philly ran back that blocked kick to take the lead, SD was driving.
              Parker caught a long pass and was already in field goal range, but kept fighting for more yards. A philly defender came up and stripped the ball loose from him, thus ending the game.

You would call that "a chance" occurance?
              Oh, I'm sorry, I failed to clarify which part of "fumble" I leave up to chance. Forcing fumbles is a trait that can be consistent in some degree from season to season. Some players, like Julius Peppers, do an excellent job of forcing fumbles. Other players, like linebackers, also can see a consistent production of forced fumbles throughout the course of a few seasons.

Were I differ is in fumble recoveries. Recoveries are statistically proven to be fifty-fifty. Since nobody can dtermeinf the bounce of a ball, or the location as to where the ball is fumbled, how can we say with certainty that fumble recoveries are the result of good defensive play? As good a defense as Carolina is, they cannot control the direction of a bouncing ball, but what they can control, to some degree, is the amount of times an opponent puts the ball on the turf. Logically speaking, if you force more fumbles, you will recover more. Where people get off track is looking at fumble recoveries from year to year, as individual season percentages fluctuate wildly, but over the course of several seasons, fumble recoveries even out to around 50% of the total fumbles. So in this regard, no, I don't believe we can control the rate at which we recover fumbles.

Anyways, pressures and fumbles have no correlation. On the other hand, sacks and fumbles...

Comment

It has been enough so far since we are 6-2, but

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                New D-Line, lots of press on it....only 8 sacks. is that enough?

Aare other teams maximizing the protection on the Broncos? The 6-2 record indicates somethoing is going right in the defense? Are we like the Rams of 99 and just all offense and mediocre defesne?
                But I see where you are going with this. I agree. We are going to have to step it up, because it won't be enough going down the stretch. Let's hope they double their sack production during the next 8 games. Let's go for 16 or more sacks in 8 games. That would put us at 24 for the season. Would be better than what we've done.
                Emancipate your mind!
                The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                X