Should the NFL change the OT format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the NFL change the OT format?

I honestly don't like the overtime in the NFL. I think college football's is much better, because both teams have a shot at winning, it makes it more of a shootout, and it's much more exciting when the team starts at the 25 yard line.

If you could change it, would you, and what would your OT be like?

I'd make it exactly like College football's right now, except maybe start at the 50 yard line, rather than the 25
    Administrator

sigpic

I agree. I'd keep the ball at the 25 though.

It would make for a boring OT if both teams had to punt...

Quick: I haven't had my ass whipped in a while. Probably been since like...1911?
    Sugar Ray: Yeah, thats when you were born and the doctor slapped you on the ass.
    Quick: Yes, thats the last ass whipping I recall. And I'm looking for him.

Comment

Don't want the other team to score?

Play defense.
      My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

Comment

Yeah, I'd like to see them change the format to the NCAA's format. Even if they had like an 10 minute quarter, regular rules, and whoever would be on top after the 10 minutes, would win. If it was still tied, then it would be a tie. But the way the NFL has it set up now, it's exciting, yes, but it's too unfair.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosB2B
          Don't want the other team to score?

Play defense.

Defense is boring

Plus, I think the whole OT sudden death concept is boring, let it be more of a shootout....
          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

It definitely needs to be changed, and I'm fine with adopting the NCAA rules or something similar.
            Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch
              It definitely needs to be changed, and I'm fine with adopting the NCAA rules or something similar.
              I've got to admit that I don't follow NCAA, we only get pro football in the UK.

Could you give a brief explanation of the difference between the NCAA & NFL overtime?

Cheers
              The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
              BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
              You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

I don't watch college football, so others might be able to fill out and correct some of the nuances.

Essentially, each team gets a crack at scoring. One team starts on the opponent's 25 yard line. They try to score, and score whatever they can. Then, the other team gets its shot against their opponent's defense. If they each score the same amount of points after that round, they continue on rounds until someone outscored the other.

So, you can see that a coin flip is still important, as the first team sets the standard for what scoring their opponents must match or pass but the second team up knows what they need.

For instance, the first team can't make it into the endzone and scores on a field goal. The second team can tie (and thus force another overtime round) or could win and end it with a touchdown.

I like it because each team gets a shot, and each team plays both offense and defense.
                Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
                  I honestly don't like the overtime in the NFL. I think college football's is much better, because both teams have a shot at winning, it makes it more of a shootout, and it's much more exciting when the team starts at the 25 yard line.

If you could change it, would you, and what would your OT be like?

I'd make it exactly like College football's right now, except maybe start at the 50 yard line, rather than the 25
                  Nope, keep it as it is.
                  The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                    Yeah, I'd like to see them change the format to the NCAA's format. Even if they had like an 10 minute quarter, regular rules, and whoever would be on top after the 10 minutes, would win. If it was still tied, then it would be a tie. But the way the NFL has it set up now, it's exciting, yes, but it's too unfair.
                    Its to unfair? How so?

Comment

yeah i really like the college format. when a college game goes to OT i will watch the OT, even if it's two teams that suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch
                        I don't watch college football, so others might be able to fill out and correct some of the nuances.

Essentially, each team gets a crack at scoring. One team starts on the opponent's 25 yard line. They try to score, and score whatever they can. Then, the other team gets its shot against their opponent's defense. If they each score the same amount of points after that round, they continue on rounds until someone outscored the other.

So, you can see that a coin flip is still important, as the first team sets the standard for what scoring their opponents must match or pass but the second team up knows what they need.

For instance, the first team can't make it into the endzone and scores on a field goal. The second team can tie (and thus force another overtime round) or could win and end it with a touchdown.

I like it because each team gets a shot, and each team plays both offense and defense.
                        Cheers for that. They used to run a similar system in the old WLAF in the the early nineties, although they ran it with one possession for each team, then sudden death. Basically, I think they did it to prevent a 'fluke play' like a KO return deciding it in the first seconds of the OT period..

With the luck of the coin toss having a bearing on the result, I think this type of system is fairly reasonable, both sides get a crack on offense, but then it's played out as sudden death.
                        The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                        BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                        You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by RBDynasty
                          Nope, keep it as it is.
                          I totally agree.

The college format is dumb since they automatically put you on the 25 yd line. Plus the sudden death thing is what makes overtimes exciting, in any sport.

Comment

I would like them to make it so that each team gets a chance to touch the ball but other than that I would leave the kickoffs and everything alone.
                            Smith's First Catch
                            "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

The problem with Sudden death is the coin toss usually is everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X