Should the NFL change the OT format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave it as is...

I like the College OT format, but there's nothing like sudden death. The NFL is saying that you better put as much stock in your defense as your offense. If you don't get the ball first, it's on the D to make a play.

Comment

Originally posted by section 118
      NO WAY! The NFL has by far the best overtime of any sport.
      I agree - I do not care for the way they do it in College football at all, and it could go on and on forever if each team keeps scoring the same amount of points, if I understand it correctly.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Absolutely...I think they should play 1 full quarter, no sudden death. Then if after that 1 quarter the teams are still tied they go to a kick-off.

Each teams place kicker must make a kick from the 25 yd line. If they both make it goes back 5yds, etc until they reach the 45. First one to miss a kick loses.
        Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

I don't think the college format would work in the pros because you could go on and on all day with field goals. Atleast in college, if a college kicker lines up at the 20 or 25 yard line its not automatic. The pros would be. You would have to line the ball up at about the 35 or 40 to make it more interesting.

Sudden death is cool unless you are the team that never sees the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
            I don't think the college format would work in the pros because you could go on and on all day with field goals. Atleast in college, if a college kicker lines up at the 20 or 25 yard line its not automatic. The pros would be. You would have to line the ball up at about the 35 or 40 to make it more interesting.

Sudden death is cool unless you are the team that never sees the ball.
            I think the college system has a 3 or 5 attempt limit then it becomes a tie. But i am not 100% certain on that.
            "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
            Ayrton Senna..

Comment

I hate it. Both teams should get chance with the ball. All luck of the coin flip is now thrown out the window. Winning the flip will still help.

Comment

Originally posted by bronocoman5
                I hate it. Both teams should get chance with the ball. All luck of the coin flip is now thrown out the window. Winning the flip will still help.
                Winning the flip of the coin doesn't ensure victory. The Lions just this past week won the coin flip and they still lost the game (a home game no less).
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I don't like the idea of having an OT format that will totally inflate player's stats. A RB could go into OT (college format), with 1 TD, and somehow finish the game with 4.

Yes our sudden death system has its drawbacks, but I'll take it over the college format anyday.
                  You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by NASurfer
                    I don't like the idea of having an OT format that will totally inflate player's stats. A RB could go into OT (college format), with 1 TD, and somehow finish the game with 4.

Yes our sudden death system has its drawbacks, but I'll take it over the college format anyday.

So a College like system, with stats seperated would be good then, because I kind of agree with that.

There could be another category for OT TDs
                    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
                      So a College like system, with stats seperated would be good then, because I kind of agree with that.

There could be another category for OT TDs
                      No that would suck as well, quit being such a girly man, sudden death is where its's at!

Comment

Sudden death is a man's game. As stated in an earlier post. Detroit won the toss and how did it end up? The QB throws a pick that is returned for a TD. Maddox did the same thing for the Steelers against the Jags. Leave it the way it is. Offenses are paid to score and defenses are paid to defend from scoring. Let the better side of the ball decide the game.

Comment

Originally posted by section 118
                          I can tell the People who would like to see it changed are young kids. Its all because with today dayand age of being PC about everything we have brought up a generation of emotional wimps.

Heck for the younger kids these days they don't even keep scores of games because they don't want to hurt anybodies feeling. Sad, very sad indeed.

I'm 16 do I fall into this category?

Comment

NO, nada. nope

Comment

http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_08_04.html

This guy did a statistical analysis of the NFL overtime situation. In the last ten years, more than two-thirds of all overtimes involved both teams having possession of the ball. Furthermore, the coin flip only provides a 60% probablity in winning. Granted the fact that it is more than half renders it at least a little unfair, but there is a reason they say defense wins championships. I say keep it as it is.
                              I'll duel you left-handed

"I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it" - Nick Hornby from Fever Pitch

Comment

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
                                I honestly don't like the overtime in the NFL. I think college football's is much better, because both teams have a shot at winning, it makes it more of a shootout, and it's much more exciting when the team starts at the 25 yard line.

If you could change it, would you, and what would your OT be like?

I'd make it exactly like College football's right now, except maybe start at the 50 yard line, rather than the 25
                                I don't think we need to make overtime into a circus and totally change the strategy of the game just because it's overtime. Do you think MLB would go for the idea of just fielding 7 players in extra innings? How about the NBA going to a 1on1 overtime format? Hockey and soccer have weird overtime rules but that's because they are so boring that 1-0 is considered an exciting game and the fans are so bored they just want to get home and watch some football.

I would make one change in the interest of fairness. Right now we all know that winning the coin toss is a huge advantage. I would say that both teams should have an opportunity to control the ball. And, as long they continue to score touchdowns, they should continue to have that opportunity.

Example 1: Team A elects to receive and the kick is muffed with team B recovering. Both teams have had a chance to control and we go to sudden death.

Example 2: Team A drives for TD. Team B hasn't had the ball so Team A kicks off. Team B ties it up so the rules stay the same and they kick to Team A. Team A gets a FG and kicks back to Team B. If B gets a TD they win. If they turn the ball over for any reason they lose. And if they kick a FG overtime continues in sudden death mode.

Team control of the ball doesn't require the offense on the field. A fumble recovery by the Team B defense and later in the play fumbled back to Team A would constitute Team B control and sudden death would be on.

Comment

Working...
                                X