Should the NFL change the OT format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT changes

Like everyone else, I only like the current OT rule when Denver wins the coin toss. If I had to make a change, I think I like the idea of playing a 'reduced' 5th quarter (7 minutes, maybe). Same rules as regulation. The game doesn't end until the gun. If the score is still tied after OT, then it is a tie.

I love college football, but I HATE the way the NCAA handles overtime. It is like a side-show, carnival game. Putting the ball on the 25. Dumb. Completely ruins good games. I've seen defensive struggles (13-13) turn into 41-40 finals after 4, 5 OT periods. Stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by bry422
      Like everyone else, I only like the current OT rule when Denver wins the coin toss. If I had to make a change, I think I like the idea of playing a 'reduced' 5th quarter (7 minutes, maybe). Same rules as regulation. The game doesn't end until the gun. If the score is still tied after OT, then it is a tie.

I love college football, but I HATE the way the NCAA handles overtime. It is like a side-show, carnival game. Putting the ball on the 25. Dumb. Completely ruins good games. I've seen defensive struggles (13-13) turn into 41-40 finals after 4, 5 OT periods. Stupid.

That's an interesting point. That'd make it sort of like the NBA's over time, with a reduced quarter overtime.

I like that idea too...
      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

both college and pro overtimes are bogus. i would go with an altered version of the nfl overtime. here is how i would do it:
        1. eliminate kickoff
        2. team that wins the toss can take the ball on their own ten yd line or give it to opponet on their own ten.

I feel this would level the field, benefiting both good off and def.
        PROUD BREEDER OF 3 BRONCO FANS AND STILL PRACTICING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've had an idea for a while now which helps eliminate the "luck" factor involved with the overtime coin toss. I think they should change the rule so that the first OT possession is incentive based - for example, the team with the fewest penalty yards during regulation would get the ball first (say, on their own 20 yard line). There are various ways to implement this (you could use other factors - i.e. whichever team had the fewest turnovers, or most offensive yardage, etc. etc. would get the ball first in OT).

I truly like the idea of sudden death because teams know what they're playing for and honestly, that should be enough motivation for them to play defense if they need to. I just think that rather than having a coin toss decide the outcome, throw in an extra incentive-based reason for teams to play well DURING the game. That way, if it does come down to OT, teams cannot complain that they didn't have a chance to touch the ball....it would sort of be their own fault.

Comment

Working...
          X