Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chargerlew
    replied
    I've had an idea for a while now which helps eliminate the "luck" factor involved with the overtime coin toss. I think they should change the rule so that the first OT possession is incentive based - for example, the team with the fewest penalty yards during regulation would get the ball first (say, on their own 20 yard line). There are various ways to implement this (you could use other factors - i.e. whichever team had the fewest turnovers, or most offensive yardage, etc. etc. would get the ball first in OT).

I truly like the idea of sudden death because teams know what they're playing for and honestly, that should be enough motivation for them to play defense if they need to. I just think that rather than having a coin toss decide the outcome, throw in an extra incentive-based reason for teams to play well DURING the game. That way, if it does come down to OT, teams cannot complain that they didn't have a chance to touch the ball....it would sort of be their own fault.

Leave a comment:

• clokwork orange
    replied
    both college and pro overtimes are bogus. i would go with an altered version of the nfl overtime. here is how i would do it:
    1. eliminate kickoff
    2. team that wins the toss can take the ball on their own ten yd line or give it to opponet on their own ten.

I feel this would level the field, benefiting both good off and def.

Leave a comment:

• Tatum26Bell
    replied
    Originally posted by bry422
    Like everyone else, I only like the current OT rule when Denver wins the coin toss. If I had to make a change, I think I like the idea of playing a 'reduced' 5th quarter (7 minutes, maybe). Same rules as regulation. The game doesn't end until the gun. If the score is still tied after OT, then it is a tie.

I love college football, but I HATE the way the NCAA handles overtime. It is like a side-show, carnival game. Putting the ball on the 25. Dumb. Completely ruins good games. I've seen defensive struggles (13-13) turn into 41-40 finals after 4, 5 OT periods. Stupid.

That's an interesting point. That'd make it sort of like the NBA's over time, with a reduced quarter overtime.

I like that idea too...

Leave a comment:

• bry422
    replied
    OT changes

Like everyone else, I only like the current OT rule when Denver wins the coin toss. If I had to make a change, I think I like the idea of playing a 'reduced' 5th quarter (7 minutes, maybe). Same rules as regulation. The game doesn't end until the gun. If the score is still tied after OT, then it is a tie.

I love college football, but I HATE the way the NCAA handles overtime. It is like a side-show, carnival game. Putting the ball on the 25. Dumb. Completely ruins good games. I've seen defensive struggles (13-13) turn into 41-40 finals after 4, 5 OT periods. Stupid.

Leave a comment:

• SkyFlash1
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
    I honestly don't like the overtime in the NFL. I think college football's is much better, because both teams have a shot at winning, it makes it more of a shootout, and it's much more exciting when the team starts at the 25 yard line.

If you could change it, would you, and what would your OT be like?

I'd make it exactly like College football's right now, except maybe start at the 50 yard line, rather than the 25
    I don't think we need to make overtime into a circus and totally change the strategy of the game just because it's overtime. Do you think MLB would go for the idea of just fielding 7 players in extra innings? How about the NBA going to a 1on1 overtime format? Hockey and soccer have weird overtime rules but that's because they are so boring that 1-0 is considered an exciting game and the fans are so bored they just want to get home and watch some football.

I would make one change in the interest of fairness. Right now we all know that winning the coin toss is a huge advantage. I would say that both teams should have an opportunity to control the ball. And, as long they continue to score touchdowns, they should continue to have that opportunity.

Example 1: Team A elects to receive and the kick is muffed with team B recovering. Both teams have had a chance to control and we go to sudden death.

Example 2: Team A drives for TD. Team B hasn't had the ball so Team A kicks off. Team B ties it up so the rules stay the same and they kick to Team A. Team A gets a FG and kicks back to Team B. If B gets a TD they win. If they turn the ball over for any reason they lose. And if they kick a FG overtime continues in sudden death mode.

Team control of the ball doesn't require the offense on the field. A fumble recovery by the Team B defense and later in the play fumbled back to Team A would constitute Team B control and sudden death would be on.

Leave a comment:

• delaranta
    replied
    http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_11_08_04.html

This guy did a statistical analysis of the NFL overtime situation. In the last ten years, more than two-thirds of all overtimes involved both teams having possession of the ball. Furthermore, the coin flip only provides a 60% probablity in winning. Granted the fact that it is more than half renders it at least a little unfair, but there is a reason they say defense wins championships. I say keep it as it is.

Leave a comment:

• Jrhampton
    replied
    NO, nada. nope

Leave a comment:

• sdbroncofan1
    replied
    Originally posted by section 118
    I can tell the People who would like to see it changed are young kids. Its all because with today dayand age of being PC about everything we have brought up a generation of emotional wimps.

Heck for the younger kids these days they don't even keep scores of games because they don't want to hurt anybodies feeling. Sad, very sad indeed.

I'm 16 do I fall into this category?

Leave a comment:

• Bronco51
    replied
    Sudden death is a man's game. As stated in an earlier post. Detroit won the toss and how did it end up? The QB throws a pick that is returned for a TD. Maddox did the same thing for the Steelers against the Jags. Leave it the way it is. Offenses are paid to score and defenses are paid to defend from scoring. Let the better side of the ball decide the game.

Leave a comment:

• section 118
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
    So a College like system, with stats seperated would be good then, because I kind of agree with that.

There could be another category for OT TDs
    No that would suck as well, quit being such a girly man, sudden death is where its's at!

Leave a comment:

• Tatum26Bell
    replied
    Originally posted by NASurfer
    I don't like the idea of having an OT format that will totally inflate player's stats. A RB could go into OT (college format), with 1 TD, and somehow finish the game with 4.

Yes our sudden death system has its drawbacks, but I'll take it over the college format anyday.

So a College like system, with stats seperated would be good then, because I kind of agree with that.

There could be another category for OT TDs

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    I don't like the idea of having an OT format that will totally inflate player's stats. A RB could go into OT (college format), with 1 TD, and somehow finish the game with 4.

Yes our sudden death system has its drawbacks, but I'll take it over the college format anyday.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by bronocoman5
    I hate it. Both teams should get chance with the ball. All luck of the coin flip is now thrown out the window. Winning the flip will still help.
    Winning the flip of the coin doesn't ensure victory. The Lions just this past week won the coin flip and they still lost the game (a home game no less).

Leave a comment:

• bronocoman5
    replied
    I hate it. Both teams should get chance with the ball. All luck of the coin flip is now thrown out the window. Winning the flip will still help.

Leave a comment:

• y2cragie
    replied
    Originally posted by watchthemiddle
    I don't think the college format would work in the pros because you could go on and on all day with field goals. Atleast in college, if a college kicker lines up at the 20 or 25 yard line its not automatic. The pros would be. You would have to line the ball up at about the 35 or 40 to make it more interesting.

Sudden death is cool unless you are the team that never sees the ball.
    I think the college system has a 3 or 5 attempt limit then it becomes a tie. But i am not 100% certain on that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X