Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has played for both, Broncos and Raiders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has played for both, Broncos and Raiders?

I have actually two questions. The first one, just for history sake, which players do you remember that have played for both teams? How have they done agains their former team?

The case that comes to mind is Romanowski, who played fairly well against the Broncos (and even dislocated Sharpe's elbow). Do you remember other case?

And I also want to ask, is there a former Bronco playing for the Raiders? Sometimes, when players face former teams (for example, Deltha O'Neal vs. the Broncos last season) they have good game. Go Marquis Anderson!!!!

Good topic!

Jerry Rice (sort of played for us)

Lyle Alzado - I don't remember how well he did against us, but I'm thinking he was near the end of his career by then.

That's all I could think of off hand

Comment

Marques (sp?) Anderson, currently here.

Thats all I will add. Im not really up to this challnge today, sorry :/

Comment

Tory James used to be a Raider before playing for the Broncos.

Comment

A partial list

Of players who have played for both the Raiders & Broncos

Marquez Anderson, Larry Brunson, Dave Costa, Brad Daluiso, Russell Freeman, Ricky Hunley, Tory James, Eugene Mingo, Rod Sherman, Jack Simpson, Richard Tyson, Lionel Washington, Ted Washinton, and as already mentioned, Romo, Rice, and Lyle Alzado.

Cant leave out the coach. Mike Shanahan!

As you can see, there are plenty to break this myth that players NEVER go from one team to the other..................

Comment

Here's an interesting article that talks about player ties between Denver and Oakland, plus the rivalry between the two teams. We almost had Tim Brown in 1994. We gave up another Brown, Willie Brown, who is a hall of famer and played great for Oakland, after we traded him.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DEN/4474833

Broncos-Raiders rivalry starts at top Click here to find out more!

By Jim Armstrong
            NFL Insider

(Nov. 2, 2001) -- To this day, the moment -- not to mention the look on John Madden's face -- remains frozen in Tom Jackson's mind.

The date was Oct. 16, 1977. It was a hazy afternoon in the Bay Area. That was the day the Denver Broncos grew up. The day they proved to themselves that they could play with the big boys.

You know, the Raiders.

It was late in the fourth quarter and Jackson had recovered a fumble near the Oakland bench to clinch a 30-7 Denver victory. That's when he said it. The most famous four words in Broncos history before "This one's for John."

"It's over, fat man!" Jackson, a Pro Bowl linebacker, screamed to Madden, who was standing 10 feet away at the time. Not that he had to be to catch Jackson's drift.

"It was totally spontaneous," Jackson said. "It was done in the heat of battle. After struggling with the Raiders for a number of years, and seeing that we were not only going to beat them but beat them soundly, all those things had welled up inside me. It just came out. I just looked at him and screamed. I can still see the look of shock and surprise on his face."

Jackson was wrong, of course. It wasn't over. The Broncos-Raiders rivalry was just getting started. When the two teams play Monday night in Oakland, it will be a revival of one of the game's great grudge matches. In fact, when you consider the depth of animosity -- OK, hatred -- between the two front offices, there's no other logical conclusion to draw: This is the NFL's most heated rivalry.

No? Then you haven't been splattered by any of the mud flying between the two cities. And you haven't heard about the time that Mike Shanahan, then the 49ers' offensive coordinator, allegedly ordered quarterback Elvis Grbac to throw a ball at Al Davis' head during pregame warm-ups. To which Shanahan responded, "Would I do something like that?" Now that you mentioned it, Mike, yes.

Shanahan does most of his trash talking behind closed doors, except when it comes to Davis. His disdain for the Raiders' owner started in 1989, when Davis fired Shanahan as the Raiders' head coach. It wasn't the pink slip that bothered Shanahan. It was the fact that Davis refused to pay him the $250,000 he had remaining on his contract.

Shanahan ultimately filed a grievance with the league office and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue ruled in his favor. But to this day, Davis has refused to ante up. Shanahan even offered to donate the money to the Oakland school system, but Davis wouldn't budge.

"He told me one thing," Shanahan says. "He told me if I ever went back to Denver, he wouldn't pay me the rest of my contract. If I went anywhere else, he would pay the rest."

Davis' disdain for the Broncos goes well beyond their head coach, who rejoined Dan Reeves' Denver staff as quarterbacks coach only 13 days after leaving the Raiders. Davis is on record as saying that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen should be suspended from the NFL for alleged violations of the league's salary cap.

"It's not the 49ers alone," Davis said after the league came down on San Francisco's front office for cap violations. "Denver is involved very strongly."

To which Bowlen responded, "When he points his finger in my direction, I just sort of laugh. I guess that's his excuse for the fact he hasn't been able to beat us."

That's one argument Davis can't win. This rivalry is as streaky as it is nasty. The Broncos enjoyed a 4-2 advantage from 1960-62 before Davis arrived in Oakland. The Raiders won 17 of the next 18, settling for a tie in the other game.

The Raiders' dominance continued into the mid-1970s. Then came 1977, the year of the Orange Crush, when Jackson and his teammates put the Broncos on the map for good. After trading punches for several years during the 1980s and early '90s, the Broncos have owned the Raiders since Shanahan was named head coach in 1995. Since then, the Broncos have won 11 of 12 meetings, including the past seven.

In the interim, the Broncos signed Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown as a restricted free agent, only to have the Raiders match the offer. Davis, meanwhile, tried to make Broncos pass-rush coach John Teerlinck the Raiders' defensive coordinator. Willie Brown, the Raiders' Hall of Fame cornerback? He was acquired in a trade with the Broncos. Then there's Rich Jackson, arguably the greatest defensive lineman in Broncos history. Oakland traded him to Denver.

Oh, and how could we forget this little blast from the past? In 1983, Davis thought he had a three-way deal with the Chicago Bears and Baltimore Colts for the rights to John Elway, only to have the Broncos land him. The botched deal was another chapter in Davis' long-running feud with NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, who -- Davis always has maintained -- convinced Bears owner George Halas to back out to keep Elway from landing with the Silver & Black.

Wherever they go, whatever they do, the Broncos and Raiders can't seem to avoid each other. When they collide again Monday night, the Broncos, not the Raiders, will have their season on the line. For proof, look no farther than the AFC West standings. The Raiders are 5-1 and lead the division. The Broncos? They're 4-3. A loss and they can all but forget about winning the West.

Of all the players who'll be on the field Monday night, none has played more games in the Broncos-Raiders rivalry than Tim Brown, who tried to jump ship by signing with Denver in 1994.

"The one thing that happens is you get so jacked up for this game, you don't treat it as a football game," Brown says. "It's like the world is ending or something. I think that's been our problem. ... So our deal is: This is a football game. If we win, great, we're 6-1. Denver is 4-4 and, yeah, they've got problems. But if we lose, guess what? We're still leading our division."

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Denard Walker...
              This space for rent

Comment

Didn't Shannon Sharpe play for them for a season?
                "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
                  Didn't Shannon Sharpe play for them for a season?
                  That was the EAST coast prison gang. The Ravens!

Comment

haha, my bad.
                    "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                    Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                      Of players who have played for both the Raiders & Broncos

Marquez Anderson, Larry Brunson, Dave Costa, Brad Daluiso, Russell Freeman, Ricky Hunley, Tory James, Eugene Mingo, Rod Sherman, Jack Simpson, Richard Tyson, Lionel Washington, Ted Washinton, and as already mentioned, Romo, Rice, and Lyle Alzado.

Cant leave out the coach. Mike Shanahan!

As you can see, there are plenty to break this myth that players NEVER go from one team to the other..................
                      You mentioned most of the ones that came to my mind. A couple of others - Denard Walker, Elijah Alexander, Steve Buerline.

Comment

Darrien Gordon as well, he went to the darkside after the super bowl years

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
                          Darrien Gordon as well, he went to the darkside after the super bowl years
                          awwww i was just gonna say him lol.....i was sad when he left....he was a great punt returner
                          "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                          -The best in the business-

Comment

Originally posted by sportsgeist
                            Tory James used to be a Raider before playing for the Broncos.

It's the other way around. James was drafted by us before going to the Raiders.

Here is a list of players that have played for both that I know of.

Lyle Alzado

Mike Harden

Bill Romonawski

Tori James

Chester McGlockton

Marques Anderson

Washington (I don't remember his first name but his position was cb.)

Ted Washington

Darrien Gordon (as mentioned above)
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Ted Washington? We had Ted Washington on our team?

Comment

Working...
                              X