In case you missed it.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case you missed it.....

Did you know that denver was #1 in highest and lowest percentage of passes, based on opponent play selection?

1.Denver: Pass:64.9% v Run:35.1%
    32. Houston: Pass:46.%3 v Run:53.7%

But what do you expect?

A plethora of reasons for this:

1. Denver is stuffing the run.
    If you can't run, then you better pass.

2. Denver's getting in front early.
    Denver has been good at scoring early, making the other team play catch up.

3. Denver's secondary is filled with rookies at the corners, and 30+ year olds at safety.
    These teams must believe sooner, rather than later, the secondary will implode.

I'm wondering if this isn't part of the reason, why the Dline seems to slow down late in the games....

....I'm imagining it's a little tiring, attacking the qb for 65% of the defensive plays, versus holding their ground against run blocking.

Let's just hope that none of the guys came back 20lbs overweight after the bye week......they're going to need all the energy they can muster.

Plus!
    Denver has the highest number of attempts per game by their opponents, IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!
    But trail Dallas (#1) in completion percentage by only .08%.

That's saying ALOT about denver's defense, whether the 'analysts' want to admit it or not.....
    Last edited by rcsodak; 11-10-2005, 10:02 PM.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Had a feeling, that would well explain where we rank in pass defense. Becuase you have more passes to try and defend that are being thrown at you. Plus when teams have been catching up to us, it hasn't been via their running game, just some quick big strikes from the passing game against a tiring secindary.
    The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
      Did you know that denver was #1 in highest and lowest percentage of passes, based on opponent play selection?

But what do you expect?

3. Denver's secondary is filled with rookies at the corners, and 30+ year olds at safety.

I'm wondering if this isn't part of the reason, why the Dline seems to slow down late in the games....

....I'm imagining it's a little tiring, attacking the qb for 65% of the defensive plays, versus holding their ground against run blocking.

Let's just hope that none of the guys came back 20lbs overweight after the bye week......they're going to need all the energy they can muster.

Plus!
      Denver has the highest number of attempts per game by their opponents, IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE!

That's saying ALOT about denver's defense, whether the 'analysts' want to admit it or not.....
      Great post, RC. I was planning to make a very similar thread today but you beat me to it.

You definitely have to look at the total yards given up in the proper context. Could our pass defense be better? Sure. But it's definitely not as bad as the stats indicate at first glance.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Instead of trying to repeat myself , the following post applies to this thread also:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...332#post742332

The writers and statisticians don't play the games. The players do.

And the latest player to be bought for the right price from Boston....

Johnny Damon

Comment

i think run defense tires out teams more than pass defense so that doesn't explain why our d line sputters out at end of games

Comment

RC you have touched a subject here.

We are known for having one of the "lightest" offensive and defensive lines which enable them to keep up that pace better. Shanny works the speed aspect rather than the more powerful fronts.

But defensively, I agree with a point that you may be making.... Keep our defense off the field. Let them rest more and they would be even more effective.

Not to mention the injury bug taking a hike and getting lost.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I don't think that is the problem. We are so deep at D-line they rotate a lot. They shouldn't really be getting tired.

I think you nailed when you said we get such a high lead early. Any team down by 17 - 21 points by the 3rd quarter is going to start throwing the ball all over the place.

Comment

Again, for the record, we aren't "stuffing" the run.

We have the worst yards per carry out of the top 10 run defense teams and decidedly overall average at 4.1 ypc.

If we didn't control the clock with Anderbell, teams would run us into China. Realistically, we are probably middle of the pack in run defense, middle of the pack in pass defense, and underneath the pack in pass rushing ability.

I do agree that our pass defense is not as bad as it appears. Shanahan hit the gold mine with Williams and Foxworth and they've played well. We still need a coverage safety though, but Brandon when healthy, does the job in our nickel package, when he comes in and sends DJ Williams (our waste of a draft pick who is on pace for 40 tackles and nothing else) to the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Great post, RC. I was planning to make a very similar thread today but you beat me to it.

You definitely have to look at the total yards given up in the proper context. Could our pass defense be better? Sure. But it's definitely not as bad as the stats indicate at first glance.
                  Well Jav unfortunately there are some that wont.
                  John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

You cheated.......I'm disappointed in you RC

But what do you expect?

Plus!

I had these notes on my desk and you copied worried for word. How did you get here and I never noticed you. I guess you can tell I agree with your post.

Believe this........ I posted this somewhere a day ago. I know I did.
                    Last edited by Emancipator; 11-11-2005, 05:46 AM.
                    Emancipate your mind!
                    The People's Poster

Comment

found it.

i think I found it.........
                      http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...693#post741693
                      Emancipate your mind!
                      The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkPanda
                        i think run defense tires out teams more than pass defense so that doesn't explain why our d line sputters out at end of games
                        Well, to a point....

Sure, if the Oline is firing out at the Dline all game long, then the Dline will get banged up, but tired?
                        I'd say rushing AGAINST the Oline, and chasing down the QB is prolly every bit as tiring, if not more.

I seem to remember, back in John's days, where Dlinemen would say they'd never been so tired after having to chase him down.
                        And that was only every once in a while, during a game.

Denver's Dline is doing that almost EVERY play.
                        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                          I don't think that is the problem. We are so deep at D-line they rotate a lot. They shouldn't really be getting tired.

I think you nailed when you said we get such a high lead early. Any team down by 17 - 21 points by the 3rd quarter is going to start throwing the ball all over the place.
                          But it's hard to get that second line in there when the Offense is playing no-huddle, or rushing to the line.....
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                            Again, for the record, we aren't "stuffing" the run.

We have the worst yards per carry out of the top 10 run defense teams and decidedly overall average at 4.1 ypc.

If we didn't control the clock with Anderbell, teams would run us into China. Realistically, we are probably middle of the pack in run defense, middle of the pack in pass defense, and underneath the pack in pass rushing ability.

I do agree that our pass defense is not as bad as it appears. Shanahan hit the gold mine with Williams and Foxworth and they've played well. We still need a coverage safety though, but Brandon when healthy, does the job in our nickel package, when he comes in and sends DJ Williams (our waste of a draft pick who is on pace for 40 tackles and nothing else) to the bench.
                            Knew you'd show up, mug....

The #1 avg. against the run is a whopping 3.2, held by Pitt.
                            Denver is a whopping .9 more than that. WOW!
                            The average, by the way, is also 4.1.
                            Denver's given up 4 runs of over 20 yards.....while the average is 5.25. That's BELOW the average.
                            Denver's given up 39 first downs by way of the run....while the average is 50.69. Again, that's BELOW the average.
                            Denver's given up 5 TD's by way of the run....while the average is 5.69. That too, is below the average.

Mug, to say the run defense is lacking, where it is actually a strength, is merely nit-picking.

Just imagine if you took out that big 60+ run from the Miami WR in game one, the stats would be even better! (How's 3.7 ypa sound?)

I honestly can't believe you're sitting there (presumably) and criticizing the run defense. You've even said yourself that they're stopping the run, in earlier posts.......

Methinks you just like to argue with me.....
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

bumpety bump bump
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X