T.D. to Canton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
    As I said many times before, TD won't get in for one reason.

Olandis Gary

More and more people are thinking TD was just another one of our many system backs. The thought of just being able to plug anyone back there and get production has seriously undermined TD's bid for HOF.

I know this isn't completely true and that TD had talent that went beyond our system but what I think is not gonna matter.

I wonder how Portis would have fared if he had Elway, Eddie Mac, Rod, Sharpe and that Defense in their prime.

Let's face it, TD had it pretty good also. All those weapons to open up running lanes. I'm not sure if TD will get in because of all these things.
    I don't know if thats true DK. I mean. Emmit Smith certainly had a lot of weapons on his side of the ball with him, and his offensive line was absolutely DOMINATING..and he NEVER rushed for as many yards as TD in 6 seasons, and he NEVER rushed for a 2000yrd season.

People that vote on candidates for the HoF DO know football. They aren't going to see the talent of TD and compare him to the likes of an Olandis Gary. There have been a LOT of 1200 yrd rushers in this league. That goes back to the consistantcy and longevity. Terrell may have had a short career, but during those 6 seasons, he was absolutely THE dominating back in the league. I don't think ANYONE would try to say that Terrell was simply a back of the "system." At least not anyone that TRULY knows football. Terrell was a pearl. One that just had talent tht very few backs have. I know that the HoF commity knows his talent was FAR greater than just that of the system. I think it just comes down to the amount of years he was in the league...or rather..the amount of years he wasn't.

Comment

Technically Curtis Martin was the best running back in the NFL last season. He did win the rushing title.

Comment

He won't make it for the reason everyone else has already said. TD was lacking in one vital area. Longevity. He had an amazing career but will always be considered a flash in the pan who couldn't go the distance with an NFL career and unfortunantly that is NOW part of the requirements. You need to play 12+ years to be honestly considered.

He may get nominated if it is a lean year, but I think outside of Denver Terrel Davis's accomplishments have already been forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
          I don't know if thats true DK. I mean. Emmit Smith certainly had a lot of weapons on his side of the ball with him, and his offensive line was absolutely DOMINATING..and he NEVER rushed for as many yards as TD in 6 seasons, and he NEVER rushed for a 2000yrd season.
          The Cowboys had a awesome line to be sure but they didn't have the same system. Hence no 2000 yards, not as many yards in 6 years ect ect.

People that vote on candidates for the HoF DO know football. They aren't going to see the talent of TD and compare him to the likes of an Olandis Gary.
          Wanna bet? Whenever I hear the great line of Denver backs, Gary gets mentioned. He should never get mentioned in the same sentance as TD but he does. Know why? Because many are already lumping the Denver backs together as similair. How are they similair? THE SYSTEM. The comparison's are already being made and have been for awhile.

There have been a LOT of 1200 yrd rushers in this league. That goes back to the consistantcy and longevity. Terrell may have had a short career, but during those 6 seasons, he was absolutely THE dominating back in the league. I don't think ANYONE would try to say that Terrell was simply a back of the "system."
          It's already being said....outside of Denver.

At least not anyone that TRULY knows football. Terrell was a pearl. One that just had talent tht very few backs have. I know that the HoF commity knows his talent was FAR greater than just that of the system. I think it just comes down to the amount of years he was in the league...or rather..the amount of years he wasn't.
          That certianly plays a factor but TD's accomplishments as runningback IS dilueted do to the relatively easy success ANY back can have in our system. I mean come on, Ron Dayne looks good out there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
            The Cowboys had a awesome line to be sure but they didn't have the same system. Hence no 2000 yards, not as many yards in 6 years ect ect.

Wanna bet? Whenever I hear the great line of Denver backs, Gary gets mentioned. He should never get mentioned in the same sentance as TD but he does. Know why? Because many are already lumping the Denver backs together as similair. How are they similair? THE SYSTEM. The comparison's are already being made and have been for awhile.

It's already being said....outside of Denver.

That certianly plays a factor but TD's accomplishments as runningback IS dilueted do to the relatively easy success ANY back can have in our system. I mean come on, Ron Dayne looks good out there.
            I'm not saying the casual fan tries to lump them together. I'm not saying the person that lives outside of Denver...that doesn't really get to watch a lot of games doesn't try to suggest TD was just a "Product of the system." But that doesn't mean those that REALLY know football wou ld do the same. No one that watches any kind of football would ever say that Gary is in the same class as Davis.... and then expected to be taken seriously ever again.

I think the whole "system" thing has been blown COMPLETELY out of proportion. I'm sorry. But there have been a LOT of 12-13-14-15 hundred yard rushers in the league that don't have "Our System." There have been lots of people that won the NFL rushing title, that didn't have "our system." There have been MANY MANY Super Bowls won, without our "system." Therefor, I don't give our "system" as the lone excuse or reason for success. I think it has a lot to do with many other things. Its not like we are pumping out 2000yrd rushers year after year.

I honestly believe that the people that actually VOTE on the HoF would definatly know better than to try and lump any Olandis Gary with Terrell Davis. The only thing they have in common is they wore the same uniform. ANyone that says that Davis was simply a product of our system, is completely foolish.

Funny how you never heard of our "running system" until Davis showed up and became Dominating, huh? I wonder why that is. WHy is it, even when Shanahan was our offensive coordinator before, that we didn't have the "system" that created running backs..... Until Davis.

DK... you have some valid points...but I think that the system Dallas was winning Super Bowls with was a pretty damned good system. I think the fact that they had like four pro-bowlers from one year on the front line shows just how good they were. THe fact that Smith ran in 25 TDs in a season.. proves that aswell. But Davis was the home run threat more than Smith. Davis DID rush for 2000 yrds. I just have more confidence in the HoF Committee being able to see that Davis was more than just a "system player." Not to say they STILL won't keep him out because of his longevity...but I don't think you will see any of them try and say that he's not going nt because of his lack of talent, or because he "played for denver." I just don't see that being a reality.

Comment

Let me just add that if TD doesn't get in, it won't be because of his shortened career or any other stat. It will be because he's a Bronco and for even an incredibly deserving Bronco, that is for some reason a black ball for which only super human ability can overcome. I remember countless times when it was suggested Elway would have a tough time getting in without a SB ring. But then Marino walks in like Flynn with barely a SB appearance. Not exactly equal terms.

Comment

I believe that a player that wins SB MVP and regular season MVP should get into the hall, no matter how long his career was. I hope somebody recognizes that and makes an exception for him.

:salute:

Comment

Originally posted by SkyFlash1
                  Let me just add that if TD doesn't get in, it won't be because of his shortened career or any other stat. It will be because he's a Bronco and for even an incredibly deserving Bronco, that is for some reason a black ball for which only super human ability can overcome. I remember countless times when it was suggested Elway would have a tough time getting in without a SB ring. But then Marino walks in like Flynn with barely a SB appearance. Not exactly equal terms.
                  Elway would have made it, Ring or no Ring... just as Kelly, and Marino did. There is not "hidden agenda" against the Denver Broncos to keep them out of the HoF.

Comment

Anti-Bronco Bias?

I think TD deserves to be in the HOF. I have a problem with the HOF not respecting the Broncos as a winning organization. Every Pittsburg Steeler who excelled in the 70s seems to be in the HOF. Why is Elway the only Bronco in the HOF when the Broncos have been to the Super Bowl more times than anyone except the Cowboys? There are several Vikins there. There are several Chiefs there. There are several Raiders there. See my point? With the Broncos being the winningest team in the NFL over the last decade, you would think that more than one player deserved to be in the HOF. Randy Gradishar, Gary Zimmerman, TD, Shannon Sharp, Rod Smith, and Tom Nalen are all multiple Pro Bowl players that should end up in the HOF. Any bets on who actually makes it?

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado69
                      I think TD deserves to be in the HOF. I have a problem with the HOF not respecting the Broncos as a winning organization. Every Pittsburg Steeler who excelled in the 70s seems to be in the HOF. Why is Elway the only Bronco in the HOF when the Broncos have been to the Super Bowl more times than anyone except the Cowboys? There are several Vikins there. There are several Chiefs there. There are several Raiders there. See my point? With the Broncos being the winningest team in the NFL over the last decade, you would think that more than one player deserved to be in the HOF. Randy Gradishar, Gary Zimmerman, TD, Shannon Sharp, Rod Smith, and Tom Nalen are all multiple Pro Bowl players that should end up in the HOF. Any bets on who actually makes it?
                      Nooo. Its an NFL conspiracy to keep teh Broncos out of the HoF

Seriously. The last decade we had How many players that deserve to go... Elway, TD, Sharpe, and Smth... possibly Zimmerman.

Elway was just inducted. We are talking about TD as to why he probably Won't... Sharpe most definatly will.... Smith most probably will. The others you mentioned are ones from past that may make it eventually. Nalen won't make it though.

Comment

Elway wasn't the only HoF quality player from the Broncos. The Broncos went to the Superbowl three times in the 80s, and nobody could get there alone, even if they lost all those games. It surprises me that only Elway made it there, when there are a couple of players who should have made it already

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_f1
                          Elway wasn't the only HoF quality player from the Broncos. The Broncos went to the Superbowl three times in the 80s, and nobody could get there alone, even if they lost all those games. It surprises me that only Elway made it there, when there are a couple of players who should have made it already
                          You mean there were so many from those '80 teams that you don't know their names?

Comment

Louis Wright, Atwater, Mecklenburg, Gradishar

Comment

I hope TD makes it, but his shortened career hurts his chances. There's no doubt, whether he make sit or not, that he's one of the best RB's to play the game. He just fell victim to injury like so many other greats.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_f1
                                Louis Wright, Atwater, Mecklenburg, Gradishar

I didn't say there weren't more HoFers for the Broncos, I asked which ones that were during those 80's Super Bowls. Wright was in the last season of his fine career when we went in '86. He wasn't exactly Pro-bowl, or HoF form that season.

I do agree with Mecklenburg. Hard to say if he's HoF material though.. but certainly considered. I don't think pro-bowls are a measuring stick for the HoF..but I certainly feel Karl should be considered.

Gradishar retired in '83.. same year Elway was drafted.

Steve Atwater. Drafted the '89. Was always good, but wasn't at the level YET.. to exactly take them to the Super Bowls in the '80s. Since he already missed two of them, and was a rookie in the last.

Funny how the only players we can come up with during those years, are defensive players, huh?
                                John had pro-bowlers in Dennis Smith as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X