No announcement yet.

Not 1st Broncos Pro Bowl TD since '72?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not 1st Broncos Pro Bowl TD since '72?

Hey,

I saw the article today on this website stating that Portis' TD was the first one scored by a Bronco since '72.

I seem to remember our man, John Elway, scoring a TD to Sam Gash, at his last Pro Bowl in '99. Did I totally imagine this? Or did the article imply that a rushing TD is different than throwing a TD?

Just curious,
    DT23

Portis Scores First Broncos Pro Bowl Touchdown Since 1972, not throws, scores....Jhon Elway threw it he didn't score it, in the stat book it doesn't say John Elway scored the T.D. it says he threw it to Sam Gash who scored it...
    sigpic

Comment

But wouldn't John also be creditted for the touchdown, even though he threw it? As in the final stats sheet, it would show John completing x out x passes, and 1 TD. It just seems a little misleading... you get the feeling that this is the first time a Bronco was involved in scoring any points since '72... and I want to make sure John gets credit for it!

Comment

Re: Not 1st Broncos Pro Bowl TD since '72?

Originally posted by dt23
        Hey,

I saw the article today on this website stating that Portis' TD was the first one scored by a Bronco since '72.

I seem to remember our man, John Elway, scoring a TD to Sam Gash, at his last Pro Bowl in '99. Did I totally imagine this? Or did the article imply that a rushing TD is different than throwing a TD?

Just curious,
        DT23
        I must admit, this is the very first time I have ever heard the expession "scoring a TD to (someone else)". Throwing a TD pass is not the same as SCORING a TD.

But wouldn't John also be creditted for the touchdown, even though he threw it? As in the final stats sheet, it would show John completing x out x passes, and 1 TD. It just seems a little misleading... you get the feeling that this is the first time a Bronco was involved in scoring any points since '72... and I want to make sure John gets credit for it!
        It's only misleading if you read something into it that's NOT there.

What you are looking for is Elway to get credit for something he did NOT do. Not that you are the first.
        Last edited by Aardwolf; 02-15-2004, 03:42 PM.

Comment

when you throw a td pass the receiver is the one who "scored" so he is the one that gets the points, the QB didn't cross the goal line the receiver did
          sigpic

Comment

Goodness...By reading your two posts regarding Elway, it seems to me you are bitter about something...

1st of all, yes many Bronco fans have "legendized" Elway--And, as with *ANY* legend, as time goes on, the tale grows. It's to be expected.

2nd of all, the person said they "believe"...Yes you corrected them & that was a good thing, but the way you corrected the member, was pretty harsh...Just a friendly word of advice...

Hopefully you won't take this post out of context or think that I'm trying to start something, I really am not, just thought something needed to be said.

Comment

Aardwolf,

It just seemed that throwing a TD was still significant, and the article made it seem like "We haven't done anything since '72". That was the main thing that bothered me.

It would have been more informative, in my opinion, if the article mentioned something to the effect that "Although Elway threw for a TD in '99, this was the first time a Bronco has actually crossed the goal line since '72."

I wasn't trying to give credit to Elway "just because". It was mainly that I thought the article made the team sound like it's been asleep in the Pro Bowl since '72, and to me throwing a TD was still significant enough to merrit at least one small sentence about it

-dt23

Comment

Re: Not 1st Broncos Pro Bowl TD since '72?

Hey,

Just curious,
                DT23

What about Elam? Hasn't he been to the pro bowl(98-99)? If so he's bound to score!

Comment

Aardwolf,

It just seemed that throwing a TD was still significant, and the article made it seem like "We haven't done anything since '72". That was the main thing that bothered me.

It would have been more informative, in my opinion, if the article mentioned something to the effect that "Although Elway threw for a TD in '99, this was the first time a Bronco has actually crossed the goal line since '72."

I wasn't trying to give credit to Elway "just because". It was mainly that I thought the article made the team sound like it's been asleep in the Pro Bowl since '72, and to me throwing a TD was still significant enough to merrit at least one small sentence about it

-dt23
                  Actually, the article is VERY, VERY DIFFERENT than you describe it.

"When Portis found the end zone, it marked the first time a Bronco visited that 533.3 square yards of territory in a Pro Bowl since Jan. 23, 1972, when Floyd Little's 6-yard scoring run provided the game-clinching points in the AFC's first Pro Bowl win, a 26-13 triumph at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Other Broncos have scored points in the years in between. Placekicker Jason Elam amassed 20 points during his appearances in 1996, 1999 and 2002. David Treadwell kicked three extra points during the 1990 game. John Elway was a part of scoring plays, throwing three touchdown passes: a 10-yarder to Todd Christensen in 1987, a 22-yarder to Eric Green in 1995 and the final scoring pass of his career, a 3-yarder to Sam Gash on Feb. 7, 1999.

Yet neither Elway -- nor any of the other Broncos to play in the Pro Bowl -- scored a touchdown for 32 years until Portis did so Sunday night. Portis touched the ball six times in his first Pro Bowl appearance, gaining 50 yards -- 27 on five carries and one on the touchdown reception."

Seems like NOTHING you said about it is even close to being true.

In fact, it seems like the article got it exactly right.

Comment

Working...
                  X