Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insider Breakdown: NY Jets vs. Denver Broncos

Why To Watch
    Jets head coach Herm Edwards has to be reticent to again name Brooks Bollinger the starting quarterback after his meltdown against the Panthers. Edwards must continue to encourage his team from quitting in a season that is all but lost. The offense continues to struggle with its ultra-conservative game plan because of injuries. The Jets will continue to face eight-man fronts until they can find a way to stretch the field vertically and take pressure off the play-action game. Defensively, the Jets will need to do a good job of maintaining their gaps and controlling the line of scrimmage against an explosive Broncos rushing attack. Also, they will need to pressure Plummer and force turnovers in order to create field position for their struggling offense.

Denver QB Jake Plummer continues to play a high level with his decision-making and overall game management. The Broncos' relatively balanced offense will continue to run the ball to set up the pass against a Jets run defense that is allowing 135.3 yards per game. Look for Plummer to continue to attack down the field vertically against the Jets' secondary. Defensively, the Broncos will focus on taking away the Jets' rushing attack and putting the game in the hands of Bollinger.

When the Jets have the ball
    Rushing: RB Curtis Martin negated some of his effectiveness last week. He had 75 yards on 19 carries and one fumble. Martin hadn't lost a fumble in his last 863 touches, dating back to Nov. 2, 2003 against the Giants. The Jets were encouraged last week by the running game as Martin averaged just a shade under 4 yards per carry and rookie Cedric Houston had 53 yards on the ground. Obviously, an improved running game against a Broncos defense that is allowing 85.1 yards per game would put less pressure on Bollinger.

FB Jerald Sowell has been a consistent performer throughout the season and will be counted on heavily as a lead blocker. The Jets will need to attack between the tackles against a front seven that is fast and athletic. Martin will need to be patient and utilize his vision because outside yardage will be hard to come by on the perimeter.

The strength of the Broncos' defense is their linebackers led by MLB Al Wilson. SLB D.J. Williams continues to play at a high level and WLB Ian Gold has outstanding versatility in coverage and a very good knack for timing zone fires when attacking both the A & B gaps. Again, the Broncos' game plan will be to stack the line of scrimmage with SS John Lynch and force the Jets to attack through the air. Heimerdinger will need to be patient and will mix in a couple of reverses to WR Laveranues Coles in order to keep the Broncos' defense guessing and off balance.

Passing: Brooks Bollinger will start again this week after throwing four second-half picks last week in a span of six attempts after not being intercepted in the first 92 passes of his NFL career. The Jets' passing attack has been struggling and faces a Broncos defense that is allowing 247.9 yards per game through the air. Bollinger is a good athlete with above average arm strength who has struggled with his timing and rhythm within the Jets' passing offense when attacking outside the numbers off his three and five-step drops.

The Jets will continue to move the pocket and allow him to use his mobility and athleticism to have the option of throwing or running outside the pocket when attacking on the perimeter. Defensive coordinator Larry Coyer has gotten a lot of production as far as hurries and quarterback pressures from his front four, along with his multiple pressure packages from his speed linebackers. The patched-up Jets offensive line, which lost RT Jason Fabini (torn pectoral muscle) for the season last week, has allowed 31 sacks this season.

Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's game plan this week will be to control the ball and attack the Broncos' secondary with a high percentage of short, underneath throws. Also, the Jets will continue to have fewer receivers involved in the passing routes (RB, TE) in their multiple spread formations due to protection problems out on the edges with RT Scott Gragg matched-up against LDE Courtney Brown and LT Adrian Jones matched-up against RDE Ebenezer Ekuban in passing situations. Both Ekuban and Brown have done a good job creating pressure off the edge and forcing the step up or release of the ball too soon. WR Laveranues Coles is the Jets' best receiver and should draw considerable attention form the Broncos' secondary and LCB Champ Bailey due to the struggles of WR Justin McCareins.

When the Broncos have the ball
    Rushing: The Broncos will look to control the game by pounding the Jets with their rushing attack. The Broncos will attack with the combination of running back Mike Anderson and change-of-pace back Tatum Bell against a Jets run defense that is allowing 135.3 yards per game. Bell is a fast, slashing runner who can be dangerous as anyone once he finds a crease and gets into open space. FB Kyle Johnson has been consistent as a run blocker with added value as a receiver out of the backfield.

Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson's game plan this week will be to contain the Broncos' rushing attack by emphasizing gap integrity, staying on your feet with control and not allowing the big, explosive, game-changing play by either Anderson or Bell. The Broncos' offensive line is very quick off the ball and has always done a good job of getting position on the second level and creating cutback lanes on the backside, which will be critical with the Jets' gap integrity. NT James Reed and LDT Dewayne Robertson will be counted on heavily to control the line of scrimmage and allow MLB Jonathan Vilma to play downhill and be a free hitter to the ball from an inside-out position. Also, the Jets will depend heavily on both free and strong safeties Erik Coleman and Kerry Rhodes to play under control when attacking the downhill alleys in run support. If the Jets don't play under control and tackle well in open space, this will result in another long afternoon against an explosive Broncos rushing attack.

Passing: QB Jake Plummer must continue to play the same, efficient game he has played all year against a Jets passing defense that is allowing on 169.3 yards per game. Plummer has a completion percentage of 60.6 and a passer rating of 93.5. He has thrown 13 touchdowns and three interceptions, while being sacked just 10 times. Plummer hasn't thrown an interception for 193 straight passes, a span of for 29 consecutive quarters. The Broncos will continue to attack on the ground to set up the play-action pass. Look for Plummer to continue to attack the vertical deep post against the Jets off play action to either WR Rod Smith or WR Ashley Lelie. Lelie is second on the team in receptions with an average of 16.6 per catch.

With the addition of Ty Law, the Jets have improved their overall play in the secondary, as Law continues to play at a high level. The challenge for Donnie Henderson this week will be how the Jets' secondary matches up in sub against the Broncos' multiple spread offense. Henderson will need to pick his poison when attacking Plummer in the pocket with the Jets' multiple pressures. Also, the Jets will put a high emphasis on their talented defensive line to stay disciplined in their rush lanes, contain Plummer and not allow him to pressure the outside perimeter of the pocket. Look for Henderson to attack the pocket in third-and-long situations with single zone fires and play some match-up zones behind it in order to limit the downfield, explosive plays. With the injury to David Barrett, look for Henderson to roll the coverage toward first-year corner Justin Miller and single up Law on Smith.
    sigpic
    DROY

Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #98

Thank you for posting.

Comment

Anyone else think Plummers streak will be taken away by Law on Sunday? Be nice to see him get to 200 passes first though.

I'm confident about the game though. I think we should get a couple of picks, as Mawae is out for them too, so we should get pressure from all over the line. Hopefully we can get another lead, because their passing attack is 27th in the NFL (159.6 yds/g) and not a particularly scary thought.

Comment

Give me the short version please.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
          Give me the short version please.

SHort version as follows...

Jets give up 135 yards a game on the ground.

Denver has two running backs that could each get 135 yards on sunday.

Jets D has some playmakers, but not enough.

Jets O ....nuff said!

Broncos must not look past the Jets to their match-up on Turkey day with the Cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by Britrock
            Anyone else think Plummers streak will be taken away by Law on Sunday? Be nice to see him get to 200 passes first though.

I'm confident about the game though. I think we should get a couple of picks, as Mawae is out for them too, so we should get pressure from all over the line. Hopefully we can get another lead, because their passing attack is 27th in the NFL (159.6 yds/g) and not a particularly scary thought.
            Yea i always have that lingering feeling Plummer might throw a pick and just how its going to feel like a punch in the gut. I really just want total domination in this game. Sacks,turnovers,touchdowns,stuffing the run,denying the pass,everything.
            Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

A shutout would be extremely fitting......
              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

thanks for the post

Comment

Another review.

On paper, this game looks like a mismatch. But that's what I like most about the NFL -- the illusion that there are sure things, guarantees and locks in the National Football League.

No one knows for sure what will happen when two professional football teams meet. Remember, the [Packers] went into [Atlanta] and surprised a lot of people. The [Vikings] just made beating the Giants look like there was no way they were [struggling] before the game started. If the Broncos come into [this game] with an inflated opinion of themselves and a deflated opinion of their rivals, they will get caught in the oldest trap in the sports world. That's why this game interests me -- the thought of seeing an upset. Remember, the only reason we really enjoy winning is the risk of losing and that risk, as always, exists in this matchup.
                  This is a review for another game (conveniently edited), the MNF game agains the Bengals. There are some scary similarities. And the Jets beat the then unbeaten Bucs.

Hopefully the Broncos don't get overconfident.

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
                    SHort version as follows...

Jets give up 135 yards a game on the ground.

Denver has two running backs that could each get 135 yards on sunday.

Jets D has some playmakers, but not enough.

Jets O ....nuff said!

Broncos must not look past the Jets to their match-up on Turkey day with the Cowboys.
                    I knew I could count on you WTM.
                    Emancipate your mind!
                    The People's Poster

Comment

Read my lips: The Broncos will not lose this season in Mile High.................

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
                        This is a review for another game (conveniently edited), the MNF game agains the Bengals. There are some scary similarities. And the Jets beat the then unbeaten Bucs.

Hopefully the Broncos don't get overconfident.

Yup. People are getting way too overconfident here. We still have to play 60 minutes of football against a professional team that still has a lot of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
                          Yup. People are getting way too overconfident here.
                          I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I'm extremely confident going into this game. I truly believe we have a shot at the shutout this week since the Jets cannot rely on their passing game to bring them back into it.

Originally posted by Perry1977
                          We still have to play 60 minutes of football against a professional team that still has a lot of talent.
                          I am perfectly happy going into this game so confident because I will be nowhere near the field and will be playing 60 minutes of DRINK THAT BEER!

Note: The fact that we have only a few days to prepare for the Cowboys does actually have me a bit worried about both of these games.
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
                            And the Jets beat the then unbeaten Bucs.
                            That was impressive when it happened, but the 49ers beat the Bucs too... I'm no longer impressed. Besides, this was the game after the Bucs Cadillac broke down.

We can't look past any game, but hopefully it won't be too much of a challenge to beat an injury depleted Jets team. I'd like to see a shutout this week.

Comment

When does take 2 come in?

Official Knowshon Rockwell Moreno Fan Club Member 1

Comment

Working...
                              X