Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
    Excellent Post...

If we could only afford two of the following, we would have an even better team next year.

Adam Archuleta STL S

John Abraham NYJ DE

Steve Hutchinson SEA OG

David Givens NE WR

Reggie Wayne IND WR

Joe Jurevicius SEA WR
    I would LOVE to see us get Archuleta this time around... if I remember correctly we were looking hard at him in the draft, and the Rams took him one pick before us, and the Colts did the same thing with Freeny a year or to later if I am not mistaken... (which I very possibly could be)

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
      I heard that Shanny thinks that Nalen is the offensive MVP for the Broncos this year, and if Nalen wants to return he will. Shanny will pay him. The guy is playing great. He is like the coming of the next Bruce Mathews, plays great year after year.

Do you think we will cut EE, Brown and Pryce and try to resign for smaller contracts?
      Oh, there is no doubt about having to cut/restructure EE, Brown, and Pryce.

Nalen's cap charge is too high to just pay him. If I remember its near or at 10 million as well. Something will need to be done there.

Lepsis is going to be a FA, I'd argue he's the most important player to resign bar none. He'll be the best OT and might be too expensive.

The only thing I know for certain is that its going to be a very interesting offseason and we are going to have to lose some key players. At this point, my best guess is that Ekuban, Nalen, and Brown won't be back. And I think we only afford one out of Pryce, Lepsis, and Warren. My money is on Lepsis.

Comment

I was wrong Archuleta went 4 in front of us... we got Middlebrooks yee haw!

And I was Way off about Freeney...
        BroncoFanCam
        110% Raider Hater
        Last edited by BroncoFanCam; 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          Oh, there is no doubt about having to cut/restructure EE, Brown, and Pryce.

Nalen's cap charge is too high to just pay him. If I remember its near or at 10 million as well. Something will need to be done there.

Lepsis is going to be a FA, I'd argue he's the most important player to resign bar none. He'll be the best OT and might be too expensive.

The only thing I know for certain is that its going to be a very interesting offseason and we are going to have to lose some key players. At this point, my best guess is that Ekuban, Nalen, and Brown won't be back. And I think we only afford one out of Pryce, Lepsis, and Warren. My money is on Lepsis.
          Nalen is the most important player on the offense. He calls out all blocking assignments on blitzes and on runs. The stretch cut back runs that Denver always does, the RB's always cut back where Nalen is making key blocks. Remember Shanny is an offensive mind and he knows how vitale it is to have these guys blocking. Denver is proving more and more than offensive line cohesiveness is more important than individual talent. If it aint broke don't fix it.

The only way I see them letting go either Lepsis or Nalen is if Myers and Pears on the practice squad are making big strides. Both Myers and Pears, a sixth round pick and rookie UFA respectively are like Nalen and Lepsis in the mid 90's seventh round pick and Rookie UFA. If PJ Alexander wasn't injured, things might be a little different. His development has been set back. Also Carswell who knows the system very well might not play again. Sewell retiring put a kink in their plans also. Oline will be first and foremost position addressed this upcoming off season.

The draft will also determine a lot of things also. Minnesota Gophers have a similar scheme and I won't be surprised if Denver picks up either Eslinger or Setterstrom who are good prospects. Denver will probably draft at least two Olineman this year to add depth.
          BroncoRT
          Special Teams
          Last edited by BroncoRT; 11-17-2005, 10:02 AM.
          The three Keys to football
          1. Turnovers
          2. Field Position
          3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
            Nalen is the most important player on the offense. He calls out all blocking assignments on blitzes and on runs. The stretch cut back runs that Denver always does, the RB's always cut back where Nalen is making key blocks. Remember Shanny is an offensive mind and he knows how vitale it is to have these guys blocking. Denver is proving more and more than offensive line cohesiveness is more important than individual talent. If it aint broke don't fix it.

The only way I see them letting go either Lepsis or Nalen is if Myers and Pears on the practice squad are making big strides. Both Myers and Pears, a sixth round pick and rookie UFA respectively are like Nalen and Lepsis in the mid 90's seventh round pick and Rookie UFA. If PJ Alexander wasn't injured, things might be a little different. His development has been set back. Also Carswell who knows the system very well might not play again. Sewell retiring put a kink in their plans also. Oline will be first and foremost position addressed this upcoming off season.

The draft will also determine a lot of things also. Minnesota Gophers have a similar scheme and I won't be surprised if Denver picks up either Eslinger or Setterstrom who are good prospects. Denver will probably draft at least two Olineman this year to add depth.

i 100% precent aggree with this..denvers staple has been there o line the last couple of years.. iwould do all i could to get our o line back IF denver can get nalen and lepsis back i would be willin to part with warren pryce and the above metnioned players ...if warren is in his free agent year i think hes playing lights out for a good contract and i just dont see the production giving him a huge contract ...same thing with brown..

i think denver should swing to the defensive line in the draft and free agency market if we can get back our o line

if i could pick one guy from the list that i feel could come in and contribute that would be mathis of indy GETSTO THE QB
            The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
            While he sits by his hearth at home.
            Quickly finds when questioned by others .
            That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

The thing that really stood out to me was all the freakin quality DEs that were going to be available. I mean, holy jeebus! It's going to be a buyer's market, and this is the one position we will likely need to be buying.

Courtney Brown and Ebenezor Ekuban will free up 12 million between them. If we cut Pryce, that's another 10.5 million off the books. We are 27.5 million over the cap, so cutting those guys there will help trim that number by a lot, even though some signing bonuses will likely still apply in Brown and Pryce's cases.

Still, we've got to get enough under the cap to be able to make quality offers to Warren and Lepsis, who unfortunately, are both the premier players at their positions. We could be outbid on Lepsis by the Texans or any number of teams, and the same goes with Warren. If a team needs a DT, he's going to be in demand, and I still believe he wants to be in a defense that lets him pass rush the majority of the time and not clog.

Then we have a decision on Nalen still who has been having his best season ever this year. What do we do there. We've got depth, but do we want to let a lifelong Bronco superstar walk to another team?

The good news is that regardless, with two 1st rounders, we should be able to get two talented starters wherever we need them for relatively cheap. I mean, look at the Chargers this year, they plugged two big holes with Castillo and Merriman, and both have been playing great.
              I see the following, subject to changed circumstances, but as of right now:

1. Pryce will re-negotiate his conract again. I don't know how long he can keep doing this, but he clearly has no problem with re-negotiating. He's said publicly that the Broncos gave him the BIG contract years ago so he doesn't mind deferred money. It's not like he needs a big paycheck. He's the best DL on the team this season, so I see Shanahan trying to re-sign him assuming he goes an entire year without injury. The cap result of doing this could very well be equal to the cap hit of cutting him, taking into account the accelerated signing bonus from last year, so keeping him makes sense.

2. Lepsis. The Broncos have to find a way to sign him. He will be expensive, but they simply can't afford to let him go. The earlier plan was to let him become a FA, then move Foster to LT. I don't think you can afford to do that. It's not at all clear that Foster would be as good at LT. He's better off staying at RT where his size matches up well against the power-rushers he faces week in and week out. Of course, moving Foster opens up a hole at RT too. Keeping Lepsis should be the Broncos #1 off-season priority!

3. Gerrard Warren. The other top priority is signing Warren. You keep saying he wants to move. He's said over and over how happy he is here and how much fun he's having playing here. Considering that getting out of Cleveland to a playoff team is like a "get out of jail free" card, there's no reason not to believe him! There's no reason why he can't work out something if he doesn't demand the absolute biggest contract he can possibly get. If the Broncos get to the AFC championship game (and there's no reason why they can't) I think he'll want to be part of that rather than going to a team that's struggling. That would be a step backwards. Sure he might make some more $, but he's going to get > $10 million either way.

4. Courtney Brown. He's played well, but $8 million sigining bonus + $1.4 million salary is WAY out of line for him. I just can't see the Broncos picking up his contract at all. Maybe he re-negotiates and they cut or trade Pryce, but I doubt it. Brown is probably gone.

5. Ekuban. I can't see him staying at $4+ million a year. He's a cap casualty waiting to happen. Perhaps Shanahan will find a way to re-negotiate and keep him as a cheaper alternative to Brown and Pryce, but I doubt it. He's just not worth it. His real salary ought to be about $1.7 million or so. There are plenty of other DL who are about that good for a LOT less money.

This also doesn't say anything about the potential need for a #1 or #2 WR. I would expect Shanahan to look during FA for a potential game-breaking WR, since Lelie hasn't exactly set the season on fire and Rod Smith is not getting any younger. The Broncos could draft a WR with 1 of their two #1 picks, but Shanahan doesn't like to do that, and here at least he's right! The percentage of first round WR TOTAL BUSTS is probably greater than at any other position. For examples look no farther than our very own David Terrell (#8 pick of the 1st round). Another perfect example is Charles Rodgers (who will be cut this off-season) (#2 overall pick of 2003). Cincinatti's Big Bust 2000 overall #4 pick Peter Warwick is another good example.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                I see the following, subject to changed circumstances, but as of right now:

1. Pryce will re-negotiate his conract again. I don't know how long he can keep doing this, but he clearly has no problem with re-negotiating. He's said publicly that the Broncos gave him the BIG contract years ago so he doesn't mind deferred money. It's not like he needs a big paycheck. He's the best DL on the team this season, so I see Shanahan trying to re-sign him assuming he goes an entire year without injury. The cap result of doing this could very well be equal to the cap hit of cutting him, taking into account the accelerated signing bonus from last year, so keeping him makes sense.

2. Lepsis. The Broncos have to find a way to sign him. He will be expensive, but they simply can't afford to let him go. The earlier plan was to let him become a FA, then move Foster to LT. I don't think you can afford to do that. It's not at all clear that Foster would be as good at LT. He's better off staying at RT where his size matches up well against the power-rushers he faces week in and week out. Of course, moving Foster opens up a hole at RT too. Keeping Lepsis should be the Broncos #1 off-season priority!

3. Gerrard Warren. The other top priority is signing Warren. You keep saying he wants to move. He's said over and over how happy he is here and how much fun he's having playing here. Considering that getting out of Cleveland to a playoff team is like a "get out of jail free" card, there's no reason not to believe him! There's no reason why he can't work out something if he doesn't demand the absolute biggest contract he can possibly get. If the Broncos get to the AFC championship game (and there's no reason why they can't) I think he'll want to be part of that rather than going to a team that's struggling. That would be a step backwards. Sure he might make some more $, but he's going to get > $10 million either way.

4. Courtney Brown. He's played well, but $8 million sigining bonus + $1.4 million salary is WAY out of line for him. I just can't see the Broncos picking up his contract at all. Maybe he re-negotiates and they cut or trade Pryce, but I doubt it. Brown is probably gone.

5. Ekuban. I can't see him staying at $4+ million a year. He's a cap casualty waiting to happen. Perhaps Shanahan will find a way to re-negotiate and keep him as a cheaper alternative to Brown and Pryce, but I doubt it. He's just not worth it. His real salary ought to be about $1.7 million or so. There are plenty of other DL who are about that good for a LOT less money.

This also doesn't say anything about the potential need for a #1 or #2 WR. I would expect Shanahan to look during FA for a potential game-breaking WR, since Lelie hasn't exactly set the season on fire and Rod Smith is not getting any younger. The Broncos could draft a WR with 1 of their two #1 picks, but Shanahan doesn't like to do that, and here at least he's right! The percentage of first round WR TOTAL BUSTS is probably greater than at any other position. For examples look no farther than our very own David Terrell (#8 pick of the 1st round). Another perfect example is Charles Rodgers (who will be cut this off-season) (#2 overall pick of 2003). Cincinatti's Big Bust 2000 overall #4 pick Peter Warwick is another good example.

I agree with your theories.

I think we can afford Lepsis or Warren. Not both. That's a tough call.

I am sticking to my guns with the comments Warren has made his entire life, that he wants to be in a scheme where he attacks and can pass rush, not clog. He's made the same statements this season.

I ask you this....if you're viewed around the entire league as this big malcontent with attitude issues, and you are in your contract year....how would you act?

The truth is whether he hates playing in Denver or loves it, he's going to say all the right things about being a team player and hoping to stick around. He's not an idiot, he knows he needs to portray a team-first attitude to get the money. Could he be telling the truth? Sure. Could he simply be playing the part? You betcha.

We'll find out this offseason.

I tend to believe a leopard doesn't change his spots.

Comment

David Carr Hou

I could have sworn he signed a 6 year contract when he was drafted. Is there an out clause after the 4th year or something?

See Yuz.

Comment

Working...
                  X