Best Corner of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Corner of all time

This is a very tough desicion....I'm gonna go with Neon Deon "Primetime"....with Darryl Green at second. I also think that Champ has to fit in there somewhere. What do you guys think?
    "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
    R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

I dont think Deon tackled well enough to be the best of all time. That being said, I dont know who I think the best is, either.

Comment

Rhonde Barber..only corner in history to record 20 int's and 20 sacks..he can tackle too...
      sigpic
      When you wanna win the game you gotta play it Bucc_Nasty!!
      ^^THX SNK^^^^
      You Da Man

Comment

Yeah, gotta go with D. Sanders. I just remember watching so many games where if the ball was thrown to his area, NO WAY it was caught...and it was probably intercepted...and very likely taken for a touchdown. Champ is great, but I still get worried when the ball is thrown in his direction. Deon gave you total confidence.
        Go Broncos!!!

Comment

Green

I don't know how you couldn't give it to Green. He was like the Jerry Rice of his position.

And so fast... even late in his career!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucc_Nasty
            Rhonde Barber..only corner in history to record 20 int's and 20 sacks..he can tackle too...
            He isn't even the best of his time, much less of all time. He is good and one of the best tacklers, but he is not the best of all time.
            "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
            R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Comment

To me Dieon Sanders is without question the best corner back ever. He pretty much took away a substantial aspect of every offense he faced. He was awesome, unfortunately, his brashness in his youth has tained how some view him.

Comment

Best CORNER, or best COVER corner? There have been several very good COVER corners, but relatively few good CORNERS, those who can cover deep, short, over the middle, and TACKLE!!

Deion is a popular choice. We had a similar discussion in this forum a few months ago, and Deion won the popular "vote." However, some of those who watched Deion throughout his career had reservations about whether he could be considered the best at corner. Deion may be the best along the sidelines. But he was little better than average over the middle, and corners have to go there, too. Moreover, Deion was a poor tackler. So I personally do not consider him among the best as a cornerback. Deep cover man, yes, but not cornerback, where all-around play is needed.

Then who is best?

I would start perhaps with Willie Brown. The man may have been the best all-around cornerback ever. He could cover deep, short, over the middle, and you did not run past him. He was more than a cornerback; he was a football player.

Some who might argue with that would be Larry Wilson, Herb Adderley, Darrell Green, Mel Blount, Di¢k "Night Train" Lane, Lem Barney, Mike Haynes, and Jimmy Johnson. (Whom did I miss?) Personally, I believe our own Louis Wright is, and ever will be, horribly underrated as a CB because he belongs there, too, IMO. So does Champ Bailey.

Nope. After considering all those, it's still Willie Brown. The best of all-time.

-----

Comment

Any of these gents:

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
                  Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
                  Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
                  Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
                  Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
                  Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976 Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979
                  **** (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965
                  Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994
                  Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977

BTW, they are all Hall of Famers.........................

Hall of Fame CBs

Comment

I will have to go with Deion Sanders

As the cover corner I'm going with Deion Sanders. But there are many good CBs who have played in the league. Deion was by no means a good tackler....

I like Darrel Green. I think Deion and Mel Blount could make a toss up.
                    Lester Hayes was decent. I've heard that **** (Night Train) Lane was a good one too.
                    Emancipate your mind!
                    The People's Poster

Comment

Here's my top 5:

1) Louie Wright
                      2) Deion Sanders
                      3) Darrell Green
                      4) Champ Bailey
                      5) **** Lane

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                      - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by PR-Broncomaniac
                        Any of these gents:

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Herb Adderley (CB) 1961-1972
                        Lem Barney (CB) 1967-1977
                        Mel Blount (CB) 1970-1983
                        Willie Brown (CB) 1963-1978
                        Mike Haynes (CB) 1976-1989
                        Jimmy Johnson (CB) 1961-1976 Paul Krause (S) 1964-1979
                        **** (Night Train) Lane (CB) 1952-1965
                        Ronnie Lott (CB-S) 1981-1994
                        Mel Renfro (S-CB) 1964-1977

BTW, they are all Hall of Famers.........................

Hall of Fame CBs
                        I left Mel Renfro out because, although he was one of the greatest free safeties, he was later a good-to-great CB but does not belong in elite company as a CB, IMO.

One can go to the HOF to find some of the greats, but not all of them. For instance, I could have listed Lester Hayes, who may have been as good as Haynes, though for not as long as Haynes. Jim Marsalis was also a terror in his time, but perhaps not consistently enough to be elite. Just a couple examples.

The difference is, one can look up the players, or one can watch them. For most, it is too late to watch them. Not for me.

BTW, I am still waiting for someone to catch me on an "error" I made in naming players in my original post in this thread.

EDIT: Let me put it this way: CP to the person who catches that error.

-----
                        Last edited by topscribe; 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Prime Time

I would have to go with Deion Sanders. He was the only corner that I can remember that would absolutely change an offensive gameplan. Darrell Green was another great one, but teams weren't afraid to throw to his side. I know Deion didn't like to tackle, but not even having the ball thrown on your side of the field is just ridiculous. I think it's premature to even consider Champ as 1 of the greatest at this point. Although Champ is good, he struggles defending the long ball WAAAYYYY too much. (even when completely healthy)

Comment

I got into football when the Niners and Cowboys ruled the land, so I haven't had the fortune of watching those other great players named so far.

My vote goes to Deion Sanders. I've never seen anyone take away half the field like he did. Yeah he diden't tackle too well, but those cover skills were so special it diden't matter.

Darrell Green would be my second choice.
                            You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Are you talking about Richard Night Train Lane.
                              Since it won't allow me to put the nic name of a guy. ddiick Lane
                              Emancipate your mind!
                              The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                              X