Best Corner of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MindField
    You have a different memory than I do of those days. Sure, Largent won his share of battles, as all great players do, but there were other games that Wright completely shut him down.

But whatever, Largent himself ranks Wright with Mike Haynes as the toughest Corners he ever faced.

I don't think Largent was ever "completely shut down".

Comment

• Since this got kind of shadowed by comvos left and right, I, only being 23 can only go as far as back the early 80's in which I will say Darryl Green, I LOVED the 2001 Redskins D, they Had Deion, Darryl Green, Fred Smoot, and Champ, talk about two vets schoolin two rooks, oh man I wish I coulda seen some of those games!

I really like what Kelly Herndon is doing in Seattle, I wish we woulda kept him and dealt Walls...I predicted this in the beg of the season too and no one listened to me...well among my friends, I didn't say it on here

Oh well...

Comment

• Herndon is a jeckyl and Hyde type guy this season. He's split between getting burned and making great plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by topscribe
          I don't think Woodson could have run down T.O. with a bad hammy. I don't think Woodson could have run down T.O. at 100%. T.O. is just too fast, and only Champ has that kind of speed, and only with healthy legs. Other than a couple plays, Champ did a great job of covering T.O., and, as I implied, Champ was at about 75%, according to the coaches. That's not bad for covering probably the best receiver in the league.

Regarding Johnson, Champ had a rough day. Yet Woodson seems to have a rough day every time the Raiders play the Broncos. He can't handle Rod Smith. That has been demonstrated repeatedly.

Is Champ the greatest ever? I don't know . . . . at this point I doubt it. As I said in previous posts, Willie Brown and Di¢k "Night Train" Lane get my vote, maybe as a tie. But today, I will maintain Champ is in a class by himself.

IMHO.

-----

i agree, woodson is overrated. if he could ever stay healthy he would be one of the best the league, but thats a pretty big if.

as far as champ being in a class by himself, i dont know if i agree with that. while i do think he is the best corner in the game today, i dont think its a case of champ and then everybody else. mccallister in baltimore is right there with him, despite the ravens sucking this year. same with ty law. he may have lost a step, but speed was never his biggest weapon anyways. also that kid in houston, danta robinson (i think) is a damn good football player. two years from now, he may be the best corner in the game. i also give honorable mention to hall in atlanta, watching that little guy shut down TO really opened my eyes, and to marcus truffant in seattle. he hasnt taken as big a step in his development this year as i thought he would, but he is a good all-around corner.

so while i agree that champ has the top rung, i wouldnt give him the whole top tier to himself.
          "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

• Originally posted by bcbronc
            i agree, woodson is overrated. if he could ever stay healthy he would be one of the best the league, but thats a pretty big if.

as far as champ being in a class by himself, i dont know if i agree with that. while i do think he is the best corner in the game today, i dont think its a case of champ and then everybody else. mccallister in baltimore is right there with him, despite the ravens sucking this year. same with ty law. he may have lost a step, but speed was never his biggest weapon anyways. also that kid in houston, danta robinson (i think) is a damn good football player. two years from now, he may be the best corner in the game. i also give honorable mention to hall in atlanta, watching that little guy shut down TO really opened my eyes, and to marcus truffant in seattle. he hasnt taken as big a step in his development this year as i thought he would, but he is a good all-around corner.

so while i agree that champ has the top rung, i wouldnt give him the whole top tier to himself.
            I agree completely with this.. good post

Comment

• Originally posted by Bucc_Nasty
              Rhonde Barber..only corner in history to record 20 int's and 20 sacks..he can tackle too...

He benefits from bein a zone corner, he isnt very fast for a corner, sub 4.4 speed
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• Originally posted by bcbronc

Good points. However, I have (a healthy) Champ heads and shoulders above everyone you mentioned, except for McAlister. You are dead on with him. McAlister is from the University of Arizona, so I had the privilege of watching him throughout his college career. They just placed him out there and forgot about his side of the field.

However, Champ is special. He may not be "heads and shoulders" over McAlister, but I would take Champ first, were we choosing sides. Coyer had it right last year when I said that they showed the 10 or so times Champ was beaten, but they neglected to show the 500+ times he won. Moreover, I watched a Baltimore game a couple weeks ago or so . . . . I forget the opponent, but I distinctly remember McAlister getting burned three times in a row in the first quarter. So it happens to all of them.

-----

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ_5256
                  This is a very tough desicion....I'm gonna go with Neon Deon "Primetime"....with Darryl Green at second. I also think that Champ has to fit in there somewhere. What do you guys think?

well I don't think he was the best....but I really enjoyed watching James Hasty when he played for KC...
                  Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

• The popular choice for me is gonna be Louis Wright.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
                      --- "Neon" cannot be considered an all around DB --- he had speed, and was a great cover guy --- BUT --- he was afraid to take a hit or make a tackle !!!

--- team would rarely throw to his side, because of his cover ability and his penchant for INTs --- he limited teams to one side of the field ---

--- but he would not hit, tackle, or blitz --- he does not make it as a top back IMO

--- i watched "Neon" since Florida State --- like i said before, the guy had speed and could cover and make INTs --- but he would not give up his body for the team --- therefore, he cannot be considered in the same category with real "top" notch DBs of NFL history !!!

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                      The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                      http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                      My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

• Originally posted by Bucc_Nasty
                        Rhonde Barber..only corner in history to record 20 int's and 20 sacks..he can tackle too...

Ronde Barber? All he does is tackle, he never get picks. With all those sacks and tackles he should be playing linebacker, not DB. I'll go with Deon.

The sickest Sig ever. Created by Snk16.

Comment

• Well . . .

Originally posted by Elway1983
                          Ronde Barber? All he does is tackle, he never get picks. With all those sacks and tackles he should be playing linebacker, not DB. I'll go with Deon.
                          You reject a guy who is strong at tackling and weak at covering, yet you go with another who can cover deep but is weak on short and crossing routes and won't tackle.

Why not go with a football player?? Neither one of those guys would be my first pick even out of this generation, let alone all-time.

-----

Comment

Working...
                          X