Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've realized over the past few weeks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAYNETRAYNE
    replied
    Well....

Ron Dayne wasnt brought here for nothing, its unfortunate he cant display his skills more often b/c of the sucess bell and ma have had. but Dayne has shown nothing but greatness and that he fits this system very well. he shown it every oppurtunity he's been given. he had no shot whatsoever his 5yes in nyg, and now everybody wnats to label him a bust. I truly beleive we havent seen the last of Dayne, the man is hungry for playing time, and the team is gonna need him during this second half of the season. dont count him out yet, he still deserves his shot.

Leave a comment:

• ReleaseTheBeast7
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Knight
    Are you hinting that we should pick up Shaun Alexander?
    Take it how you want to.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    I like MA's heart, but I don't like his speed. I think that next season, you will definatly see Bell being the featured back. MA will be yet ANOTHER year older, and he isn't the youngest man on the team now.

Tatum's BIGGEST challenge is pass blocking. Same thing with Johnson in KC. There are ways to work around that, and work ON that. MA is a great guy. A hard worker. Someone that probably didn't get the respect he deserves for his athletic ability. He's a tough guy. But he isn't really a "feature" type back in the NFL. Not for the long haul. I think its important to have TB as the speedster, because Mike just can't take it to the house.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    I like the way we do it now also... Thunder and Lightning... There are plenty out there that can provide that kind of punch, and then again, maybe Tater could bulk up a little, hopefully not sacrifice too much speed, and gain some endurance (if that is a problem).
    What I'm glad of is that we got rid of Clinton Rodman!!! His mom is dressing him REAL funny, now he just needs to get the tattoos and the hair dye thing going.

Leave a comment:

• WildHorse
    replied
    Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
    That Tatum isn't our franchise back, he's not even a feature back. Look at our past RBs, Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, and even Clinton to a certain extent, they were all known as power backs... Well, Tatum doesn't have that power and thrust in him, he's the quick, explosive back. Sure, it's fun to watch him, but it's not fun to know that he's not the future.

I want to know who the future back is on this team, if there is one to this point. Tatum isn't a Denver type RB, he's a homerun hitter, what we need is a power back that has enough strength to pull a few guys and get 3 or 4 extra yards.

If you take out Tatum's big runs, he would end up with like a 3.3 yard average (Just estimating, didn't research it), and once Mike the Marine retires or leaves, he's going to be the guy that carries the ball 30-35 times a game? I don't think so.

I mean, I like Tatum, but I don't see him going anywhere far in this Denver backfield. Maybe we should try and look for a RB that would work in this system? I don't know, it's just a random thought, and I don't like what the future is looking like for this Denver running game.

The line is getting old, the system is slowly changing, we can't just throw anyone in there anymore and have them have success. Maybe we should start looking for the FRANCHISE RB of the Denver Broncos this offseason.
    I agree that Tatum may not be the featured back of the future, but his change of pace is great!

I definitely and strongly disagee on the future of the running game out of Denver. I see no signs that it's done poorly over this season and last compared to other years. It's still in the top two in the NFL and probably #1 if you remove Vick's rushing yardage.

I also feel that recent evidence suggests that the broncos can plug a wide range of RBs in there and have success (Gary, Anderson, Droughns, Anderson/Bell, etc).

If you have such measureable success with middle-round draft choices at RB, why (in the modern salary cap world of the NFL) would you spend more money than you had to at RB when you can have top-of-the-league success for much less. Spend your scarce $$ where it's harder for the broncos to have success.

Likewise, the broncos have traditionally had this rushing success with low-mid round draft choices on OL (or through free agency). Why pay more when you don't need to?

Their system on offense seems to allow for top 5 offense-type success with mid round draft choices almost all the way around. If you want to invest high round picks, lets go for the killer DE or DT if available. Don't waste high picks where we don't need them!

Leave a comment:

• OrangeShadow
    replied
    i also dont think its fair to say this in his second year

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
    That Tatum isn't our franchise back, he's not even a feature back. Look at our past RBs, Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, and even Clinton to a certain extent, they were all known as power backs... Well, Tatum doesn't have that power and thrust in him, he's the quick, explosive back. Sure, it's fun to watch him, but it's not fun to know that he's not the future.

I want to know who the future back is on this team, if there is one to this point. Tatum isn't a Denver type RB, he's a homerun hitter, what we need is a power back that has enough strength to pull a few guys and get 3 or 4 extra yards.

If you take out Tatum's big runs, he would end up with like a 3.3 yard average (Just estimating, didn't research it), and once Mike the Marine retires or leaves, he's going to be the guy that carries the ball 30-35 times a game? I don't think so.

I mean, I like Tatum, but I don't see him going anywhere far in this Denver backfield. Maybe we should try and look for a RB that would work in this system? I don't know, it's just a random thought, and I don't like what the future is looking like for this Denver running game.

The line is getting old, the system is slowly changing, we can't just throw anyone in there anymore and have them have success. Maybe we should start looking for the FRANCHISE RB of the Denver Broncos this offseason.

Are you hinting that we should pick up Shaun Alexander?

Although somelike that would be extremely intertesting, I think we're better spending next to nothing on "unknown" backs and still getting great production out of them.

Leave a comment:

• zarub
    replied
    I don't understand. I wasn't sold on TB during the off-season and thought Anderson should carry the load.

I was promptly shot down......all I got was"How uninformed I was", "Did you not see Tatum run?" "MA is too old, slow, injured, etc...," and I didn't believe the Bell hype.

But after watching him run this year, and not coming into the season as a buyer, I think he will be as good as any running back we've ever had. Give him another year or two, and look out!

Let him grow, let him learn, and then watch as he brings us the Lombardi trophy.

Leave a comment:

• AZforBroncos
    replied
    tatum is still growing, its only his second year. he's shown he's got a great nose for the open field, and he beats dbs in races.

he'll learn better pass blocking, as well as to be a better receiver out of the backfield (these come with time, again he's only in his second year)...the only question mark on him is whether or not he can stay healthy, which for a running back is a huge question. even if he cant maintain more than 15 carries a game, you can always pick up a good change up back in free agency or in a mid round in the draft...a guy like eddie george, travis henry, or tj duckett would be great, and pretty cheap as well.

whether or not bell can be a franchise back at all remains to be seen, if this is a role he's willing to take on, he'll probably need to put on another 10 pounds of muscle to handle the pounding as well as be more punishing inside.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny7
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    Bobby Turner is an excellent running backs coach and can do wonders.
    Very true, BT is the man. I hope he proves me wrong, it wouldn't surprise me all that much.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny7
    That's true, we haven't run him more than 15 times enough to truly find out, but I suspect Shanahan has good reasons. Tatum fumbled and turned it over on his 16th carry last week. Granted, it was a night train hit. And, yeah, his need for improvement in pass protection and receiving makes him not an every down back. I think if Tatum got those things happening and got more of an "up the middle" game going too, he could be a great all around back. My bet is against it.
    Fair enough. I can understand your reasoning.

I would just say to not give up hope. Bobby Turner is an excellent running backs coach and can do wonders.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny7
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    How often have we seen him run 16 times or more? I believe only twice. I'm not sure we know how Bell would respond to being a feature back.

The biggest reason I see for not featuring him right now is his need for improvement in pass protection and receiving. But I'm sure Bobby Turner is constantly working with him on those areas.

I don't know if Bell will ever be our main guy. But I think it's too early to count him out.
    That's true, we haven't run him more than 15 times enough to truly find out, but I suspect Shanahan has good reasons. Tatum fumbled and turned it over on his 16th carry last week. Granted, it was a night train hit. And, yeah, his need for improvement in pass protection and receiving makes him not an every down back. I think if Tatum got those things happening and got more of an "up the middle" game going too, he could be a great all around back. My bet is against it.

Leave a comment:

• ludo
    replied
    I still like Bell as the future. Just because he only gets long gains most the time doesnt mean he isnt a hard runner. I have seen plenty of times where he hits the hole fast and drags the guy for 2-3 yards.
    Bell wont make yards if he is hit at the line, but even MA only gets 1 or 2 at best when hes hit.

I like Maroney out of Minni to be honest. But Bell if given the chance will be a solid starter.

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    I think he can be the Franchise back. Mike simply likes him in this role. Let him go elsewhere and we'd see him getting the ball 25 times........he'll be in the Pro Bowl alongside LT.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny7
    I agree. I like Tatum...when he carries 15 times or less. He is a great "2" in the "One-Two" punch that is the Denver running game. But, yeah, he's no franchise back, and I don't think ever will be.
    How often have we seen him run 16 times or more? I believe only twice. I'm not sure we know how Bell would respond to being a feature back.

The biggest reason I see for not featuring him right now is his need for improvement in pass protection and receiving. But I'm sure Bobby Turner is constantly working with him on those areas.

I don't know if Bell will ever be our main guy. But I think it's too early to count him out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X